Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help car shaking on high speed - powertrain issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:46 AM
ak1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
car shaking on high speed - powertrain issue?

My car shakes a little bit, back and force, on high speed like 60-75 miles. I feel it on my driver sit. I balance tires twice and it did not help. I went to Nissan dealer (I did not have Infiniti near by) and they said it might be powertrain and suggested to go to Infititi dealer. Also, I have check engine light (random misfire code) appearing every 3 months. I replaces spark plugs and but the light still appears randomly after drving 2K when I start a car, only when I start a car.

I wondering if anybody can suggest based on previous experience how I can differentiate between powertrain issue and random engine misfire. I am trying to figure out what causes car shaking a little bit on high speed,where to invest money

I have g37s 6MT 2009
Old 06-19-2017, 11:42 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Go to autozone or similar to get your codes read. That would be a starting point.
A misfire would cause surging/hesitation too which could be construed as shaking.
Could also be something trans or trans control related.

Get it properly diagnosed.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:23 PM
hockeyzbh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ak1
My car shakes a little bit, back and force, on high speed like 60-75 miles. I feel it on my driver sit. I balance tires twice and it did not help. I went to Nissan dealer (I did not have Infiniti near by) and they said it might be powertrain and suggested to go to Infititi dealer. Also, I have check engine light (random misfire code) appearing every 3 months. I replaces spark plugs and but the light still appears randomly after drving 2K when I start a car, only when I start a car.

I wondering if anybody can suggest based on previous experience how I can differentiate between powertrain issue and random engine misfire. I am trying to figure out what causes car shaking a little bit on high speed,where to invest money

I have g37s 6MT 2009

I have the same problem at high speeds. I went to the dealer and they said my U-Joints are worn (did not tell them about the swaying so may not be the cause). Recommended that I replace the drivetrain. Didn't do it since they wanted to charge me 1.3k to do it but I did have a mechanic look at it and he said there is a little play in them but that it wasn't a crucial fix. Lemme know what you find out im curious
Old 06-19-2017, 04:04 PM
G37xS-Life
Registered Member

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ak1

I have g37s 6MT 2009
Sounds like drive shaft or u-joint, or something along the line of where power is transfer from engine to the wheel. I experienced something like this in my other car (not the G or Q).
Old 06-19-2017, 04:49 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Do you have aftermarket wheels? If so you might need hub adapting rings to get rid of the vibration.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 AM
kidtronix
Build your own bandwagon.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is the vibration consistent or does it go away after everything warms up?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:32 PM
ak1
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thank you for your replies.

I have original wheels. The code for engine check engine "Random misfire".

The vibration is small. It is pretty consistent but it happens only on high speed, like 65-70miles/hour. I do not drive on highway every day, so I do not experience it all the time. If it continues, I'll go to mechanic or dealer.