Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Does the G37 Ride Better than the G35c

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Well for anyone who has a G35c you know first hand it ain't no Lexus. I just want to make sure the car rides MUCH more smoother, I'm a little older now, looking for a more quite, comfortable ride especially on the highways. "Detailed" is exactly the ride I do not want from the G37, unless were getting paid to survey the roads for every bump and uneven pavement. There's only one supsension option right?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go drive the car. It is a night and day difference. I had an 04 G35C and the G37 is exactly what I was looking for as far as ride, quietness and refinement. I borrowed my buddies IS250 for a couple days just to compare and I honestly think the G37 holds its own against that car in terms of overall quality. So not only do you get Lexus quality and ride, but it's much more fun to drive
Old 11-14-2007, 09:54 PM
S6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One man's "comfortable ride" is another man's "detachment from the road". If I wanted to be isolated from the road, I would want a Lexus. It’s all subjective. I remember a guy describing to me how much he loves his Lexus by saying “you can’t feel the road at all!”. For him, that’s how you define a good ride. Not me.

Infiniti can’t seem to make up their mind if they want to be positioned to the performance side of Lexus or if they want to be Lexus. It seems every time they make a statement on performance (i.e. early Q45), they later “refine” it into something that is softer and has less performance edge. The new front of the G37 even looks like they targeted the Lexus. I wish they could pick an identity and stick with it.

To hear you guys talk about the “better” suspension being more “comfortable” makes me want to install performance springs, 20” wheels, and lower profile tires. Actually, during the few days that I’ve had my new G37, I find myself driving it slower than I drove my G35. I think that might mean I’m less “comfortable”.

Sure, I love the better engine, the vastly improved clutch, the great linkage, the higher-end interior, but I never once found myself wishing my G35 had softer suspension, so my biggest reservation in buying the G37 was that they “improved” the suspension the way you guys (and Car and Driver) have explained it.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
ABQG35c

If only Infiniti could put the M5 technology into their cars. Flip a selector switch to the proper place, and your car turns from grandma's DeVille to a Formula like performance. This would go for all Engine, exhaust, suspension, etc.

Oh well...
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
Well for anyone who has a G35c you know first hand it ain't no Lexus. I just want to make sure the car rides MUCH more smoother, I'm a little older now, looking for a more quite, comfortable ride especially on the highways. "Detailed" is exactly the ride I do not want from the G37, unless were getting paid to survey the roads for every bump and uneven pavement. There's only one supsension option right?
There are two suspension options. The G35S is the more detailed one. The G37 is stil a sporty ride however. The only thing that I can say is to test drive it. It is much more comfy than the G35C. However if detailed is what you are trying to stay away from them perhaps the G35 Sedan may be more suitable for your taste. I can tell you that my G37S rides as comfortable as my Pathfinder on most roads though.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQG35c
If only Infiniti could put the M5 technology into their cars. Flip a selector switch to the proper place, and your car turns from grandma's DeVille to a Formula like performance.
Nissan HAS done this...it's called the nissan GT-R

you don't expect damper adjustability on a $40K car do you?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:47 PM
Gyoza

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cvt
Nissan HAS done this...it's called the nissan GT-R

you don't expect damper adjustability on a $40K car do you?
Damper adjustability? I think he is talking about the button that activates the extra 100hp (400hp-> 500hp)

In any case, but yeah, not until the G37 gets a V-10 will that happen, and then would they call it a G50?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:49 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wish my G37S had this as an option.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y
Old 11-15-2007, 04:30 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gyoza
Damper adjustability? I think he is talking about the button that activates the extra 100hp (400hp-> 500hp)
whoops...we were talking about ride comfort and i got confused...my mistake
Old 11-16-2007, 12:45 AM
ElixXxeR

Originally Posted by S6MT
One man's "comfortable ride" is another man's "detachment from the road". If I wanted to be isolated from the road, I would want a Lexus. It’s all subjective. I remember a guy describing to me how much he loves his Lexus by saying “you can’t feel the road at all!”. For him, that’s how you define a good ride. Not me.

Infiniti can’t seem to make up their mind if they want to be positioned to the performance side of Lexus or if they want to be Lexus. It seems every time they make a statement on performance (i.e. early Q45), they later “refine” it into something that is softer and has less performance edge. The new front of the G37 even looks like they targeted the Lexus. I wish they could pick an identity and stick with it.

To hear you guys talk about the “better” suspension being more “comfortable” makes me want to install performance springs, 20” wheels, and lower profile tires. Actually, during the few days that I’ve had my new G37, I find myself driving it slower than I drove my G35. I think that might mean I’m less “comfortable”.

Sure, I love the better engine, the vastly improved clutch, the great linkage, the higher-end interior, but I never once found myself wishing my G35 had softer suspension, so my biggest reservation in buying the G37 was that they “improved” the suspension the way you guys (and Car and Driver) have explained it.
My sentiments verbatim. Many complained about the perceived lack of refinement in the first generaiton G35, so Infiniti made it softer, more comfortable, and quieter. But the slight harshness of the first generation car is what made it so involving. I still love the G37, but I'm no fan of the entire car industry's trend towards isolation from the road.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:54 AM
beestea

I got the G37 non sport, mainly because I didn't want to have to deal with taking tires off in the winter, and also for the softer suspension. It just isn't worth it to me to be able to do high speed cornering at the expense of ride quality. The highway's around here suck and so do the city roads (northern VA / Washington DC) and it just feels a car is gonna fall apart on some of these roads.

That being said I don't find the suspension boaty at all... they did a really good job of making a heavy *** car feel very light.

BTW, I read somewhere that the G37 non sport suspension was the same as the G35S Sedan suspension. I don't know if thats accurate or not tho.

Last edited by beestea; 11-16-2007 at 12:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:45 PM
DEC1

what does the non-sport suspension have to do with not taking the tires off in the winter?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All season vs. summer tires
Old 11-17-2007, 01:24 PM
bocatrip

The G35 Coupes suffered from terrible road noise from the distorted front end problems that were never resolved. How is the road and tire noise on the G37s?
Old 11-17-2007, 09:40 PM
sharif@forged
Former Sponsor

I havent driven the G37 non-sport, but I can tell you for certain, that the G37Sport handles significantly better than the G35 coupe when bone stock. Chassis stiffness is way up, body roll is deminished, and you the car feels firm and planted at the limit.

I do think, however, that the G37 S Coupe is setup a little on the firm side. This definately is not a velvet smooth ride, ala Lexus. I drove a customer's bmw 335 coupe, and it felt much lazier, and softer/quiter than my G37 Coupe.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Does the G37 Ride Better than the G35c