Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Fitting a Nismo Finned Diff Cover & Temp Sender to a 4WAS G37 370gt

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 07:56 PM
rovert
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Fitting a Nismo Finned Diff Cover & Temp Sender to a 4WAS G37 370gt

With some modification it is possible, contrary to what I have been told.

Video up now on my youTube.

Cheers to All.
Old 11-05-2020, 02:22 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 725 Likes on 563 Posts
Amazing!, I have 4was as well kind of a bummer to realize it wont be such a easy upgrade.
On another note I see you have custom arms to the 4was unit. How has the rear been with this upgrade?
Old 11-06-2020, 04:05 AM
rovert
Registered Member

G'day Mate, rear suspension is pretty much where i want it as of now. All of the SPL Stuff takes out the movement within the stock rubber bushings that cause alignment distortion under acceleration/deceleration.
Its way more predictable & well mannered, particularly under acceleration.
Changing to a Semi Slick tire really highlighted how much the stock bush's in the stock arms deflect & distort, where wheel spin just masks these issues.
Cheers.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:49 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by rovert
G'day Mate, rear suspension is pretty much where i want it as of now. All of the SPL Stuff takes out the movement within the stock rubber bushings that cause alignment distortion under acceleration/deceleration.
Its way more predictable & well mannered, particularly under acceleration.
Changing to a Semi Slick tire really highlighted how much the stock bush's in the stock arms deflect & distort, where wheel spin just masks these issues.
Cheers.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Here in the states EVERYONE ditches the 4was due to inability to understand or fix the system when it breaks.
I've hear many accounts where people complain of unpredictability where the rear has a mind of it's own. This could have all been worn rubber.
I've never had this issue in mines.

Anything specific that you had to do to the arms in comparison to a non 4was?
Old 11-06-2020, 05:41 PM
rovert
Registered Member

G'day, yes my experience with the 4WAS so far has been very good. Unfortunately I think it gets a bad rap due to previous iterations of the system used on older Skylines. I have driven many older Skylines (R33/R34) with & without 4was & would agree that there were many issues with it. None of which I have experienced with my V36.
The Issues I have had with the rear suspension are the same whether 4was or not, primarily lack of adjustability & Bush Deflection. At stock power levels its not too noticeable, but upping the power substantially & running super grippy tires on top really highlights its short comings.
That said, most vehicles have similar issues. Yes the Arms need to be longer than non 4WAS cars. I went through this with SPL many years ago to get the right lengths, (Toe & Camber Arms) basically I found you can just use an extended adjuster from them to bring the setup back in spec. You would need to talk to your supplier about this before ordering any arms.
Cheers Mate.
Old 02-11-2022, 03:39 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by rovert
G'day, yes my experience with the 4WAS so far has been very good. Unfortunately I think it gets a bad rap due to previous iterations of the system used on older Skylines. I have driven many older Skylines (R33/R34) with & without 4was & would agree that there were many issues with it. None of which I have experienced with my V36.
The Issues I have had with the rear suspension are the same whether 4was or not, primarily lack of adjustability & Bush Deflection. At stock power levels its not too noticeable, but upping the power substantially & running super grippy tires on top really highlights its short comings.
That said, most vehicles have similar issues. Yes the Arms need to be longer than non 4WAS cars. I went through this with SPL many years ago to get the right lengths, (Toe & Camber Arms) basically I found you can just use an extended adjuster from them to bring the setup back in spec. You would need to talk to your supplier about this before ordering any arms.
Cheers Mate.
Hey Rovert, I ended up going with a mix SPC upgraded toe bolts. Factory G37 bolts were too short. Audi bolts were just right.

I wanted to ask you if you ever went LSD on your car being that you're boosted, I would like to install a 370z LSD differential in the future however I want to make sure the 4WAS doesnt interfere with the LSD since no 4WAS came with LSD.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:29 PM
rovert
Registered Member

G'day Mate, fortunately, all of the JDM 4WAS 370gt's have the Viscous LSD from the Factory. Its a great combination, even without boost.
Go for it, you won't be sorry.
Cheers Mate.