Do you close your top at every stop?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Wayfun

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you close your top at every stop?

I picked up a 2014 convertible a couple of months ago. When we are out cruising with the top down we're reluctant to leave the top open when we go in shops or restaurants. Part of that reason is I hate to leave the very expensive wind shield there for the taking. I'm a bit concerned about the wear and tear on the system with frequent up and down. What is the opinion here? Do you close it at every stop?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Autocutter
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I close mine because I have a Handicap Mirror card so I don't don't want someone to steal it. Now when I don't use my card, I leave the top down unless I'm at a area where birds, animals or crooks hang out. In addition, if I am to be gone for longer than 30 minutes I will close the top since here in Florida the sunshine really heats & beats up up the interior.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM
daryn67

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I completely understand your concerns. I have a 2010 G37S vert and try to be mindful of how much mechanical usage I want out of my top. I try to manage my errands so I can get small trips out of the way first before opening to limit usage. When I know I have a good separation between stops or done with them all together I will pop the top and may leave it open while parked in my garage if I think I will be driving it again more in the day. I have read that allot of testing went into the durability of these hard tops. Maintenance is important. Lube the moving parts with light lubricants and wipe down access with cloth. Lube seals with baby oil. You can dip a q-tip in the oil and go along the seams. Avoid opening and closing on inclined surfaces and while moving at any speed. Keep trunk clear of obstacles that can damage the mechanism. If for any reasons you have a problem with the top malfunctioning do not for any reason try to forcibly move it with your hands even if it's stuck half way through the process of opening or closing. Sometimes, removing the battery cable for 15 minutes can reset the top. I know one thing I have learned from this forum. These top are very expensive to repair if they do break!!

Last edited by daryn67; 04-21-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:40 PM
Wayfun

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by daryn67
Maintenance is important. Lube the moving parts with light lubricants and wipe down access with cloth. Lube seals with baby oil. You can dip a q-tip in the oil and go along the seams.
Is there a guide somewhere that details the maintenance we should be doing?
Old 04-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Trezzay
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
If my top's down, it's down. I'll go a whole week without putting it back up. I pake it at work, grocery store, movies, mall, side of the road, park etc. with the top down. I will, however, roll all the windows up. I don't like opening and closing the top either. I'd like to get the most out of it before it starts having any problems.

I decided a while back to stop worrying so much and that owning a 'vert was a different lifestyle. I leave nothing in the car, or I'll lock it in the trunk with the trunk switch off.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:42 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Yep, same here. I was worried about it first, but then said - screw it. I'll enjoy it every day, every time, and if something happens - I'll deal with it then.
I'd say it gets used a couple of times a day on average. It's our daily driver and I put the top up in the work garage (8 floors of cars and everything is very dusty).
The following users liked this post:
Trezzay (04-24-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 08:50 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, same goes for me. I leave the top down, but with the windows up. Before my G I owned a BMW Z3 and I did the same. So, that's 11 years of convertible ownership and I haven't had any trouble with leaving the top down while parked in parking lots.
Though, while I normally park way at the end to avoid door dings, if the tops down I will park nearer to the stores so there's more people around.