Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

My Q60...? Infiniti announces no more G

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 01:47 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
6 months are not enough time to do anything major or minor... the specs of the car were already locked in place. He has been handed the successor to the G - like it or not.

And, yes, he had US market requirements input to Audi - but not responsibility for design.

Last edited by jwfisher; 12-18-2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

Originally Posted by chilibowl

-Built on Mercedes C-Class chassis
-Engine designed and built by Nissan
-Inspired by a new CEO who previously worked for Audi, a European company who builds very luxurious and exhilarating cars.

I can only predict that the new Q50 will not only be quieter, bigger but yet wider, lighter, faster, and lower to the ground, with the most luxury Infiniti has ever put in any of their vehicles, including an interior much more superior to the current M's.
We don't know yet what Mercedes parts, if any, are a part of the new G, er, Q50/60. Or vice-versa. The spy pics of the final prototypes show a car almost identical in size, maybe 3-4" wider, with the exact same tire size and height, exact same sport rotors and Akebono calipers. It's not any lower, the width gain is negligible. And given that the calipers are in the exact same position as the existing G, I really have to wonder who designed what - or if at all. This may just be the next step in the evolution of the FM platform.

The current C-class chassis is no great shakes: it's smaller, narrower, and heavy. Dynamics are poor. Presumably we won't get stuck with that, and if there is any sharing the Germans will come out of it much better off than they are now. Frankly I have to wonder what the exact deal is here since Nissan has excellent cash flow and resources on it's own to further develop the excellent FM chassis as well as the rumored joint FWD car.

We won't know until next month, and maybe not even then, but I do have to wonder how much if anything came from Mercedes.

In any case, we know the chassis won't take a backwards step (statements from Execs have clearly said that chassis dynamics is a priority), so the next item of interest is the drivetrains: some sort of 4 (think "EcoBoost"), a diesel, and a VQ variant. I think it's obvious there will be multiple choices in the Q60/70. And since the platform will undoubtedly be used for the next M and FX, will it be capable of accommodating a V8 again, and which one? 5 or 5.6 liter? I don't think we'll see a new M or FX until a year from now. And in the meantime, we will have a new Q coupe to look forward to as well.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:43 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6mtg37s
They aren't really coping BMW, Audi or MB, they are copying Volvo .. S40 S60 S80. But it's best to wait and see how it turns out, they will still continue to produce great cars (hopefully).
The S in Volvo stood for sedan (with V for wagons). The A in Audi is pretty obvious. What does Q mean again?
Old 12-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jwfisher
6 months are not enough time to do anything major or minor
Except strengthen the sponsorhip ties between Red Bull Racing (3 time defending Driver and Constructor Formula 1 World Champions) and Infiniti from an associate sponsor agreement to primary name sponsor of the team. If you don't follow motorsport at all you may not even know this. However this is a very major deal.

In 6 months on the job he's initiated a brand makeover as well. How well it goes over when the time actually comes remains to be seen, but he's already done quite a lot in a short time on the job IMO.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
The S in Volvo stood for sedan (with V for wagons). The A in Audi is pretty obvious. What does Q mean again?
From the press announcement quoted in the first post in the thread.
After exhaustive research and evaluation, we concluded that 'Q' captured the inspiration within the next generation of Infiniti models, as well as emphasizing our performance credentials while harking back to our heritage with the Q45 – Infiniti's first iconic flagship product in 1989.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:57 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I can see a right wing and a left wing forming already haha
Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM
mcgrible

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any thoughts on engine displacements ? whats going to happen with the 3.7L?

I was flipping through some prototype videos earlier and heard the sound the car makes, it does still sound like a V6.

But honestly speaking, the next gen car will without a doubt pack more weight and size so I was hoping we would get a few more engine choices.

Most likely we'll get an efficient 2 liter turbo'ed i4 for the base range and some sort of forced induction 3 liter 6 stroke for the high end. And as for the next IPL, just throw in the R35 gtr engine in
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
jwfisher
Registered Member

I was under the impression from various interviews and leaks that it was a 2.4 liter supercharged engine being developed and that it would be used in various Nissan corporate products. And, if you saw the video of Jay Leno visiting the design bureau for the new Z, perhaps in that as well. FM platform or not also TBD.

And, BTW, the head of the GT-R engineering said that there was no way that engine was going into anything else. And, frankly, IMHO, it wouldn't work anywhere near as well with only 2-wheel drive. I have 80% of that power in my supercharged RWD G and traction is a major bummer. It's not that the GT-R really makes all that much power, and it certainly weighs a helluva lot - it's the ability of the GT-R to put it down onto the ground. Duplicate that in a Q, and it would cost 95k and weigh 4200 pounds.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:36 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I can see a right wing and a left wing forming already haha
Well, thanks to Black Betty's not-so-subtle sarcasm, I have already flip-flopped!

I see the error of my ways, sir... what's in a name? I'm still not thrilled about it, but BB makes a valid point. If it improves upon an already successful vehicle, I will buy it no matter what they call it.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by MACS
Well, thanks to Black Betty's not-so-subtle sarcasm, I have already flip-flopped!

I see the error of my ways, sir... what's in a name? I'm still not thrilled about it, but BB makes a valid point. If it improves upon an already successful vehicle, I will buy it no matter what they call it.
What is this sarcasm of which you speak? I was dead serious. If not for the horrible names, I would own an R8, a 458, and a 911. But WTF is up with those names? What do they mean? An R8 has a V10 engine. Naming fail! I was going to get a 458 until I realized that was a random stupid number and not the engine displacement in cubic inches. Idiotic. And the 911? Since they didn't rename it after the events in NYC on that September morning 11 years ago, they must be supporting the terrorists!

Infiniti is screwing up big time because I could easily come out of a store to find that 2 other Infinitis have parked on either side of me and the names are so similar, how will I know which one is mine?!?!?! I mean sure one is a convertible and one is a huge SUV and mine is a coupe, but come on! I will decide on the next car I buy strictly based on how cool the name is. Regardless of how awesome the car itself might be. THAT makes sense.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:59 PM
MACS

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
You can stop now. You've already hammered home your point.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:20 PM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I'm concerned its appropriate the G should be the Q being that the G series has been Infiniti's "flagship" for the past 10-11 years.

No one is going pass up on this car because it is no longer a "G". That's just silly. People will pass on it if it does not live up to the competition and the BMW 4 concept looks kind of sweet so the next Q coupe better bring its A game.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Many of us (including myself) tend to rush to our keyboards and post reactionary (and often ridiculous in the sober light of reflection) posts before taking time to digest information and reason on it. I blame our instant information society.

Whether the names suck or not, it isn't going to stop an intelligent person from buying a good vehicle if it suits their needs or wants. If they were to put different sheet metal on a GTR and call it a Q90 with an Infiniti badge, who would say it sucks? Besides the normal blowhard idiots who say such things and are generally ignored by intelligent people?

Corvair is a cool car name. So is Beretta. I could go on an on with cool names of crappy cars. And vice versa. "250 GTO" doesn't particularly excite, but the car seems to go for a lot of money whenever one comes up for sale. Gumpert is a funny sounding car name but I'd take one.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:54 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Sython
I wonder what will happen with the "IPL" name? Either way, I hope the next one is way, way more hardcore than the current one lol.

I wish they would just drop the IPL name/line altogether.......................
Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 PM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mcgrible

Most likely we'll get an efficient 2 liter turbo'ed i4 for the base range and some sort of forced induction 3 liter 6 stroke for the high end.
In light of the silliness on this thread, I just had to call this out for a friendly laugh

What would those other two strokes do?

Quick Reply: My Q60...? Infiniti announces no more G