Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

AdminTuning Comprehensive review

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
AdminTuning Comprehensive review

This is gonna be a long review so get your reading glasses ready. People that are looking into tuning their car will appreciate this because I think it will answer a lot of the questions you might have. Tuning is the most essential part of modding your car, get it right the first time so you don't have to go through what I went through. Feel free to comment any questions you might have. I'd be happy to help.

Backstory:

My G has been Stillen supercharged for a little while now but I’ve had the absolute worse experience with tuning. Originally tuned my car here in MN and lost my transmission on the dyno. Had level 10 email the tuning shop to unlock the tune so they can adjust the torque tables for the new built transmission. Not long after, I lost the engine too 😞. I had someone look at the tune to find out that the previous shop has WOT set at 12.8 which is extremely dangerous and ended up destroying my motor.

Fast forward a year:

I finally got over the butthurt of losing my engine right after I had just built the transmission and I was ready to fix it again. I did my research and decided that building my motor wasn’t necessary for my power goals. I found a pretty healthy engine with about 36k miles on it locally. Bought the motor and had a shop do the install. Started right up after the install with no complications which was nice for a change. Next was retuning so I don’t lose this engine too.

Why AdminTuning?

I decided that I was not going to tune the car here in MN again for obvious reasons so I looked into remote tuning. There’s thankfully a lot of options for the VQ platform. I stayed with Uprev for the time being. Yes I know there’s a lot of debate about EcuTek vs Uprev but I won’t get into that in this review. After a lot of research, I ultimately decided to go with AdminTuning for a few reasons.
1. He was very well known in the VQ community was always recommended when I saw people asking about tuner recommendations.

2. His tunes are known for reliability and results from all the comments I read about people that have tuned with him.

3. Communication, he replied to all my messages and questions within a reasonable time. My biggest problem with tuning in the past is that they’re not willing to talk to you about the car. I understand it can be annoying answering the same questions over and over again but you have to make your customer feel informed and involved if you want them to return for more business.

4. He’s around the same age of most owners in the VQ scene. I know there’s people older and younger that own VQs but a lot of them are in their 20s. It just made it easier to talk to him and get along since we were the same age so we had things in common.

5. Post-tuning logs. After the tune was complete, he asks for logs occasionally to make sure the car is still running properly. I’m pretty sure no other tuning shops offers anything like that. I didn’t even ask him to do that so if this doesn’t tell you that he cares about your car, I’m not sure what would.

The review:

I hit Moncef up and he replied right away and was excited to tune the car. I really didn’t compare his prices to other shops but I felt like they were pretty standard and fair compared to what I got charged the first time to tune my car. His revisions came within a reasonable time. I work full time and he’s got other cars to tune so we would find a few hours in the day that would work for both of us and would just log and revise in that time period. I know a lot of people have problems waiting for revisions because the shop would just get to them whenever they just have time which can be frustrating because the person getting tuned can end up waiting a few days for a revision.
Tuning this car was definitely not a smooth process at all because there was a few issues with my setup. Originally the car was surging at idle. Moncef was able to pinpoint the problem right away and took care of it. Then mid-tune, I decided to switch to the A2A kit which was basically restarting the whole tune since the MAFs are being relocated. I know this would annoy me if I was the tuner because that’s basically forcing me to start all over mid-tune but Moncef was cool with it and agreed with me that it’s a good idea for the safety of the car. A2A conversion was completed and we finished tuning the car and I’m very happy with it. AFRs look perfect and the car is a different animal from what it was before. I felt like I was missing power up top but he took care of that and now I had power everywhere in the power band.

It’s been a few weeks now and the car hasn’t had any issues at all which is something new to me. On the old tune, I had an issue almost every time I took the car out so taking it from point A-B without having a problem with a nice change. I highly recommend Moncef at AdminTuning for all the reasons I’ve listed and my experience with him. Def hit him up if you're looking to tune your car.
Attached Thumbnails AdminTuning Comprehensive review-a2a-conversion-.jpg   AdminTuning Comprehensive review-roller.jpg   AdminTuning Comprehensive review-don-t-ask-why-i-m-at-a-volvo-meet.jpg  
The following 5 users liked this post by msonbolg37x:
Bommerang (01-17-2019), G_Un1t (04-28-2019), Isaacm19 (12-11-2019), jeffx (07-10-2020), takemorepills (01-17-2019)
Old 07-01-2018, 01:56 PM
Invaderzim
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the review. Moncef is a go to guy for Uprev I think. Good news that he got it sorted out for you. I follow his page and he has done a few of A2A now with Uprev. It looks like if a tuner actually knows what they are doing then the software works for them.
Did you do the A2A install yourself?
Old 07-01-2018, 05:42 PM
msonbolg37x
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Invaderzim
Thanks for the review. Moncef is a go to guy for Uprev I think. Good news that he got it sorted out for you. I follow his page and he has done a few of A2A now with Uprev. It looks like if a tuner actually knows what they are doing then the software works for them.
Did you do the A2A install yourself?
yeah he def knows what he’s doing. The gap between ecutek and uprev becomes significantly smaller once you address the issues with the stillen kit so it really comes down to the tuner at that point. Yeah I did the install myself with a friend of mine. Topgunz actually lives in my state which made things a little cheaper.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM
92fs
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
msonbolg37x What front bumper are you using in the pic?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:50 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Let's keep this thread focused on the Admin Tuning review, please. PM the user for the bumper info.