Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Vibration 4 a few miles, then gone + very brief power fade

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 09:23 AM
kidtronix
Build your own bandwagon.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Vibration 4 a few miles, then gone + very brief power fade

Reposting in this forum to see if I get some bites.

Stock '15 Q60S coupe 6MT. ZERO mods. 9K miles. Have only had it 12 months since new.

I'll try to keep it brief. On each and every startup:

Vibration for the first mile or two after I first get underway. Doesn't matter if engine is at operating temp or not. This is a full vehicle vibration, not just isolated to the steering wheel, the brake pedal, or the seat. There is also a brief (like 1-2 second) power 'fade' that can be felt (as it's not a loss of power). There is no audible evidence of the engine misbehaving and no, my foot is not on the brake. You know how it feels when you're going downhill with the cruise on and it lets off the gas and you briefly feel yourself lunge forward? THAT's the best way to characterize it, like a loss of momentum. It feels like the brakes are being quickly, smoothly, briefly applied. And like I said, it's for barely 2 seconds that it does it. Then it never does it again, until you shut down, restart, and drive again.

After the first mile or two of vibration the car is SMOOTH AS SILK and drives flawlessly like that car's meant to.

I used to think this was a cold weather-related issue but it is persisting into the warmer months now. This happens with both my winter and summer wheel setups so wheels and tires are not the issue. Brakes still feel like new. Tires have no cupping or feathering and are balanced well.

Dealership changed rear diff fluid to no avail.

Never had a vibration that works itself out like this and goes away after driving. Vibrations usually persist and indicate a specific problem. Well, this one persists every day, but goes away AS you drive the damn thing!

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this? I can't find any threads anywhere about anything this bizarre. I've pretty much exhausted my mechanical knowledge on this one. Something in the driveline is not right. I'm down to maybe the flywheel isn't freed up for the first mile or two then it starts to properly dampen vibrations. My G coupe had a defective flywheel (high spots) so I have little faith in them, even if the G37/Q60 tranny isn't the CD009. Maybe a bad brake pedal/brake light switch?

Thanks crew.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:58 AM
kidtronix

Anybody? Nobody?
Old 07-10-2017, 06:51 PM
kidtronix

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 07-10-2017, 07:17 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by kidtronix
Reposting in this forum to see if I get some bites.

Stock '15 Q60S coupe 6MT. ZERO mods. 9K miles. Have only had it 12 months since new.

I'll try to keep it brief. On each and every startup:

Vibration for the first mile or two after I first get underway. Doesn't matter if engine is at operating temp or not. This is a full vehicle vibration, not just isolated to the steering wheel, the brake pedal, or the seat. There is also a brief (like 1-2 second) power 'fade' that can be felt (as it's not a loss of power). There is no audible evidence of the engine misbehaving and no, my foot is not on the brake. You know how it feels when you're going downhill with the cruise on and it lets off the gas and you briefly feel yourself lunge forward? THAT's the best way to characterize it, like a loss of momentum. It feels like the brakes are being quickly, smoothly, briefly applied. And like I said, it's for barely 2 seconds that it does it. Then it never does it again, until you shut down, restart, and drive again.

After the first mile or two of vibration the car is SMOOTH AS SILK and drives flawlessly like that car's meant to.

I used to think this was a cold weather-related issue but it is persisting into the warmer months now. This happens with both my winter and summer wheel setups so wheels and tires are not the issue. Brakes still feel like new. Tires have no cupping or feathering and are balanced well.

Dealership changed rear diff fluid to no avail.

Never had a vibration that works itself out like this and goes away after driving. Vibrations usually persist and indicate a specific problem. Well, this one persists every day, but goes away AS you drive the damn thing!

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this? I can't find any threads anywhere about anything this bizarre. I've pretty much exhausted my mechanical knowledge on this one. Something in the driveline is not right. I'm down to maybe the flywheel isn't freed up for the first mile or two then it starts to properly dampen vibrations. My G coupe had a defective flywheel (high spots) so I have little faith in them, even if the G37/Q60 tranny isn't the CD009. Maybe a bad brake pedal/brake light switch?

Thanks crew.
Why would you not have the dealer fix the problem?

After they changed the differential fluid you should have returned immediately.

Make an appointment with the service manager and have him assign their most experienced tech to drive your car & tell you what the problem is.

Telcoman
Old 07-12-2017, 10:58 AM
kidtronix

Of course I'm going to have the dealership fix the problem, it's all under warranty. Best tech has already been on it. Same guy who's worked on my cars for the last 12 years. Owns a 6MT himself. Just wanted to get a feel from other people as to what the issue might be. Taking it back in next week. More to come.