Anyone regret the C for the driving experience?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
MLB007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone regret the C for the driving experience?

Relative to the sedan?
I'm considering both. Love the look of the C of course. But losing the trunk with top down AND complaints about the loss of sportiness (400lbs and top in the trunk can't help) have me considering the sedan with a sunroof possibly.
I've had Miata's and want more room. I don't expect a similar experience but I always gravitate to sports models. GTI's, Mazdaspeed Miata, etc

The other factor that I'm seeing is almost every C is also an X and that again seems to really sap the handling and responsiveness of what is usually considered a car on the sporty edge of the near luxury market.

???
Thanks
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM
zdubin

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MLB007
Relative to the sedan?
I'm considering both. Love the look of the C of course. But losing the trunk with top down AND complaints about the loss of sportiness (400lbs and top in the trunk can't help) have me considering the sedan with a sunroof possibly.
I've had Miata's and want more room. I don't expect a similar experience but I always gravitate to sports models. GTI's, Mazdaspeed Miata, etc

The other factor that I'm seeing is almost every C is also an X and that again seems to really sap the handling and responsiveness of what is usually considered a car on the sporty edge of the near luxury market.

???
Thanks
The car is a blast to drive, handles extremely well and is very quick. There is no "X" 4 wheel drive version available at all, just the standard rear wheel drive. The back seat makes a great trunk with the top down, especially with the wind deflector installed. There is only 2 feel of space in the trunk with the top down.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:51 AM
pheonix75

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by zdubin
The car is a blast to drive, handles extremely well and is very quick. There is no "X" 4 wheel drive version available at all, just the standard rear wheel drive. The back seat makes a great trunk with the top down, especially with the wind deflector installed. There is only 2 feel of space in the trunk with the top down.
Im going to agree. I love mine, upgraded swaybars and it rails now. I had a loaner G37 sedan with sunroof last week and it was nowhere near as fun. Backseat doubles as a trunk for me as well. Me and the wife cruised up the PCH from southern Cali to San Fran with our bags on the back seat under the wind screen.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:52 AM
MLB007

My bad, was thinking of the Sedans and not seeing anything but X's. 38 listed on autotrader within 300 miles and 37 of them X's.
If i get the sedan I want rear wheel drive only from what I'm reading.
Any problems with the top? The small "snake bite" dents I'm reading about problems on the early models?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 AM
MLB007

Originally Posted by pheonix75
Im going to agree. I love mine, upgraded swaybars and it rails now. I had a loaner G37 sedan with sunroof last week and it was nowhere near as fun. Backseat doubles as a trunk for me as well. Me and the wife cruised up the PCH from southern Cali to San Fran with our bags on the back seat under the wind screen.
You mean not being able to put the top down isn't as much fun???
Otherwise the sedan is 400lbs lighter and has the structure intact. There's no possible way it's not noticeably better. Every review notes that.
UNLESS you had an X.

Last edited by MLB007; 01-07-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:19 PM
zdubin

My bad, was thinking of the Sedans and not seeing anything but X's. 38 listed on autotrader within 300 miles and 37 of them X's.
If i get the sedan I want rear wheel drive only from what I'm reading.
Any problems with the top? The small "snake bite" dents I'm reading about problems on the early models?
I have a 2010 and never ever had an issue with "snake bite" dents, leaks or anything similar. The worst thing about the top is that is squeaks, more in the cold weather. The dealer replaced the seatbelts, because they wouldn't retract and the door panels, since the seatbelts damaged them when they got stuck. I replaced the stock 19 inch tires with Pilot Sport A/S 3s and the handling has reached new levels and the sport brakes stop the car on a dime. During the spring/summer/fall I couldn't wait to get home from work and drive around with the top down, for no good reason. I would volunteer to do the shopping and shlep the kids around etc.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:08 PM
MLB007

Originally Posted by zdubin
I have a 2010 and never ever had an issue with "snake bite" dents, leaks or anything similar. The worst thing about the top is that is squeaks, more in the cold weather. The dealer replaced the seatbelts, because they wouldn't retract and the door panels, since the seatbelts damaged them when they got stuck. I replaced the stock 19 inch tires with Pilot Sport A/S 3s and the handling has reached new levels and the sport brakes stop the car on a dime. During the spring/summer/fall I couldn't wait to get home from work and drive around with the top down, for no good reason. I would volunteer to do the shopping and shlep the kids around etc.
I love it. It is a gorgeous car. Any complaint about the S package being too stiff?
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM
zdubin

I love it. It is a gorgeous car. Any complaint about the S package being too stiff?
The S package is a bit stiff, but it brings with it quicker steering, larger wheels/tires and extremely powerful brakes. I also prefer the looks of the S over the standard base version for 2010 (front bumper is different). I would have like the more compliant ride of the base with the performance of the S, but I can't have it all. It really depends on how much jiggling around you can tolerate. The pilot sport a/s 3 tires smooth the ride out compared to the stock tires.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:19 PM
MLB007

Cool, thanks.
Just noticed where you are. Flew into Jersey to pick up my last convertible (04 Mazdaspeed Miata -also gorgeous, w/7k miles) and drove it home in a big *** storm 3 years ago. Got stuck in the mountains in PA for 2 days. (in a small town off the highway, couldn't get back up the steep highway access road).
Name:  071.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  436.1 KB
Old 01-07-2014, 05:59 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
NO RAGRETS - ya know what I'm sayin"

One of my few complaints about the Vert is the open rear end.

I was one of the first Vert owners when the car debuted in the summer of 2009 and received a ton of compliments then. 4 1/2 years later, I am still always being asked about the car and receive positive comments almost every time I take her out.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the G Vert is the limited availability and general lack of knowledge of its existence.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:35 PM
MLB007

[QUOTE=bschurr;3721263]NO RAGRETS - ya know what I'm sayin"

/QUOTE]

No, I have absolutely no idea what you are sayin'.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:02 PM
SigX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't have much experience with the sedan other than a test drive. My 12 vert is stock and I love it. probably would have bought a different car if I did not get the vert.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:41 PM
id888

Relative to the sedan?

???
Thanks
I just picked up a CPO S Vert 6MT with 7k miles in mint condition at our local Infiniti dealer. I know that 6MT and convertible are not common combinations, but you should be able to find a non-X convertible somewhere. My dealer stated that a lot of convertibles come off lease in the late spring (presumably because people leased them in late spring to have a convertible for the summer).
Old 01-08-2014, 04:20 PM
bschurr
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by id888
I just picked up a CPO S Vert 6MT with 7k miles in mint condition at our local Infiniti dealer. I know that 6MT and convertible are not common combinations, but you should be able to find a non-X convertible somewhere. My dealer stated that a lot of convertibles come off lease in the late spring (presumably because people leased them in late spring to have a convertible for the summer).

Congrats - now start a new thread with some pics!
Old 01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
UN1263

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Relative to the sedan?

???
Thanks
Over the last few years the Mrs and I have had a 06 coupe, 11 G37 Sedan Sport and currently have a 13 M37 and a 13 vert.

The wife's convertible is an absolute blast to drive and handles great in the mountains, but IMO its an ideal 'locally' driven car because any trip over a couple of hours starts to wear on your ***. We/I recently drove from ATL to Orlando and back on a three day weekend with the top down half way each way, and I was really missing the M after a few hours. And of course with the top down, we had our suitcase on the backseat.

I put 25K/yr on my G37 sedan and while its night and day different in size, it was almost as fun to drive. Of course I got sick of the G being too small for my needs so I stepped up to the M.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret the C for the driving experience?