Hydraulic Pump for 2011 G37 Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:42 AM
Whindy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hydraulic Pump for 2011 G37 Convertible Top

I've been looking all over the internet and it seems like no one else has ever had this problem.

I was putting the top up when it kind of clunked then stopped working when it was about 3/4 closed. I turned the car off then on again. Tried to finish closing the top and was only able to get it about 95% closed. Called the dealer and had it towed in.

Dealer called. Boot cover/seals failed on the hydraulic pump due to heat. This caused the pump to fail. Parts are $3k+ and labor is $1k+. Yeah, I'm going to run right over and hand him the money.

I have a 3rd-party extended warranty, but this dealer has not seemed willing to work with it. (It's from Mercury Ins.)

I live in So Cal, so heat is a way of life here! When I mentioned that he said they usually recommend these cars be garaged. Now I KNOW something smells bad. You put a car in the garage at night--when it's cool. It's allowed out of the garage during the day...when it's hot!

1. I've skimmed the manual and find no suggestion it be garaged. Does anyone know if that is in fact a requirement?

2. If the dealer won't fix it under warranty I'll have my husband pull it and send it out to be rebuilt. Labor +/- $200. I'm sure it won't be a pretty scene but my husband and his best friend are really good with cars, mechanical things and electronics.

3. If in fact the seals failed due to heat--Is it reasonable to expect a 5 year old car in Southern California to have this problem? What would you suggest I do? Like I said, I've looked all over the net for similar problems with no results.

Thanks-W
Old 09-16-2016, 07:22 AM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
From what I've been reading, everyone recommends to just leave it to the dealer and pony up the cash due to the complexity of the mechanism.
Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in who's had and issue before.

Have you considered taking the car a dealer who will work with your 3rd party insurance? Might have to pay for another tow, but if they cover even half of the repairs, you'll come out ahead.

Either way, good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:16 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Whindy
I

I have a 3rd-party extended warranty, but this dealer has not seemed willing to work with it. (It's from Mercury Ins.)
Thanks-W
NEVER,NEVER, NEVER purchase a 3rd party warranty for anything.

They love to take your money and promise you everything until it comes time to make a claim.

When you purchase directly from the dealer it does cost more but you have not only leverage with the service manager of the dealership but Infiniti corporate as well

Lessons learned can be costly.

Telcoman
Old 09-16-2016, 06:09 PM
Whindy

Sheesh...I've been on the phone about this all day!

I bought my warranty directly from my insurance company. It was $3,000 cheaper and had the same coverage.

So the insurance company IS willing to pay for the repair. They can get the pump there on Monday for $2,466--new, OEM. The dealership can get the pump there on THURSDAY and they want $1,200 more. The insurance said they'd pay the increase but it pretty much ticked me off.

The insurance company approved everything, then the dealership could not locate a pump--it's on backorder with no ETA. The dealership seems wholly unprepared to deal with this situation--they are clueless. Can't wait to see what Monday brings...
Old 09-18-2016, 08:42 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

I wish you luck
Old 09-18-2016, 12:38 PM
Whindy

Thanks! Here's the latest. I saw the pump on the Infiniti web site for the lower dollar amount so I sent them an email to check on availability. They wrote back, 'sorry that part has been discontinued, give us your VIN and I'll see what I can find.' THAT doesn't sound promising. I've located two used pumps and an aftermarket version on the web...just in case!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Whindy

The latest

I received an email from Infiniti this morning stating that the part has been discontinued and I should look online for a used replacement part. The warranty company is doing that and I thought I would check with the dealership just see if.they have a source.

When I called service the guy I was working with is off for today and tomorrow and the guy that answered the phone said he did on that Wednesday. I was dumbfounded that he expected me to wait an additional 2 days to start working on it. I told him that was unacceptable and he asked me if I expected him to start working on it and I said I didn't care who was working on it as long as being worked on. He took my phone number and said he'd call me back but that was an hour ago.

I am continuing to look for this used part but I'm wondering if I should do anything about the completely uncooperative attitude of the staff. I've used this service department the last 5 years and it seems to taken a turn for the worse in the last 6 months.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:11 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Not sure what you can do about it.. you can take your car elsewhere? And talk poorly about them online? But other than that, there isn't much you can do. From my experience, being an a-hole and constantly calling for managers does not always end well for everyone.

Did they give you a loaner while they are working on your car? If so, I don't see why you are so worked up about it. We are all human; everyone has to take time off.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 PM
Whindy

I don't have a problem with the guy taking time off. When you work with the public though business has to continue operating in your absence. Right now the dealership is telling me the part is on indefinite backorder. I have a rental car being paid for the warranty. It is a lovely Ford Focus. Am I supposed to drive this indefinitely? Geez, I really hope not.

I normally have no need to escalate matters further up the chain of command. But this guy wasn't getting it. He thought it was completely reasonable for me to sit around waiting while they accommodate their staff. You would be surprised how cooperative companies get when you post reviews of their performance online. That and working with management are just two tools available when the business is not holding up their end of the deal.

I have not been constantly contacting management, I only asked for the manager today when the service writer did not seem capable or willing to do what he should be doing.

I ses you think I'm being impatient. What would be a reasonable time for them to fix the car?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:58 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Whindy
I ses you think I'm being impatient. What would be a reasonable time for them to fix the car?
When I needed the entire wiring harness replaced on my previous 06 G35 due to an air bag issue I had a loaner for three weeks.
With the loaner I didn't care how long it took.

You may want to keep in mind that there are customers that take good care of the service advisors and they in turn probably take better care of them than you if you get my drift.

Telcoman
Old 09-29-2016, 06:33 PM
Whindy

The end. ..

It turns out it wasn't the pump. It took them over a week to properly diagnose the problem. According to the service manager they quoted based on what they had seen in other çars...not mine. I've never seen this kind of estimate before. They need to put s tent on this circus. Taking my business elsewhere. ..
Old 09-29-2016, 07:08 PM
rdog
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
What was the issue then?
Old 09-29-2016, 07:24 PM
Whindy

The verdict

They said it was a flap and board (physical, not electronic.) I'm wondering if they used salvage parts because the flap has a dimple in it--something only a mother would notice. I also suspect they had the pump rebuilt. I had my husband look at it and he thought it was different in dirtiness, etc. than the other pump.

Whatever. I'm over it.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:27 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Well, I'm glad it's working either way. I'd be rather upset if the top wasn't functional for an extended period of time. :|
Old 09-29-2016, 07:32 PM
Whindy

Me too! It's not easy going from a G37 to a Focus

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Pump for 2011 G37 Convertible Top