Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Soft Clutch Pedal in the Morning

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Soft Clutch Pedal in the Morning

Now that it's starting to get cold again, I'm experiencing an issue with my clutch pedal. It's very soft at the top, until the car warms up, and then all is right with the world. For background:
  • 40k miles on the car and original clutch.
  • OEM Clutch Slave Cylinder replaced at 18k miles.
  • RJM clutch pedal assembly for the last 20k miles.
  • Clutch fluid drained, filled and bled by my mechanic about 500 miles ago.
I suppose it could be air in the line since the fluid swap, but why now and why because it's cold? It could also be the CSC failing again, although the first time it failed without warning, dead to the floor. It could also be the Clutch Master Cylinder.

Anyone have any insights into this problem? Kind of scary reliving that feeling from years ago where you can't trust your clutch.

[edit]

I'm going to replace the Clutch Master Cylinder.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:00 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Did the level in the reservoir change at all?

Are you in a position to bleed it yourself (or with a helper)?

Might be the master tooż? Not sealing well enough until fluid is somewhat warm (seals becoming more pliable when warm).
Old 10-15-2018, 01:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Did the level in the reservoir change at all?

Are you in a position to bleed it yourself (or with a helper)?

Might be the master tooż? Not sealing well enough until fluid is somewhat warm (seals becoming more pliable when warm).
Nope, level is topped off. I checked.

No, I'm not really up for bleeding it myself. I'll have to hit up my mechanic for that.

Master... ugh. Do you have to lower the transmission for access to the CMC like you do the CSC? I can't say as I'm mechanically familiar with these parts.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:18 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Master should be removable from the top. Might have to move some brake lines out of the way. I recall reading removing a stud from the mc mount makes it easier. The 370z mc lacks the damper the g37 models have, making it easier to install. IIRC, rjm has a heavy duty master available.

Still, I think starting point is to bleed it again. Wonder how your mechanic bled it. I use gravity bleed for 4-5 refills of the reservoir then traditional (with helper) bleeding for another 1 - 1.5 refills. Got that fall colors cruise coming up this weekend and it's supposed to be chilly (40's). Hopefully no issues.. ~35K on the car now.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I agree. I should start with my mechanic and a re-bleed. Does it make any kind of sense thinking air in the line, with a problem like I'm describing being after the car cools down?

It's sucks when you lose faith in the simple mechanics of a thing like a clutch pedal. But having the pedal drop to the floor and stay there like it did when the CSC failed 4 years ago... that kind of thing really sticks with you.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:42 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I hear you. I experienced this on one of my motorcycles. Grab point kept changing. Couldn't figure out if it was the slave or the master or both. Eventually got rid of the bike before the issue was fixed. Next one had a cable clutch. I had almost 40K on the bike in less than 3 years. Had I kept it longer I would of just replaced the cable for good measure and called it a day.

No extended warranty left on the car?
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

No extended warranty left on the car?
6 year/70K drivetrain warranty. So... no. I'm on my own now with this car.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:47 PM
6MT>7AT
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had this issue in the past but noticed that it only seems to occur when I leave the car in gear overnight. I don't understand the correlation or if it's just a coincidence but figured I'd share to see if you notice a similar occurrence . In regards to having air in the lines I had this occur after changing my clutch fluid and this caused my clutch to go completely dead and would basically have to be resuscitated by pumping it about 20-30 times every 10 minutes. I was able to get it to my mechanic by constantly pumping the clutch while at stop lights.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (10-15-2018)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 6MT>7AT
I've had this issue in the past but noticed that it only seems to occur when I leave the car in gear overnight. I don't understand the correlation or if it's just a coincidence but figured I'd share to see if you notice a similar occurrence.
Not a mechanic, but I can't see why leaving it in gear would matter. I typical leave it in gear while in the garage, but it's easy enough to stop doing that and just leave the P-Brake on.

Originally Posted by 6MT>7AT
In regards to having air in the lines I had this occur after changing my clutch fluid and this caused my clutch to go completely dead and would basically have to be resuscitated by pumping it about 20-30 times every 10 minutes. I was able to get it to my mechanic by constantly pumping the clutch while at stop lights.
Yikes! Scaring me, man.

I'm wondering, if it's air in the clutch line in direct correlation to having the clutch fluid swapped 500 miles ago, then why did it take so long for the problem to bubble up? (no pun)
Old 10-15-2018, 04:37 PM
6MT>7AT
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm wondering, if it's air in the clutch line in direct correlation to having the clutch fluid swapped 500 miles ago, then why did it take so long for the problem to bubble up? (no pun)[/QUOTE]

Yeah for me the problem occurred directly after changing the fluid so I doubt you're having the same issue. I spent a full day attempting to burp the system with no success. I won't be attempting that myself again.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Third morning in a row where the clutch pedal was soft from top-to-middle before engagement, then got better (normal) after the car warmed up... just a few miles. So I drove to my mechanic's shop to talk to him about it. While there, we bled the clutch line thoroughly. I'm in the car on the lift, he's underneath, and one of his guys is on a ladder keeping the reservoir topped off. Then he got into the footwell and adjusted the master cylinder... not that there was much adjustment available, maybe one thread rotation.

Drove home. For a bit, all was normal, and then it went bad while driving, reverting to that early-morning behavior all the time now. It's pretty damn scary, feeling almost no pressure at the top of clutch, and a small window of engagement, like the pedal is about to hit the floor and never come back up.

God damn it.

So where does that leave me? Replacing the Clutch Master Cylinder?
Old 10-16-2018, 02:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm researching CSC elimination kits. There's this thread, which died off about a year ago.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...ator-kits.html
Old 10-16-2018, 02:52 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Start simple. You're sure there's no air in the system?

If not, slave cylinder. Too bad you have to replace it to determine if the master cylinder is bad.

If still problematic, there's a problem with your hydraulic line. Maybe make this #2.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:26 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I agree with starting simple, but don't agree with the above conclusion.

We know that when the CSC fails, it leaks. This means reservoir level goes down and must be replenished. What other type of CSC failure is there if the seal is not broken and leaking?

So, assuming there is no air in the system then the issue must be at the master. Given the symptoms, it sort of makes sense. There is movement within the master every time the pedal is pushed. I don't know what these seals are made of, but probably some form of rubber. When cold, rubber isn't as pliable compared to when warm. So it's possible, because of wear, it isn't sealing as well until the assembly/fluid warms up slightly, and seal is able to better conform to surface.

Considering replacing a master is magnitudes cheaper than the slave, that's where I would start.

Another thing you could do is disconnect the clevis from the master pushrod. Let the car sit over night. In the am try to modulate the pushrod manually. If it's leaking internally (failed master) then the required effort should be minimal.

http://constructionforklifts.tpub.co...14-P0078im.jpg

From what I recall it's all hard lines except for a small flexible section connecting the reservoir to master.

Another thought, you have the rjm pedal right. So for typical operation, the master is not fully stroked. From what I recall in the instructions, it's advised to adjust the pedal for maximum stroke when bleeding. Was this done?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Considering replacing a master is magnitudes cheaper than the slave, that's where I would start.
Well, that's certainly true. Awkward to access, but nothing as major as a transmission drop.

OEM Master Cylinder, Jsolo? I'm not finding any big aftermarket for the CMC.

Another thought, you have the rjm pedal right. So for typical operation, the master is not fully stroked. From what I recall in the instructions, it's advised to adjust the pedal for maximum stroke when bleeding. Was this done?
I don't know what this means. The RJM is dialed all the way counter-clockwise, for widest engagement.

I know this because just the other day I was thinking engagement was pretty narrow, and when I went to check the lock-out screw was loose, and apparently it wiggled clockwise over time, instead of the other way.

Quick Reply: Help Soft Clutch Pedal in the Morning