Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

P0345 and a Broken Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 09:50 AM
Poncher
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P0345 and a Broken Camshaft

Yes. You read that right. Broken Camshaft - driver side intake camshaft to be specific. Thought I’d share this on the site.
Story:
I was driving to work on a normal day. The weather seemed favorable as I live in beautiful Southern California. I was driving at around 45 mph in a 50 mph zone when suddenly the engine goes into limp mode. Power is limited, so I pull over to the side of the road, clear from oncoming traffic. I turn off the car and pull out the OBD2 Scanner only to find trouble code P0345. So in my head, I’m already expecting that the timing chain jumped a tooth. I call AAA road side assistance and while I wait for them, I check the camshaft position sensors on the driver side and they seemed fine. The engine seemed clean, oil as well.
... Well once all that was situated and I have the car in my garage, I get to work. I start taking the front end off to get to the front timing cover and take off the spark plugs and valve covers as well to get a better look of the valve/timing components. I put the engine to TDC, notice that the timing chain jumped 1 tooth and the driver side intake sprocket is facing down at an angle. It’s strange to see that happen, which lead me to investigate more by taking off the plate that holds down the camshaft. Surprise! It’s a broken intake camshaft!

Over a year ago, I had trouble with code P0011, which ended up being an internally broken intake sprocket. Few months later, I spun a bearing ( cylinder #5) rod knock was audible. I rebuilt the bottom end with forged internals from Wiseco, Brian Crower (11:1), and King main/rod bearings and a new crankshaft that was balanced by the machine shop. Roughly 2,500 miles later on the rebuild, this happens. I was using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 (6.5qts w/ JWT oil pan spacer).

My next step is to check for bent valves and compression. Just curious on how the phenomenon happened and if anyone has VQ35HR Camshafts for sale.

TDC

I covered the truth.

Trash

Broken

Last year’s P0011 code was a result of this.

Last edited by Poncher; 07-14-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:59 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Wow. Just wow. My guess is a one-in-a-million casting flaw.
The following users liked this post:
Poncher (07-14-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Wow. Just wow. My guess is a one-in-a-million casting flaw.
My reaction exactly,wow, just wow...other than a casting flaw, how could that even happen.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Poncher
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
My reaction exactly,wow, just wow...other than a casting flaw, how could that even happen.
Not sure. I torqued the sprocket bolt(s) to 75ft/lbs. It could have been a faulty tensioner, most likely the driver side upper tensioner.
The cylinders seem to hold adequate pressure when air is blown into the spark plug hole. That means that the valves are not bent.