Extended warranty- yes or no

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 01:34 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Extended warranty- yes or no

I just bought a 2009 Vert with 60k miles on it and it has no issues that I know of. I've had it about 6 weeks and everything works as it should. I contacted my Infiniti dearer to get a second remote programmed and 2 employees told me I really should look at getting a warranty on the car because of the price of repairs on the top. This actual car has had no known issues with the top as of yet and I know dealers love to sell warranties, but at $2344 for 4 years or $2674 for 5 years worth it?
Old 12-11-2015, 03:13 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
They really stick it to you on an older car.

I paid $2140 few months ago for an additional 8yrs/100K . Granted this was on a '12 with less than 20K miles.

It's a tough call. One major repair can cost $1000+. Do you take the gamble or not.......
Old 12-11-2015, 03:27 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
They really stick it to you on an older car.

I paid $2140 few months ago for an additional 8yrs/100K . Granted this was on a '12 with less than 20K miles.

It's a tough call. One major repair can cost $1000+. Do you take the gamble or not.......
It really is, I've never had a repair on any Toyota for over $1000 but have on Nissan before. It's the convertible top that worries me...
Old 12-11-2015, 03:32 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I build custom pc's for clients. As a sales person I try to sell 'em on the warranty. Realistically, the common part to fail is the HD. On rarer occasions i've had power supplies and motherboards fail. But hd's are very common. So, they either pay upfront or they pay later.

My concern on the 6mt was the CSC, the trans, and the rear diff bushing (although this can be replaced with an aftermarket part). It's like any other insurance, you don't need it until you do. If you don't buy it now, you'll pay for the price of a repair when needed. If you're lucky and no repair is ever needed then you've pocketed the money

I chose to have the peace of mind that any major repair will cost at most $100 (deductible).
The following users liked this post:
lashk (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 10:16 AM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As a rule, I never buy extended warranties for cars. But as soon as I saw the complicated roof mechanism I decided on breaking my rule and bought a 5 year warranty when I purchased my 2012 from the dealer.
One thing though, ask them exactly what type of repairs the warranty will cover in regards to the top. I've seen some posts here where some minor issues were denied under the warranty plan.
The following users liked this post:
lashk (12-12-2015)
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22 AM
lashk
Registered Member

I'm going to try to get the Elite warranty thru Scottsdale Infiniti. I have to get it inspected on Monday. Sounds like the best deal.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:03 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by lashk
I'm going to try to get the Elite warranty thru Scottsdale Infiniti. I have to get it inspected on Monday. Sounds like the best deal.
It is Courtney has the best deals!
Old 12-12-2015, 12:04 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by _tjp_
As a rule, I never buy extended warranties for cars. But as soon as I saw the complicated roof mechanism I decided on breaking my rule and bought a 5 year warranty when I purchased my 2012 from the dealer.
One thing though, ask them exactly what type of repairs the warranty will cover in regards to the top. I've seen some posts here where some minor issues were denied under the warranty plan.
I am the original owner of my 2009 Vert and purchased an extended warranty (from Scottsdale before my factory warranty expired) ONLY BECAUSE OF THE ROOF. I have under 40K miles and have never had a major service issue .

BE AWARE - the extended warranty will NOT cover squeaks or rattles in the roof. I know this first-hand because earlier this year I had a few squeaks from my top and I was surprised that this wasn't covered under my extended warranty.

I hope this helps you ask the right questions before you buy a warranty that may not provide the coverage you expect.
Good luck!
Old 12-12-2015, 01:24 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Yea, I know about the noises not being covered. I'm more concerned about mechanical. I've heard stories about tops getting stuck and having to be towed in to be fixed. I wonder if the towing and adjustments would be covered if it wasn't a mechanical failure but just the top getting out of sync.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:56 PM
g37scdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The warranty question is an age old question with vary opinions. Cars are not meant to last and something will eventually go wrong. When it goes wrong is really the question. This is mainly based on how much you drive and how "hard" of a driver you are. Those who say don't buy one are usual guys who fix there own cars and have all the right tools to properly repair it. Then you have those who prefer to have someone else fix it and not have to worry.

1. So at the end of the day, the decision really comes down to if you enjoy fixing your own car....no warranty.

2. If you don't want to fix your own car...get the warranty.

3. If you don't want to fix your car and don't have the money for the warranty....you don't need the car (LOL)

Option 3 probably doesn't apply to those on the forum for obvious reasons...LOL

My rule of thumb is, buy a used car I always get a service warranty because you never really know how the car was taken care of. Once the service warranty runs out at least you know the history of your car.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:01 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37scdriver
The warranty question is an age old question with vary opinions. Cars are not meant to last and something will eventually go wrong. When it goes wrong is really the question. This is mainly based on how much you drive and how "hard" of a driver you are. Those who say don't buy one are usual guys who fix there own cars and have all the right tools to properly repair it. Then you have those who prefer to have someone else fix it and not have to worry.

1. So at the end of the day, the decision really comes down to if you enjoy fixing your own car....no warranty.

2. If you don't want to fix your own car...get the warranty.

3. If you don't want to fix your car and don't have the money for the warranty....you don't need the car (LOL)

Option 3 probably doesn't apply to those on the forum for obvious reasons...LOL

My rule of thumb is, buy a used car I always get a service warranty because you never really know how the car was taken care of. Once the service warranty runs out at least you know the history of your car.
I'll do any maintenance work on my car but I don't work on power hard tops and major engine/tranny work.
Old 12-13-2015, 06:53 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by lashk
Yea, I know about the noises not being covered. I'm more concerned about mechanical. I've heard stories about tops getting stuck and having to be towed in to be fixed. I wonder if the towing and adjustments would be covered if it wasn't a mechanical failure but just the top getting out of sync.
Typically yes - if something is broken (bad sensor, failed pump etc) then the extended warranty would cover the repair to the top. Why would the top get "out of sync" if something wasn't broken?
Old 12-13-2015, 07:06 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bschurr
Typically yes - if something is broken (bad sensor, failed pump etc) then the extended warranty would cover the repair to the top. Why would the top get "out of sync" if something wasn't broken?
I guess if you stop it or the car dies in the middle of the cycle. I've read stories about people forgetting to start their car and the battery kills in the middle.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:30 PM
pheonix75

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just throwing in on this one. I say yes for the vert. My 1st vert was in an accident (top down) and to replace the hinges for the top were $14,000! This was the 2nd time my dealer did this for those hinges. They told me the first one was for another person who had it done under warranty(not an accident). The guy supposedly put his top up and down 4-6x a day, they just wore down.
Moral of the story, I would want a full warranty for the top as long as I was the owner of the car.....
Old 12-15-2015, 12:36 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Originally Posted by pheonix75
Just throwing in on this one. I say yes for the vert. My 1st vert was in an accident (top down) and to replace the hinges for the top were $14,000! This was the 2nd time my dealer did this for those hinges. They told me the first one was for another person who had it done under warranty(not an accident). The guy supposedly put his top up and down 4-6x a day, they just wore down.
Moral of the story, I would want a full warranty for the top as long as I was the owner of the car.....
WOW!! That's crazy!!

Quick Reply: Extended warranty- yes or no