Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine oil on spark plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 12:21 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Engine oil on spark plug

Hey guys, I decided to do some spring maintenance on my 2011 g37x.
Cleaned TB's, started replacing spark plugs since I am close to 100k on the car, still have to install new belt and replace wheel hub since its making quite a bit of noise.

Anyhow, I got to the spark plug on the driver side, I think thats a 5, I took it out and seem like the spark plug has been bathing in oil. Not sure for how long but it didn't look pretty. I don't have a problem with oil consumption, all is fine on that side.

Any idea what am I looking for? bad gasket or worst? All remaining spark plugs were in clean condition, don't have any issue with miss fire, car runs like a champ.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:59 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
the gasket seal is a very common problem. in the old g35 you had to remove and replace the whole valve cover to fix the oil leak. cause the gasket was built into the valve cover.

as far as i understand in our g37s we only have to replace the gaskets. i think our gaskets are removable. so if you are handy, you can remove the valve cover and replace the gasket. otherwise take it somewhere and have it done. i dont think it will be too expensive.
The following users liked this post:
Stachuu (03-28-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 01:06 AM
Stachuu
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Great, looks like gaskets are cheap 10-15 bucks, I will check out whats involved in replacing it, I think I got everything to make it dyi one of the weekends.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:05 PM
skriLLah

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm having the same problem with the same car make and year. Did you ever diagnose the root cause? I thought about replacing the coil boot and spark plug first. Now it's the spark plug gasket it seems. THis is an older thread so I hope you're still around
Old 02-16-2020, 09:11 PM
StevieG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did the valve cover gasket replacement, put all back together and it will not start. what did I do wrong?
Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Originally Posted by StevieG
did the valve cover gasket replacement, put all back together and it will not start. what did I do wrong?
Simply just double check everything you disconnected and make sure it is in place.
Whenever I work on something I don't know well, I ALWAYS take progress pictures with my phone. It is an easy way to see how everything should be.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2020, 12:30 AM
G37Memo
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Changed the valve cover gaskets and spark plugs a few months ago on my 2013 G37 Sedan. Found a crap ton of oil in the intake plenum and found my spark plugs caked in oil too. I decided to replace the PCV valves and added the Mishimoto dual catch can in hopes to liviate the oil that makes it into the combustion chamber.

Here's the YouTube vids a made in this process:

Will be doing a full review on the catch cans soon.