Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

'Rough' idle after bolt ons / Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:17 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
'Rough' idle after bolt ons / Build thread

Hey guys I just need some feedback on some issues so far.

My engine mounts went bad two weeks back so I used the opportunity to get the Z1 Urethane motor mounts installed. The NVH increase was minimal for me post install.

I then installed the Tanabe mufflers on Thursday and yesterday (Saturday) installed the FI RHFC, Stillen Gen 3 intakes, and Eibach front and rear sway bars.
My mechanical skills before this point were limited to changing my own tires; I still have not done an oil change but I'm pretty sure I did the installs correctly thanks to the detailed DIYs on these forums.
It took me loads of time/energy/cursing - 10 am till 10 pm working non stop with the RHFCs easily being the most difficult install of the bunch - but I'm glad I did it all myself.

The sound is just magnificent, didn't wanna push the car yesterday as I had just done the installs so jury is still out on performance. I'm also getting an EcuTek E-tune done this week hopefully by Sebastian from SpecialtyZ.

I noticed that the vehicle vibrates quite heavily if I hold it in drive (in traffic for example) and slightly less so in idling in park. Is that normal? I didn't reattach the bracket support that goes between OEM cats as the RHFCs don't have any attachments for that.

Tl;DR - Installed Z1 Urethane motor mount, Stillen intakes, RHFCs, Eibach sways, Tanabe mufflers. Getting vibration in park and idling in drive...kinda like the car angry; is that normal?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
The NVH from the motor mounts combined w/ the higher flowing intake/exhaust would seem to be the extra "impact" your feeling, assuming everything is torqued down properly.
The following users liked this post:
Exploded_Muffin (09-25-2017)
Old 09-24-2017, 11:39 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Yep the FI RHFC's add vibration at idle. They deny it yet everyone who buys them knows it's true. I'm sure the combo as blnewt stated, is causing the issue. I'd make sure the exhaust is lined up straight and not hitting any cross members or coming really close. It could look good while you're under the car but may cause vibrations when the engine is running.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 AM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Yep the FI RHFC's add vibration at idle. They deny it yet everyone who buys them knows it's true. I'm sure the combo as blnewt stated, is causing the issue. I'd make sure the exhaust is lined up straight and not hitting any cross members or coming really close. It could look good while you're under the car but may cause vibrations when the engine is running.
Thanks a lot guys. Yea I believe it's most likely the RHFCs as I can feel the most impact around the area the RHFCs are. I was also wondering why there were no bracket supports, the exhaust system from the cats all the way to the mid pipe is basically just hanging there with no support.
It seems like an easy design to add bracket supports to the RHFCs though, just weld a small piece of metal....meh.

Thanks for the input anyway, I'll get the car up on a lift and put it in gears to see if I can find any contact points with the engine running and I'll probably have to get someone to weld supports points on the cats.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM
Himalaya
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yup, if you want to get rid of that RHFC vibration, get a bracket welded just like how it was stock and it'll go away. I only had a vibration in my passenger seat but it went away after I did that
Old 09-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Your mounts you put on will transfer more vibration vs own ones that are rubber with fluid in them
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Himalaya
yup, if you want to get rid of that RHFC vibration, get a bracket welded just like how it was stock and it'll go away. I only had a vibration in my passenger seat but it went away after I did that
Ah I see, will definitely get that done sometime soon then and will update this thread with the results, thanks

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Your mounts you put on will transfer more vibration vs own ones that are rubber with fluid in them
I don't think it's the mounts as I drove with them for about 2 weeks and it wasn't much different from the stock mounts. The vibration only came after I installed the RHFCs
Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM
Eyeshield25

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I remembered when I had polyurethane mounts in my Rsx-S. Rattled like a mfker but it was the top 5 mods I done to that car since shifting gears was so much more direct and natural.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:28 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
It's the mounts the extra vibration just made the other smaller ones become larger
Old 09-30-2017, 06:45 PM
Exploded_Muffin
Registered Member

Quick update;

I got my base EcuTek tune by Sebastian at Specialty Z installed 2 days ago.
Can't say anything new here, the tune changes the characteristics of the car and this is just the base tune.

The vibrations I was having in drive and reverse gear went away right after I installed the tune so seems like my ignition timing was off?. There's still a little vibration which is most likely from the Z1 mounts and FI RHFCs but it's minimal and I only remember it's there after driving a different car and coming back to mine.

My exhaust definitely got louder as well (is that normal?), seems like the engine badly needed a tune after my bolt ons. The Tanabe + RHFC combo sounds absolutely glorious, the best way I can describe it is like the growl tigers make with extra depth. I wasn't too impressed the first day I installed the Tanabe's - just seemed loud and droney - but they've settled in nicely now.

The car is just smoother and more responsive overall. Still studying my gas mileage but on the first night after the base tune I got about 32.1 mpg on a 15 mile highway stretch averaging 63mph. Dunno how accurate the car's calculator is but I had never broken 29 mpg on the highway before.

Currently doing data logs with my first map so should be done in about a week or so and will give another update.

For anyone considering EcuTek tuning I say go for it if you have the $$ to spend. It's not gonna make your car 0-60 in under 5 seconds if that's what you're looking for but it just makes the car more enjoyable to drive. The only downside is that you get used to it pretty quickly and the ear to ear grin goes away after 24 hours
Old 10-01-2017, 03:26 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Sorry to thread jack, does this apply to FI’s test pipes? I had to put the factory car back, back in because of the terrible passenger side vibration at idle and a bit above.