Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - review 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - review 6MT

Installed this catback a couple of weeks ago in my G37s Coupe 6MT. Just wanted to tell you guys how I like it if some of you are interested in obtaining one.

Part # 16820

Installation - straight forward.

Product quality - For me it was great, although the piping is not completely polished the welds and looks of it are great. The X-pipe was a big plus for me. Im sure catbacks from other companies like tanabe, hks, gthaus and ark (etc) are of better quality but I couldnt justify the price and since im in Puerto Rico shippings cost are CRAZY, ordered my MF catback through pepboys and did not have to pay shipping.

Fitment - It was decent/good, had to mess with it to get the tips lined up, since the piping is 2.5'' the drivers side pipe was hitting a little the differential case when coming out of a stop and producing some sounds. Fixed that by massaging the pipe a bit. Theres practically no vibration added to the cabin, just a little when decelerating at about 1,500rpm but it even feels cool.

Sound and Performance - I love the sound, it does have that infamous drone between 1k-2k, personally I have not driven or heard another exhaust on a G here in PR and I know videos dont make any justice to any exhaust. The but dyno feels a good improvement in the top end, believe me I drive my car hard and definitely felt an improvement.

In the end I really like it, like any other exhaust the added sound take a little aways from the luxurious feel of the car but it makes it a heck of a lot more sportier!

Any questions feel free to ask!

Exhaust Video

Attached Thumbnails Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - review 6MT-photo-3-2.jpg   Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - review 6MT-photo-2-2.jpg   Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - review 6MT-photo-1-3.jpg  

Last edited by GW330; 12-31-2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Added video link
The following users liked this post:
sprix (01-11-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
No sound clips? Fitment looks pretty good
Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
mwilson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GW330
Installed this catback a couple of weeks ago in my G37s Coupe 6MT. Just wanted to tell you guys how I like it if some of you are interested in obtaining one.

Part # 16820

Installation - straight forward.

Product quality - For me it was great, although the piping is not completely polished the welds and looks of it are great. The X-pipe was a big plus for me. Im sure catbacks from other companies like tanabe, hks, gthaus and ark (etc) are of better quality but I couldnt justify the price and since im in Puerto Rico shippings cost are CRAZY, ordered my MF catback through pepboys and did not have to pay shipping.

Fitment - It was decent/good, had to mess with it to get the tips lined up, since the piping is 2.5'' the drivers side pipe was hitting a little the differential case when coming out of a stop and producing some sounds. Fixed that by massaging the pipe a bit. Theres practically no vibration added to the cabin, just a little when decelerating at about 1,500rpm but it even feels cool.

Sound and Performance - I love the sound, it does have that infamous drone between 1k-2k, personally I have not driven or heard another exhaust on a G here in PR and I know videos dont make any justice to any exhaust. The but dyno feels a good improvement in the top end, believe me I drive my car hard and definitely felt an improvement.

In the end I really like it, like any other exhaust the added sound take a little aways from the luxurious feel of the car but it makes it a heck of a lot more sportier!

Any questions feel free to ask!
Just want to chime in on this! I am running the same set up! Sounds clean but i wish it was a little louder! Unfortunately shop wouldn't install cats until tune because of CEL light coming on! First off that looks great! All welds and etc look great to me! I just want to ask a couple questions! Did you put test pipes or cats on with out tune? And did you get engine lights?
Old 01-09-2014, 01:41 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
No sound clips? Fitment looks pretty good
like I said videos dont do justice but im goin to try and make one and post it!
Old 01-09-2014, 01:44 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mwilson
Just want to chime in on this! I am running the same set up! Sounds clean but i wish it was a little louder! Unfortunately shop wouldn't install cats until tune because of CEL light coming on! First off that looks great! All welds and etc look great to me! I just want to ask a couple questions! Did you put test pipes or cats on with out tune? And did you get engine lights?
I sometimes wish it was louder up top but the drone down low makes it sound real loud sometimes, stock cats right now but I plan to add FIRHFC at some point.

Last edited by GW330; 12-31-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:52 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Why would you tune and THEN put cats on? That doesn't make any sense. Your tuner can just clear the trouble code and turn the CEL off.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:00 PM
mwilson

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are telling me if I put my cats on before tune then my lights will go off! They want to wait till I get tune to put my cats on cause of the light! I want to put on my cats as soon as I can! Any suggestions for a shop in Houston?
Old 01-09-2014, 02:16 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
They are telling me if I put my cats on before tune then my lights will go off! They want to wait till I get tune to put my cats on cause of the light! I want to put on my cats as soon as I can! Any suggestions for a shop in Houston?
That is incorrect. The point of a tune is to modify the ECU to take advantage of the mods you do, i.e. high flow cats. There's little benefit to tuning BEFORE you have everything on there. Your tuner can cancel the check engine light if it does turn on, which it shouldn't.

All my work is done with Jtran Motorsports Inc, they're north of the beltway off Veteran's Memorial. They've got a mustang dyno, don't expect to break 300whp on it now that he's calibrated it.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:46 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
nice review. i also have 2.25" magnaflow catback on my sedan except i don't have any resonators, and of course being a sedan i have two mufflers. i will be adding two Vibrant 12" resonators to the system shortly though to hopefully lose the slight rasp when the car is cold. every time the car is on a lift the shop guys comment on the clean install. the X-pipe looks sharp.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:26 PM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
fitment looks good. lets get some sound clips and possibly some dyno numbers also. You should put on the HFC before you tune. Many threads on here say which throw the CEL light and which don't (favorite is Fast Intentions and least favorite is Berk).. Put them on before you tune. at least someone shares my pain on shipping to the Caribbean. I'm located in the Virgin Islands.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:16 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
nice review. i also have 2.25" magnaflow catback on my sedan except i don't have any resonators, and of course being a sedan i have two mufflers. i will be adding two Vibrant 12" resonators to the system shortly though to hopefully lose the slight rasp when the car is cold. every time the car is on a lift the shop guys comment on the clean install. the X-pipe looks sharp.
hope you post some sound clips with the new resonators. I have them on my sedan a well
Old 01-09-2014, 07:38 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
I had one.

I also dumped it due to headaches from the drone.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
This thread so far has the most positive comments on the Magnaflows that I have seen yet!
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 PM
Bugatti37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been strongly considering the magnaflow exhaust. Glad to see more positive feedback. I like the ark and gthaus but I dont want that loud of an exhaust and im not trying to spend 2k on an exhaust lol.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
GW330
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bugatti37
I've been strongly considering the magnaflow exhaust. Glad to see more positive feedback. I like the ark and gthaus but I dont want that loud of an exhaust and im not trying to spend 2k on an exhaust lol.
I am pleased, its a decent exhaust and I would recommend it for the price! I was worried about the clamps that connect the piping but they don't leak at all.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Catback Exhaust - review 6MT