Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Ticking/knocking from engine bay at 3k rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 PM
J_V_III

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking/knocking from engine bay at 3k rpm

Hi, I spent hours on the forum searching for a similar issue to no avail. So decided to post my problem.

Car info:
G37 Sport Coupe
Manual Transmission
92k miles

I hear a slight tick/knock when I'm in the rev range of 3000. It only happens when I'm in gear. If I rev the engine out of gear, there's no weird sounds. I've actually been having this issue for about a year now. But there's no difference in performance or anything, just annoying and was finally able to pin point exactly when it happens. I only use Premium Unleaded gas and Mobil-1 Fully Synthetic oil.

Any information helps!
Old 09-20-2017, 08:18 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Maybe tune up the AF ratio? Seb noticed a little bit of knocking around that range for my car as well and he tuned the AF ratio to be a bit richer.

If you're just asking if this is normal, I can tell you that it is not abnormal.

I know people are going to disagree with me again, but my trusted source (Specialty-Z) claims our cars are tuned for 93. Sure they'll run on 91, and they'll even run on 87; but that's not what's best for a high compression engine.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:26 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
how about posting an audio clip of the noise? ticking and knocking noises are totally different in tone. is it a tick or is it a knock? hard for anyone to identify what is normal or abnormal or not abnormal just by reading your description since you also claim the noise is not there when revving engine while out of gear.