Warranty - to be or not to be?

Old 05-12-2018, 11:13 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warranty - to be or not to be?

Hi all. I'm new to the world of G verts, coming from a 2006 M35X that I am passing on to my son. THAT car has completely bullet proof for the 10 years I've owned it. Reading through the forum, it seems that lots of folks encounter issues with the roof, but the rest of the car is pretty dependable. My new to me ride is a 2013 in vibrant red with tan interior and with all of 24K on the odo. It looks virtually new and the single owner did all maintenance at a local Infiniti dealer. I got it a week ago.

Here's my question - The dealer where I bought it (non-Infiniti dealer) tried to sell me an extended warranty for $3.5K. It supposedly covered everything but normal wear items for 84 mos or 100K miles from the day I bought it. When I balked, he quoted a shorter timed plan with a few less miles for around $2.7K. I declined that too but he said I could circle back with him if I reconsider. My thought is to not take the bait but just know that, at some point, I may be out a few thousand if I have a major failure. I guess I'd rather pay it later than now. What would some of you do?

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:19 AM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
While I'm not in a G I look back and regret buying the extended warranty when I bought my used Lancer. That warranty cost put me upside down on the loan. Had I forgone the warranty I'd be well under the value of the car owed on the loan by now.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:18 PM
FSUGrad90

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warranty

Mine is a 2012 with 58K on it and I bought an aftermarket warranty through a company called Carchex 3 year bumper to bumper platinum covering the electronics and roof motor which I heard can cost upwards to 7K. The warranty wasn't cheap but has a $100 deductible Mine is a 3rd car that sits in the garage that I drive occasionally. Some might think I'm crazy but I'm also listing it on the rental car app Turo to try and pay for the warranty.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:38 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Thanks FSU. Is that Florida State? I was born in Tallahassee.

Two questions - How long have you owned your car (I'm assuming it was used when you got it) and have you had any issues with the top?
Old 05-13-2018, 12:58 PM
FSUGrad90

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NewGVert4me
Thanks FSU. Is that Florida State? I was born in Tallahassee.

Two questions - How long have you owned your car (I'm assuming it was used when you got it) and have you had any issues with the top?
Yes Florida State as CO 90 26 year season ticket holder as well.

I just bought it at the end of March and I paid 15K for it as it was a dealer buyback due to a rattle. 2 owners before me and driven 39K by the 2nd owner (Hence the great price for the dealer buyback as it shows in the title) Other than that it is in great shape and I just had the 60K checkup. So no problems yet and I have put the top up and down probably 20X since I've had it
Old 05-13-2018, 06:35 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

That's a nice color combo and it looks great. My M35X had a black interior and it was hot - not an issue for a KC winter but it isn't much fun in the summer. My new to me G has a tan interior and is much more comfortable in full-on sun. I'd like to think that the reliability of my M will be mirrored in the G. We also have another small convertible for weekend fun (1993 Miata that will beat most cars, including the G, on a curvy road), so its not like I have to drive the G top down everyday. I guess my take on the warranty is that, if the top has an issue, anything less than about $3K to fix would be a good result. Now, if it's $5K.................that's another story.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:13 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
My repairs under warranty: battery and rear window motor
Out of warranty: sun roof drains (ouch!), A/C control panel. The panel was a shot-in-the-dark repair because it was cheap ($30 shipped). If that had failed, I was looking at $700 to disassemble and reassemble the dash to check for a leak at the exchanger (no leak under the hood) or a new compressor. Add the cost of three system evacutions and fills.

Make of this what you will.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:37 PM
TheRiddler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is a 2014 with only 11k miles and I still bought an aftermarket warranty on it through carmax. It cost me $1.4k for 75k miles/5 years.

These cars are pretty bulletproof, but it's cheap peace of mind.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:36 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I’ve had the clock and steering rack replaced under extended warranty, so I’m about break even.

I think those prices are really high. There is an Infiniti dealership that sells warranties online, but I don’t remember what it’s called. My dealer matched them.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:27 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

I've seen a link to Infiniti of Scottsdale and I tried to get a quote but did not get a response. I got a quote from Carchex for 6yr or 100k total miles (currently have just under 25k) for about $2,900. I only drive about 9k a year so I would likely hit the time limit first. They will take it over 18 mos so it would be around $165/ mo. That was their "bumper to bumper" plan that covers most everything.

Who else has had issues, besides the top, with their rides and how much did it cost to fix? $2,900 will pay for a lot of repairs.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:53 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
2900 will pay for a lot of general stuff, but if you top goes - you'll be well beyond that.
It's a tough decision.. :/
Old 06-09-2018, 09:40 AM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Yes it is and I am thinking real hard about it. I tried to get an online quote from Infiniti of Scottsdale and Circle Infiniti for the elite extended warranty but haven't heard back from them. Does anyone know if they will even offer the extended warranty after the original one has expired? Thanks.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts
When I got my '08 G in 2012 I purchased the extended warranty from Courtney (Scottsdale). The warranty was about to expire and I contacted Courtney to find out if there were in options to re-new the policy. My G had under 60K miles.

Here is her response with her contact info I have:

The miles are still really low, but based off the age it will be too old to extend the Elite Protection Plan. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

Courtney Mutema J
Finance Manager
Infiniti of Scottsdale
cmutema@vtaig.com
(480)941-0055 ext 2351
(480)941-4481 fax

Also, please keep in mind that a lot of warranties are from the in-service-date not from the day you purchase the policy.
My warranty coverage was $0 deductible 96Months / 120K miles from the in-service-date NOT from when the policy was purchased.

btw, Im glad I had purchased the policy, the rear timing cover gasket went out and the $4K job was 100% covered under the warranty.

g/l
Old 06-09-2018, 12:58 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Purchased infiniti elite care during the last few months of factory warranty. Got the 96 month/100K mile coverage. Effective date was from the time warranty was purchased. Plan purchased falls under preowned vehicle plan.

Warranty - to be or not to be?-job5gq6.png
Old 06-09-2018, 05:39 PM
NewGVert4me
Registered Member

Thanks Jsolo.

Have you had any claims under the extended warranty during the last three years?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Warranty - to be or not to be?