Looking to buy a G37 this winter, question regarding the convertible...

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 PM
BluAnimal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy a G37 this winter, question regarding the convertible...

I'm definitely interested in the convertible trim as well as the coupe. I'm at the point where I want the convertible over the coupe, however I don't want to flex my budget (~$22,000) to get into a convertible and I feel I would be extremely happy with either. I find myself driving with my windows and sunroof down 95% of the time and the fact that it's a self-retractable hard top is a huge win in my book. I have heard the horror stories of the top becoming stuck, whether it was on its own or from user error (I.e. Luggage in the trunk when attempting to lower the roof). How reliable is the actual top of the convertible? I'm not the type to be forgetful and I will very, very rarely be using the trunk so I don't see myself messing it up on accident, however I am concerned with the chances of the top messing up on its own as well as the potential for a leaky roof. I live in the Midwest and the winters can be brutal here. I definitely don't want to put my roof down on a nice day in November only for it to be stuck down and followed up with a blizzard. My current car is also starting to have issues with a leaky sunroof that is depositing the rainwater into the a-pillar over the driver's seat so I'm a little wary about the convertible.
Old 10-01-2016, 05:30 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
I wouldn't say it's unreliable. The issue with this hard top is the number of moving parts and the complexity of the design, which makes it almost unserviceable by the end user.
To be perfectly honest, looking at your budget and your location (potential weather conditions), I'd suggest against the convertible. I get a few drops inside the cabin even during a normal rain or a car wash, and my car only has 15k miles on it.
Don't get me wrong, driving this car with a top down is an amazing experience and I love it every single time, but be ready to deal with leaky seals (a lot more than a sunroof), and $$$$ bill if the roof breaks and you don't have any warranty for it.
You can get a coupe for way under 20k, low millage, already boosted, you name it.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.