Affordable Horsepower increase

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 09:49 AM
opieatdream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Affordable Horsepower increase

Hey Everyone, I just bought a 2010 G37 convertible and am looking to increase the horesepower a little bit. I'm not looking to have 500Hp or anything like that. I'm simply looking to add maybe 50 more horsepower at the wheels. I also don't have the budget to put on a supercharger/ turbo. What modifications would you guys suggest, also any specific brands?
Old 03-26-2014, 10:05 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by opieatdream
Hey Everyone, I just bought a 2010 G37 convertible and am looking to increase the horesepower a little bit. I'm not looking to have 500Hp or anything like that. I'm simply looking to add maybe 50 more horsepower at the wheels. I also don't have the budget to put on a supercharger/ turbo. What modifications would you guys suggest, also any specific brands?
You can't get 50hp with bolt on's. Sorry. Every single bolt on will cost nearly as much as a supercharger kit, and net you half the horsepower.

Sorry.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:12 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Good luck my man. My BWHP:$$$$ ratio is close to $68.00 / 1 BWHP.
I've only netted 30 BWHP or so. Those numbers go up slightly if you use only the BEST bolt ons.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:23 AM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sure you can. Strap on a 50 shot of NOS.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:25 AM
Paratrooper

Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts
Nitrous.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:12 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Hey Opie congrats on the purchase of your new G! Everyone's definitiion of affordable is subjective but this package will help get you to 400hp at the crank or 335-340 wheel horsepower.

The package is $1,348 and includes headers, test pipes and a Z1 modified intake plenum.

VQ37VHR 400HP Package

Bear in mind that this assumes you already have a catback exhaust and Stillen Gen3 intake, and an UPREV tune to maximize the performance gains.

Figure in $1,400 for a solid catback exhaust like Fast Intentions, ≈$500 for Stillen Gen 3 intakes, and the cost of UPREV + a tune. You could probably get everything for under $4k but as others have mentioned, that's as good as it's going to get short of going TT or Supercharged.

TT kits usually start out at ≈$7k and then there's the labor to install, so comparitively, the aforementioned mods could be considered budget but everything is relative.

Old 03-26-2014, 03:20 PM
pebkac

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
UpRev told me in person at their main office in Austin that a modded manifold and CAI will make 0 difference with their tune.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:24 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by pebkac
UpRev told me in person at their main office in Austin that a modded manifold and CAI will make 0 difference with their tune.
To clarify, you are saying that a stock uprev tuned G37 will make identical horsepower to a g37 tuned with CAI and ported manifold?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:20 PM
pebkac

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Dude, feel free to call then when your specific questions.....I don't work for UpRev

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
To clarify, you are saying that a stock uprev tuned G37 will make identical horsepower to a g37 tuned with CAI and ported manifold?
Old 03-26-2014, 04:27 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Dude, feel free to call then when your specific questions.....I don't work for UpRev
Easy, easy, I'm just asking what you mean!

The following users liked this post:
speedracer g37 (03-28-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:41 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

I just got the Uprev tune and the CAI is what makes one of the biggest differences with the vehicle. Plus HFCs and you WILL see gains. I don't care what is said. Proof is in the numbers and the engineering. More AIR + FUEL= MORE HP Reduce back pressure on the engine and you gain MORE HP. Thats internal combustion engines 101.

I think you mean Exhaust manifold BTW. The Uprev associate I spoke with stated that the exhaust manifold is already pretty well engineered for the car and changing it for the sake of the tune wouldn't yield any difference alone.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
Interesting. I haven't looked into much on the manifolds as I had not intended to take my car that far mod wise. I'd be interested to hear what Z1 does to the stock intake plenum.

The 370Z forum might be a good place to check too. They seem to be more adventurous when it comes to swapping intake plenums and exhaust manifolds to long tube headers.

I would think that you'd see some decent gains with all of the parts together. I know when I installed my CAI with the stock ECU, I noticed a fairly significant gain in power across the mid-range. I haven't dyno'd since the CAI but bone stock I put down 270WHP. I'll probably wait until the FI cat back and RHFC's are installed before I dyno again.

Then I'll either go Uprev or ECUtek and probably have the legendary Kenny Tran of Jotech do the tune.

Originally Posted by warped ideas
I think you mean Exhaust manifold BTW. The Uprev associate I spoke with stated that the exhaust manifold is already pretty well engineered for the car and changing it for the sake of the tune wouldn't yield any difference alone.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:11 PM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by warped ideas
I just got the Uprev tune and the CAI is what makes one of the biggest differences with the vehicle. Plus HFCs and you WILL see gains. I don't care what is said. Proof is in the numbers and the engineering. More AIR + FUEL= MORE HP Reduce back pressure on the engine and you gain MORE HP. Thats internal combustion engines 101.

+1 I believe CAI do make a difference, my tuner said so as well
The following users liked this post:
Autocutter (05-07-2016)
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Skyline6mt
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep in mind most of these parts alone won't gain you much. Its the combination of them thats giving you the flow you need to make a real difference.

Like others said your going to spend most of the amount you'd pay for a stillen supercharger kit for less than half of the power increase. That said, besides maybe the intakes and manifold, all the other mods mentioned will save you $$$ later on because you'll already have them done if you go with boost
Old 03-26-2014, 05:52 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by Skyline6mt
Keep in mind most of these parts alone won't gain you much. Its the combination of them thats giving you the flow you need to make a real difference.

Like others said your going to spend most of the amount you'd pay for a stillen supercharger kit for less than half of the power increase. That said, besides maybe the intakes and manifold, all the other mods mentioned will save you $$$ later on because you'll already have them done if you go with boost
+1 The effects aren't linear or cumulative. It's kinda the "big picture" idea that gives the power. With CAI and HFCs your allowing your engine to breath easier. Cooler air combusts a better than hot air. Reducing back pressure on the engine via HFCs or full exhuast allows for a better movement of air. All things things in conjunction equate to better HP. You won't be seeing anything close to 400HP let alone BWHP with the common bolt-ons. You need FI to get into that club. LOL

Quick Reply: Affordable Horsepower increase