Engine, Intake and Exhaust Subforum dedicated to breather or engine mods (intakes, exhaust, pulleys, N/A mods etc.)

Kinetix HFC's Install and review!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 09:34 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Received 374 Likes on 178 Posts
Kinetix HFC's Install and review!

Okay my fellow sedan owners. Let me start this thread by saying thanks for all the input I recieved before purchasing and installing my new HFC's from Kinetix. Your help, hints, and tricks made my install as easy as possible without having direct experience in this area of modding the G sedan.

Tools:
PB Blaster
Never Sieze Paste
Jack
Jack stands
1/2" Breaker bar
1/2" ratchet
14mm Deepwell Impact socket
14mm regular Impact socket
14mm wrench
9/16" wrench
7/8" wrench
1/2" Swivel extensions
38" of 1/2" extensions
1/2" Impact Wrench (Helps)
5/16" nut driver or cordless drill w/ 5/16" socket driver
Large Flat head screw driver

Installation:
The installation of these cat's was not an easy task as some of the mods I have done on this car. I began the night prior to the installation by removing the K&N intakes from my vehicle. This fully exposed the passenger side exhaust manifold to cat flange and bolts / studs. With the drivers side intake removed, the same exhaust manifold to cat flange was just barely visable but still was needed. I liberally sprayed Panther **** (PB Blaster) on each of the studs and bolts that held the manifold and cats together. (I seriously recommend this if one attempts to do this mod his or herself)

I used the 5/16" socket driver on my cordless drill to loosen the intake tubes and remove the Intakes from the engine compartment.

The next morning I started off this install by jacking up the front of the car and placing jackstands underneath to secure the car in the air. I placed wheel chocks behind the rear tires and engaged the E-brake to prevent the car from rolling off and killing me. Safety is always essential when under a vehicle.

With the 1/2" Impact wrench and 1/2" Breaker Bar I used the collection of 1/2" extensions and the 1/2" swivel + the 14mm Deepwell impact socket to get off the lower nut for the passenger side flange. The entire stud and nut threaded out which at first worried me but then I found it not to be an issue. I used the same collection of tools but with a standard 14mm impact socket to snap off the head of the top passenger & drivers side exhaust bolt. (They were the easiest to get at but the hardest to remove) I broke both sides bolts. Again, not an issue. I ran into problems getting onto the drivers side lower flanges stud so removed the front drivers side wheel and was easily able to use the 1/2" breaker bar and 14mm socket to break loose that stud. I used a 14mm ratcheting wrench to remove the lower nut and stud.

Getting under the car I sprayed down w/ PB the 4 bolts (2 on each cat) cat to Y-pipe flange bolts. I used a 24" 1/2" extension and the breaker bar to break free the outer flange nuts on the flange studs facing the rear of the car. I used the breaker bar out of fear of snapping the studs. (They are the only nuts and studs to be used when re-installing the new cats) I disconnected the O2 sensors from there plugs. I also removed the support bracket that connects both cats to the bottom of the transmission bell housing. After getting all the fasteners out of the flanges I used the large flat driver to pry the Y-pipes away from the OEM cat's. This turned out to be the easiest part of the removal process.

With the OEM cats out I removed the O2 sensors from each unit with a 7/8" wrench and my table vice. I used high temp. Never Sieze or Anti-Sieze compound on the threads of the O2 sensors when I re-installed them into the new cat's. I hung the new exuast gaskets on the original studs facing the rear of the car. Putting in the new cats and keeping the gaskets in place while trying to place the new Stainless hardware into the manifold flanges proved to be the trickiest part of this install. If you have a friend to help this would be a lot easier. I finally got the new cats in place with the hardware on but not tightened down. After all the bolts and nuts were in I secured the O2 sensors back in there plugs and re-hung the wire harnesses back into their hangers. I proceeded to tightened all the bolts and the two original nuts until I was confident that any more tighteneing would break a bolt. (No exhaust leaks was the goal)

I re-checked, then re-checked again every piece I had tampered with under that car to make sure I hadn't forgotten something in my excitement to get these things in place. After I was confident all was right I let down the car and re-installed my Intakes and engine cover. I used this forum (once again) to research how to reset the ECU. Installation complete!!!

Kinetix HFC's Review:

After resetting the ECU I started up the engine. I am totally biased here, but what came to life was everything I had hoped would for. A deep lovely exhaust note, clearly evident but not imposing. My wife and neighbors (yes, my antics always draw a crowd) just grinned when they saw my face light up. Mission complete! All the panther **** and manufacturing oils started to burn off and my non-mechanically inclined friends and family swore there was a burning wire under the car. I explained the situation to them....

The first test drive went very good. I kept my speed moddest and didn't give it all she had (the ECU was re-learning the new setup). I went up the street and out onto the main road a mile from my house. I took the car up to about 50MPH and just loved what I was hearing with the windows down. With the windows up I could deffinately hear the deep tone of the VQHR engine, but not so loud as to become annoying.

Back at the house I relaxed took a shower and waited for the car to cool down before the second ride. On start up of the second test drive I pulled out of my driveway and gave it a little bit more gas then was needed in the residential neighborhood. A VERY distinctive rasp at 3k-4k occured. I was feeling very let down by this. When I turned back onto the main street I had traveled earlier I gunned the engine and NO rasp occured?
I was puzzled. After a little bit of stopping at lights and taking off from lights I came up with a theory that maybe the new cats needed time to (warm up) before the rasp would disappear.

I tested this theory 5 times Saturday evening going into the night and the same results were obtained each time. When the cats were cool and I got the engine to 3k-4k their was a rasp. Once the car had been running for a few minutes, no rasp at all could be detected. The same holds true for this morning. I started the car cold and had a rasp on acceleration from a stop, after a minute or two no rasp at all could be heard.

I took the car on the highway this morning and at 70MPH I could hear the exhaust but it didn't become imposing. Not at all as loud as some I've heard. My overall thoughts on this mod are I love the sound. The rasp on cold start acceleration I can live with as long as it goes away once everything is warmed up. A very slight drone when driving on the freeway but not so bad as to become annoying. I find this setup to be well worth the money I paid for it. I'm happy and would recommend this product to someone with the same exhaust parts that I have. Kinetix HFC's and the Tanabe axle backs.

I would also like to give a VERY big Thank you to ScuderiaFan. He is a great guy and really gave me the "hookup" on the GT-R style painted tail lights AND the Autokitx CF Diffuser!

I hope this thread can be useful for any that are thinking about doing the HFC's mod to their sedan. Please pardon typos or misspellings.

Last edited by warped ideas; 12-29-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: added video link
The following 7 users liked this post by warped ideas:
beachbum718 (08-29-2015), blnewt (12-29-2013), G37Some (05-20-2014), Kuro (06-03-2014), samuel1021 (12-30-2013), VQ37VHR7ATX (10-17-2020), xtremeroller (02-03-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-29-2013, 09:45 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
That's a great write-up! Glad to hear it went well and you're happy.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:08 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Justin, awesome detailed install and review. Sounds like it'll take a while to wipe that grin off your face. Lol at the auto-x diffuser, I knew you'd end up w/ it, and I'm sure you'll be taking the wife wherever she wants in the near future
Look forward to seeing your pics w/ the new tails & diffuser and post some sound clips to go w/ your HFC review when you can.
BTW, were these HFCs or RHFCs (you've done so many mods lately I've lost track).
Old 12-29-2013, 10:19 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by blnewt
Justin, awesome detailed install and review. Sounds like it'll take a while to wipe that grin off your face. Lol at the auto-x diffuser, I knew you'd end up w/ it, and I'm sure you'll be taking the wife wherever she wants in the near future
Look forward to seeing your pics w/ the new tails & diffuser and post some sound clips to go w/ your HFC review when you can.
BTW, were these HFCs or RHFCs (you've done so many mods lately I've lost track).
Funny thing, Bro.... She suprised me with the cash in hand for the diffuser! I wasn't going to buy it...... My grin IS ear to ear, and thank you for the compliments. I have to figure out HOW to drop pic and videos onto threads first, then I WILL post up. Those GT-R style lights look amazing at night. Thanks for the insight on them. The diffuser really "finishes" the back of the vehicle. It kinda melds the blacked out tail lights with the rest of the rear end. They are just HFC's, no resonators.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 10:39 AM
aktif8

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
FI is the only maker (ttbomk) that adds a resonator totheir hfcs.

Op: awesome diy. I didnt have the cojones to take on this diy - I let the pros deal with mine.

Definitely - especially if you have an intake as well - get tuned. Also consider a Y pipe. I just got Uprev (Stillen gen 3, FI rhfcs, and top speed cat back,) and it definitely makes a significant difference in drivability. Also, my car was definitely running very lean, and the tune addressed that.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM
aktif8

Originally Posted by warped ideas
Funny thing, Bro.... She suprised me with the cash in hand for the diffuser! I wasn't going to buy it...... My grin IS ear to ear, and thank you for the compliments. I have to figure out HOW to drop pic and videos onto threads first, then I WILL post up. Those GT-R style lights look amazing at night. Thanks for the insight on them. The diffuser really "finishes" the back of the vehicle. It kinda melds the blacked out tail lights with the rest of the rear end. They are just HFC's, no resonators.
Please post a pic (as if I really need more convincing,)

I have midnight tails, and (especially with the sport front bumper / lip,) the rear does look unfinished.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:50 AM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

Originally Posted by aktif8
FI is the only maker (ttbomk) that adds a resonator totheir hfcs.

Op: awesome diy. I didnt have the cojones to take on this diy - I let the pros deal with mine.

Definitely - especially if you have an intake as well - get tuned. Also consider a Y pipe. I just got Uprev (Stillen gen 3, FI rhfcs, and top speed cat back,) and it definitely makes a significant difference in drivability. Also, my car was definitely running very lean, and the tune addressed that.
Already onto that next mod. I explained to my better half that a tune is pretty much essential at this point due to how much I've changed the stoiciometry (air:fuel) of the engine. I FINALLY found a tuner with a dyno and proof of their abilities in Pompano Beach, FL. (Only 20 minutes away) They do custom tuning on the very high end cars AND Nissan products. They have a video on Youtube of a GT-R doing the 1/4 in 9.3 sec @ 137MPH! I don't know much about drag racing but that seems awfully fast to me. I'll trust them to my car w/ the Uprev tune. I'll post up pics as soon as the car is bathed and I figure out how to post pics & vids.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
aktif8

Already onto that next mod. I explained to my better half that a tune is pretty much essential at this point due to how much I've changed the stoiciometry (air:fuel) of the engine. I FINALLY found a tuner with a dyno and proof of their abilities in Pompano Beach, FL. (Only 20 minutes away) They do custom tuning on the very high end cars AND Nissan products. They have a video on Youtube of a GT-R doing the 1/4 in 9.3 sec @ 137MPH! I don't know much about drag racing but that seems awfully fast to me. I'll trust them to my car w/ the Uprev tune. I'll post up pics as soon as the car is bathed and I figure out how to post pics & vids.
Imgur is a no-brainer - even generates the BB img tag for you
Old 12-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Yan141

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
In for sound/vids of it.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Mik3G37S

Received 211 Likes on 146 Posts
Great write up, glad you are happy with it, just like it was in my case, couldn't wipe that grin off my face for a long time , and still can't haha.. See I knew you were gonna end up with that AutoKits X diffuser since the guy was local to you and you were getting his tails already anyway ahhh now I'm jealous ! of the diffuser, Pics of the diffuser on your GS sedan pleaseeee
Old 12-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by aktif8
Please post a pic (as if I really need more convincing,)

I have midnight tails, and (especially with the sport front bumper / lip,) the rear does look unfinished.
ahhh another thing I need to get ,my damn midnight tails -_- how much were they, maybe wanna get rid off of them by any chance?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...1212-19530.jpg
https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...209-19531.html

Here is the picture of the diffuser w/ the GT-R style tail lights.

Sorry but this is the best I can do with the picture. My phone is having it's period today, and i could break it.
I also have a video I've been trying to upload onto youtube but again my phones being difficult. Check out my garage, there are 3 new pics in there. The one taken at night shows how filthy this car is right now. LOL

Last edited by warped ideas; 12-29-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/members...1212-19530.jpg
MyG37 - warped ideas's Album: Garage - The G - Picture

Here is the picture of the diffuser w/ the GT-R style tail lights.

Sorry but this is the best I can do with the picture. My phone is having it's period today, and i could break it.
I also have a video I've been trying to upload onto youtube but again my phones being difficult. Check out my garage, there are 3 new pics in there. The one taken at night shows how filthy this car is right now. LOL
That tail looks badas$ now, that diffuser looks perfect w/ that exhaust and the taillights look first rate.
Mike, remember, I can hook you up w/ the tail cutouts all you have to do is apply the paint and elbow grease and they'll come out just like Justins, Just do it
The following users liked this post:
warped ideas (12-29-2013)
Old 12-29-2013, 01:03 PM
warped ideas
A quarter past stripped

I do think that the diffuser just brought the whole picture together, again thanks for the compliments. I'll keep trying to figure out how to post up a vid on youtube. Then I'll link it to the thread for the interested to view.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 PM
Mik3G37S

Originally Posted by blnewt
That tail looks badas$ now, that diffuser looks perfect w/ that exhaust and the taillights look first rate.
Mike, remember, I can hook you up w/ the tail cutouts all you have to do is apply the paint and elbow grease and they'll come out just like Justins, Just do it
and as we talked about it before Brad, I'm not a fan of these GTR style tails, not my cup of tea, I am a huge fan of the midnight tailights though... they look sick !

Perhaps if aktif8 wouldn't mind posting some pictures of his midnight tails

Quick Reply: Kinetix HFC's Install and review!