Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

Report: Next Infiniti M and G to share platform with Mercedes-Benz E-Class?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:23 PM
GT-R

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Report: Next Infiniti M and G to share platform with Mercedes-Benz E-Class?

Autoblog Report: Next Infiniti M and G to share platform with Mercedes-Benz E-Class?

Report: Next Infiniti M and G to share platform with Mercedes-Benz E Class? — Autoblog

Renault-Nissan and Daimler recently announced a strategic alliance that promised technology and facility sharing that could result in the saving of over $1 billion per year. We'll have to wait a while before we can see any parts or factory sharing, but that isn't stopping the rumormill from running rampant.

The latest tease comes courtesy of Japanese enthusiast rag Best Car, which claims that the Infiniti M and G will share a common platform architecture with the Mercedes E-Class. The move would make sense from a money-saving perspective, as Infiniti could save hundreds of millions of dollars in development costs. Daimler could reap huge sums of savings through increased economies of scale, while likely receiving funding from Renault-Nissan to help pay for the costs of developing the architecture. The two companies are reportedly also looking into sharing engines, factory space in the U.S. and possibly even commercial vans.

But while it makes sense for Daimler to share the E-Class platform with Infiniti from a cash standpoint, we're taking this bit of news with a healthy dose of skepticism. Infiniti already has an excellent rear-wheel drive platform and there's a good chance that it's cheaper to build. But then again, if Daimler and Renault-Nissan are truly serious about saving over $1 billion per year, these are exactly the kinds of parts-sharing agreements that will help them reach their cost-saving goals.

Here is a crazy thought, what if Mercedes shared the S-Class platform with Infiniti?
Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 PM
freesurfer
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-R
Here is a crazy thought, what if Mercedes shared the S-Class platform with Infiniti?
Then it would be called a G-Class platform?!? I don't see it workin out logistically or financially.
I guess I don't like sharing my G with any other car manufacturer, let along the always being repaired Mercedes.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:23 AM
GT-R

What I meant was, Infiniti could share the S-Class platform to bring back the Q.

I would rather Infiniti keep their own FM platform for the G and M, but the Q could share the long wheelbase S-Class platform possibly.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how this could save money for Infiniti. All their vehicles except for the QX56 are based on the FM platform. Adding another platform from another manufacturer seems to add an extra layer of complexity.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM
gt_performah

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I don't see how this could save money for Infiniti. All their vehicles except for the QX56 are based on the FM platform. Adding another platform from another manufacturer seems to add an extra layer of complexity.
Not to mention Infiniti spoke of the FM platform like it was the greatest thing since the ham and cheese sandwich. Suprised to read this.
Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gt_performah
Not to mention Infiniti spoke of the FM platform like it was the greatest thing since the ham and cheese sandwich. Suprised to read this.
I just re-read the article and their source is a Japanese car mag. So, yeah, you can pretty much dismiss that.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
indycase

Last time I checked, the C-Class is <<< the G in virtually every aspect except for the prestige. (except for the C63) Maybe they can just share the gizmos, but then again the Japanese are known for gadgets and intuitiveness so who knows. Nissan can really use Mercedes' mid-heavy commercial products though.

How about a G63xS?
Old 06-01-2010, 06:17 PM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
great we can take a SRT8 Chrysler 300 tranny and even use that too in our future cars?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:05 PM
jsingh

Next-generation Nissan Z-cars to use Mercedes-Benz engines
Old 06-04-2010, 04:55 PM
FX-series

It is a bad news because infiniti cars will be a false mercedes ,

I like to drive an infiniti.

Why they force me to drive mercedes .. if the did that , I'd drive the original one..

Nissan and Infiniti have ability to build many cars without helping of others
Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 PM
g37musings

If it goes to any type of Mercedes engineering or platform, this will be my last Infiniti.

Just what we need, a sporty, utterly unreliable overengineered car. No thanks!