Future Models Questions, requests, info on Future Infiniti/Nissan Models

New 350z?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 08:07 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Terrible front end. I am glad that is a PHOTOSHOP and not a real Z!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:16 PM
gspotter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, that's just what the magazine is guessing the new Z would look like. It will be much better than that in reality (hopefully LOL).
Old 01-16-2007, 11:13 AM
m@rky

2008 Z gets new VQ35HR motor and new hood!!!

yay Z

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/01/12/e...ew-fairlady-z/
Old 07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
RBull

Here is a link to video and brief on the anticipated changes possibly for '09. Slightly smaller, lighter, more power to bring the Z closer to the Cayman, Z4M is the speculation.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121314
Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 PM
endleesss

It looks very similar to the current model.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:07 PM
neal540

in the last motor trend, it says the Z car wont be updated until 2011 and that in 2009 it will receive the g37s 3.7L motor
Old 08-08-2007, 09:22 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by neal540
in the last motor trend, it says the Z car wont be updated until 2011 and that in 2009 it will receive the g37s 3.7L motor

Yes, I read that. I don't believe it though. The Z is already overdue for a major face lift. 2010 is also the 40th anniversary and it wouldn't make sense for Nissan to mark that year with an 8 year old design.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:25 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by endleesss
It looks very similar to the current model.
True. You can't tell anything from the body yet. They just stick any kind of body overtop of a revised platform, drivetrain etc. It's the same thing that happened with the GTR. Early mule prototypes wore the G35 (Skyline) body.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:31 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by RBull
Here is a link to video and brief on the anticipated changes possibly for '09. Slightly smaller, lighter, more power to bring the Z closer to the Cayman, Z4M is the speculation.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=121314
Those are all speculation just as all the other ones floating around the internet.

Not trying to be pesimistic, but I just don't see the Next-Z being close to the (Next or Current) Z4M in performance nor class.

I'm reserving most of my thoughts until I hear official words. But I expect the next Z to be of similar weight of the current Z with the VQ37VHR as its new engine; simple but significant body changes... and that's all.

That was just my slight speculation.

It's real direct competitors (Mustang GT, RX8, S2000) are what will determine how much the Z will sway from its original design & performance.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 08-08-2007 at 11:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:16 PM
RBull

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Those are all speculation just as all the other ones floating around the internet.

Not trying to be pesimistic, but I just don't see the Next-Z being close to the (Next or Current) Z4M in performance nor class.

I'm reserving most of my thoughts until I hear official words. But I expect the next Z to be of similar weight of the current Z with the VQ37VHR as its new engine; simple but significant body changes... and that's all.

That was just my slight speculation.

It's real direct competitors (Mustang GT, RX8, S2000) are what will determine how much the Z will sway from its original design & performance.

It is obvious this is speculation since there really isn't anything remotely substantial from the manufacturer or media sightings. My most current posts reflect that.

By saying you don't believe the Z is or will be close to the Z4M you are not reserving your thoughts until official announcements. As well you've also told us your take on what the new Z will weigh and the drive train expected. Is that not most of your thoughts?

I don't agree on some of what you say. The current Z (07) isn't that far off now in performance. Class, who knows - I suppose if you consider price = class. With a serious commitment to weight reduction the Z could and would be a contender. (compared to current generation BMW) That is the biggest element holding it back now. If and when the Z4M updates to the next generation there may another gap created. There is a large price gap now to consider however and will likely be one in the future too, although a lighter Z would raise the prices too.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:33 PM
skaterbasist

It is obvious this is speculation since there really isn't anything remotely substantial from the manufacturer or media sightings. My most current posts reflect that.

By saying you don't believe the Z is or will be close to the Z4M you are not reserving your thoughts until official announcements. As well you've also told us your take on what the new Z will weigh and the drive train expected. Is that not most of your thoughts?

I don't agree on some of what you say. The current Z (07) isn't that far off now in performance. Class, who knows - I suppose if you consider price = class. With a serious commitment to weight reduction the Z could and would be a contender. (compared to current generation BMW) That is the biggest element holding it back now. If and when the Z4M updates to the next generation there may another gap created. There is a large price gap now to consider however and will likely be one in the future too, although a lighter Z would raise the prices too.
True, im also speculating. I will try to minimize that because I have no proof to back up any of my speculations.

Regarding the 350Z & the Cayman, Z4M. The only reason I stated what I did in the prior post was because of this statement:
From this statement, I can imply that you're seeing the 350Z as a competitor to the Cayman & Z4M. As much as I wouldn't mind this to be true, the Z just doesn't possess some of the qualities that the Z4M & Cayman have. In my opinion, Nissan & some magazines are trying to push this as if it really were a competitor... when I think its far from it.

Performance isn't the only thing that makes a car a competitor to another; the Cayman & Z4M are, or will be with the next-gen BMW's & Porsches, almost twice as expensive as a base 350Z (or, most likely 370Z) is. Not only that, but as far as class (class being name & luxury), the Z is obviously not in for that.

IMO, seeing the upcoming 350Z ("370Z") as a competitor to the Cayman or Z4M would be like seeing the upcoming EVO X as a competitor to the upcoming M3 Sedan.

I'd love to continue this good discussion, but I will hold most of my thoughts until the official word regarding the next Z.

I'm sure we can agree on one thing though; the next Z is going to be one exciting & affordable sports car

Old 08-12-2007, 09:09 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
True, im also speculating. I will try to minimize that because I have no proof to back up any of my speculations.

Regarding the 350Z & the Cayman, Z4M. The only reason I stated what I did in the prior post was because of this statement:

From this statement, I can imply that you're seeing the 350Z as a competitor to the Cayman & Z4M. As much as I wouldn't mind this to be true, the Z just doesn't possess some of the qualities that the Z4M & Cayman have. In my opinion, Nissan & some magazines are trying to push this as if it really were a competitor... when I think its far from it.

Performance isn't the only thing that makes a car a competitor to another; the Cayman & Z4M are, or will be with the next-gen BMW's & Porsches, almost twice as expensive as a base 350Z (or, most likely 370Z) is. Not only that, but as far as class (class being name & luxury), the Z is obviously not in for that.

IMO, seeing the upcoming 350Z ("370Z") as a competitor to the Cayman or Z4M would be like seeing the upcoming EVO X as a competitor to the upcoming M3 Sedan.

I'd love to continue this good discussion, but I will hold most of my thoughts until the official word regarding the next Z.

I'm sure we can agree on one thing though; the next Z is going to be one exciting & affordable sports car

Skater, something can't be a "statement" unless it is stated. That is not my "statement", it's your assumptions. You also can't "imply" something from someone else's text; you can infer something from it.

Why argue so much about the class of car and whether something is a direct competitor or not? Both Nissan and auto journalists seem to think the Cayman and Z4M are the target they're aiming for with the next generation of Z. So it's not me saying that. I'm interested to hear Nissan implies that is the target! Direct competitors - not likely. Nissan will always be lower priced. If we can get a car that's close to the overall performance at a lower price and is more reliable and less expensive to maintain (like it is now) that's good enough for me. Moving the Z a step or two closer than it is now is perfect, if Nissan will do it. A bargain priced, high quality true sports car = lots of interest from me and lots of sales.

In actual truth the cars mentioned are all much closer in performance, luxury than what you're giving credit for. I don't know what the other "qualities" are you're referring to. Also, the price differentials in comparably equipped cars isn't "almost twice" as you suggest. 50-70% is more realistic. You can't have been shopping for a while. When it comes to cars a small gain in performance/handling can often mean a lot more dollars particularly when it comes from Germany or Italy.

Have you driven a Cayman or a Z4M? A main difference currently is the clientèle they target because of the nameplate and price differential with the Bimmer and Porsche reaching more affluent folks looking for exclusivity. The Z will never have that cachet and I really don't care, if I'm driving something nearly as good with lower costs of ownership. To get there the Z will have to make some strides but it certainly can be done and it will be interesting watching to see. I believe Nissan is making a big mistake if the revised Z isn't out until 2011 as rumoured. It's already overdue.

Last edited by RBull; 08-12-2007 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:25 AM
350Zed

Why argue so much about the class of car and whether something is a direct competitor or not? Both Nissan and auto journalists seem to think the Cayman and Z4M are the target they're aiming for with the next generation of Z. So it's not me saying that and I don't care. I'm interested to hear Nissan implies that is the target! Direct competitors - no. Nissan will always be lower priced.
I can end this right here and now. I did buy a 350Z, and I did consider the Porsche Boxter (aka Cayman), BMW Z3 (aka Z4), Audi TT, and Honda S2000 as direct competitors in my final evaluation.

It's just like when I bought my G35 Sedan, I considered the Acura TSX (much cheaper), Acura TL (price on par), Lexus IS350 (more expensive), BMW 330i (more expensive), and even the Nissan Altima (much cheaper) in my final evaluation.

Direct competition does not necessarily imply similar price. Rather, it indicates similar product targetted at the same market.

I can assure you, Nissan is targetting the Z at the Boxster/Cayman and Z4, just like it is targetting the GT-R at the 911 and M3.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:45 AM
RBull

Originally Posted by 350Zed
I can end this right here and now. I did buy a 350Z, and I did consider the Porsche Boxter (aka Cayman), BMW Z3 (aka Z4), Audi TT, and Honda S2000 as direct competitors in my final evaluation.

It's just like when I bought my G35 Sedan, I considered the Acura TSX (much cheaper), Acura TL (price on par), Lexus IS350 (more expensive), BMW 330i (more expensive), and even the Nissan Altima (much cheaper) in my final evaluation.

Direct competition does not necessarily imply similar price. Rather, it indicates similar product targetted at the same market.

I can assure you, Nissan is targetting the Z at the Boxster/Cayman and Z4, just like it is targetting the GT-R at the 911 and M3.
Good points I agree with.

Like I said in other posts to me the performance/handling deficit the current Z has now against those cars comes from a weight disadvantage. If some progress can be made there it will translate into large improvements in handling and performance. We'll see.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:12 AM
350Zed

Good points I agree with.

Like I said in other posts to me the performance/handling deficit the current Z has now against those cars comes from a weight disadvantage. If some progress can be made there it will translate into large improvements in handling and performance. We'll see.
I don't think Nissan will sacrifice the Z's weight disadvantage by using advanced engineering and materials to diminish their huge price advantage.

They went down that road with the 300ZX and it died as a result.

Nissan is smarter to stick to the high-volume, lower-cost play with the Z. The real showpiece/halo car will be the GT-R.

Quick Reply: New 350z?