Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

A Quick Versa Testdrive

Old 07-09-2006, 08:41 PM
nelam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Quick Versa Testdrive

We just came back from testdrives - yeah, "testdrives". We drove the 1.8S w/6sp, & 1.8SL w/CVT.

They are both are well built. No rattles, very minimal road, and wind noise (seems quieter than our '06 G35). Engine emits very high quality sound, and engine noise is pleasant and only noticable above 5,000rpm. Engine is really smooth throughout the RPM. And there is no vibration at idle that transmitted to the cabin.

The 6sp is very easy to use, with close gear ratio between each gear. But we prefer the CVT even though we love driving "sticks". The CVT is really efficient in keeping the engine in its optimal power band. And it lowers the rpm when cruising. The response from the CVT is better than the 6sp., and the CVT is very capable of squeezing the power from this 1.8L engine.

For some reason, the handling limit on the 1.8S seems lower than the 1.8SL. Feels as though, the SL has slightly stiffer anti-roll bar, and struts. The body roll is not as noticable in the SL than S.

Interior is extremely roomy for are car in this size. It has alot more leg room in the rear seat than the current Sentra. The equipped audio sounds GREAT.

Anyhow, Versa is a very nicely put together car. It feels to be the best out there for someone who is looking for a daily commuter with versatility, and great gas mileage. A quick inspection under the hood, reveil that the car is really easy to work on as well.

There is a Impul supercharge for the HR15DE engine, where it is equipped in the Versa equivalent Tiida. It will be awesome if the supercharge can be used in this MR18DE.

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 07-14-2006, 10:56 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good review, thanks for sharing. It definitely appears that it has an advantage over the Fit and Yaris as it has more power and larger interior. I think the Versa would make a great little daily commuter.

Here is another good review on the Versa.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/07versa.htm
Old 07-14-2006, 02:27 PM
RBull

^ should bring a lot more consumers into Nissan showrooms
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

I actually took the Versa for a drive yesterday while I was getting the oil changed in my G. Nelson, your comments are spot on. The Versa is one sweet little car. One thing that I really noticed was how much interior room this car has. The back seat was huge and there was tons of headroom!

If I were in the market for a car in this class, the Versa would definitely be my first choice.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:36 AM
nelam

[QUOTE=canuck]... Nelson, your comments are spot on. The Versa is one sweet little car.....QUOTE]

I am trying to be as genuine as possible on the review - even though, I am a major Nissan fan.

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 07-18-2006, 11:38 AM
nelam

BTW, I drove the Versa and SE-R Spec V back-to-back when I testdrove the Versa. The Spec V def. has more power, a higher cornering limit and way more fun to toss around, plus you are sitting lower. However, the Spec V feels to be dated when compare to the refinement the Versa offers. It is kinda like Spec V is more for hardcore performance enthuaists on a budget, and the Versa is more gear toward a day-to-day user for comfort commuting on a budget.

Anyhow, Spec V, and Versa is two different beast. But it happens that the Spec V to be in the same price range as the fully loaded 1.8SL Versa.

Thanks,
Nelson
Old 07-18-2006, 03:53 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by nelam

I am trying to be as genuine as possible on the review - even though, I am a major Nissan fan.

Thanks,
Nelson
I was over in Europe back in April and the Versa really reminds me of some of the European styling. Nissan also had a Micra which was popular over there....it was also a cool looking little car. Because of the European flavor I see in the Versa, it really stood out IMO when compared to other cars in it's class.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:45 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by canuck
I was over in Europe back in April and the Versa really reminds me of some of the European styling. Nissan also had a Micra which was popular over there....it was also a cool looking little car. Because of the European flavor I see in the Versa, it really stood out IMO when compared to other cars in it's class.

Might make a nice little ride for the extra family on the way.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:13 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Originally Posted by RBull
Might make a nice little ride for the extra family on the way.
Funny you mention that Deane, because it was my wife that urged me to take the Versa out for the drive.....even though she wasn't with me. She thinks it might be a good idea to get rid of the QX4 and get a Versa.