G37 Coupe
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

G37 Journey with sport package: No Handbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 11:16 PM
McGriddle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Journey with sport package: No Handbrake?

The new G37 looks like a pretty incredible car and a great deal of performance for the money. It's really grabbed my attention since I've seen the comparos! I'm seriously thinking about the G37 Journey with Sport / Premium / Nav.

Looking at the packages, though, it looks like the Sport Package on the Journey replaces the normal hand brake and replace it with a not-so-sporty foot brake! Is this the only way to get the paddle shifters on the auto Journey? Why do they do this?

For me, I don't think it's necessarily a deal breaker, but it sure does seem odd. Using a foot parking brake makes me feel like I'm getting ready to park a minivan or Ford Taurus. I've never owned a car with a foot brake before.

Hehe... I guess it's not so bad that this is my only complaint!
Old 07-21-2007, 11:25 PM
izmir41500

same thing with the previous years. get a MT.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:13 AM
LudwigB

At first I thought I would be bothered by the foot brake, but after awhile, I think I actually prefer the foot brake.

The nice thing about the G foot brake is that you don't have to reach down to release the brake using a hand-lever. Basically you step on it to set the brake. You step on it again to release it. No hand needed.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:04 AM
IvoryWhiteCoupe

i like the foot break becuase it keeps the center console clean and simple looking
Old 07-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ That's exactly why I prefer the foot brake as well.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:54 AM
Comatose

foot brake just looks ghetto to me.. i thought only old cars still used that (i know, im very wrong). Even the altima coupe auto gets a hand brake.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:11 AM
jccarr

I suspect the hand brake is a requirement for the 6MT so you can use the clutch, throttle and brake at the same time on a hill. The 07 6mt sedan gives up air conditioning vents in the center console to provide air to the rear seats it also gives up a larger arm rest. There may be a space availability issue in the design of the center console that drives them to the foot brake when there is no longer a requirement in the 5at for the hand brake.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:40 AM
McGriddle

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, I guess it does give a cleaner look to the center console. Does it give more room there, too (like a larger cup holder or extra power sockets, etc.)?

I still just find it weird that the regular G37 Journey non-Sport gets a hand brake (which I consider more sporty) and the Journey Sport get the foot brake that's less sporty.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 PM
bruddahmanmatt

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Thanks for the replies, guys. Yeah, I guess it does give a cleaner look to the center console. Does it give more room there, too (like a larger cup holder or extra power sockets, etc.)?

I still just find it weird that the regular G37 Journey non-Sport gets a hand brake (which I consider more sporty) and the Journey Sport get the foot brake that's less sporty.
Umm, only 6M/Ts have hand e-brakes buddy. If your car has a 5A/T be it a Base, Journey or Journey w/ Sport Package model your car comes with a foot e-brake. The ONLY WAY to get a hand e-brake is to join the 6M/T club. And I agree with others. The foot e-brake allows for more room on the center console. Who needs a hand e-brake in the 5A/T? You're already giving up some sportiness by going with a slushbox, so why is it necessary for you to have a hand e-brake? Plus like others said, 6M/Ts sacrifice the rear air vents due to the fact that they have a smaller center console.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:09 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bruddahmanmatt
Umm, only 6M/Ts have hand e-brakes buddy. If your car has a 5A/T be it a Base, Journey or Journey w/ Sport Package model your car comes with a foot e-brake. The ONLY WAY to get a hand e-brake is to join the 6M/T club. And I agree with others. The foot e-brake allows for more room on the center console. Who needs a hand e-brake in the 5A/T? You're already giving up some sportiness by going with a slushbox, so why is it necessary for you to have a hand e-brake? Plus like others said, 6M/Ts sacrifice the rear air vents due to the fact that they have a smaller center console.
Try sitting through Southern California traffic and I'd gladly give up a 6MT for a "slushy." Part of the reason I got a 6MT is since I don't drive the G too often.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:49 PM
MrMichael

I had the same concern you did before I bought my journey w/sport (and everything else). But it really isn't a big deal at all. Like someone else already said, you just step on it to engage and step on it again to disengage, no lever to pull no loud pop as the pedal slaps up.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:03 PM
xdram

e-break handle is a lot of fun, even more reason to go with 6MT.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:52 AM
AlterZgo

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Yes. The center console storage is larger as are the cupholders. I assume it's like the sedan also where there are rear A/C vents on the automatics w/ the foot brake. Manuals w/o the foot brake don't have rear A/C vents.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:46 AM
junyea

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can't even see the foot brake. Y even make it an issue.

The handbrake is highly visible, and makes the console look cheap.

Keep it where it is. Keeps it all clean.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Habakak

Foot brake

The problem with the foot brake is since it's out of sight, you forget it very easily. The dash light coloring scheme also does not make it easy to see the red BRAKE light sign. I constantly forget the freakin' thing. The car is so powerful you don't easily realize the brake is on, especially when youy do not have it engaged all the way. I would have prefered the center mounted handbrake lever. It's more traditional and I agree that the foot-brake belongs to the Buick-brigade. Just MO.

Quick Reply: G37 Journey with sport package: No Handbrake?