Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2010 coupe 6MT bogging at low rpm

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 08:54 PM
Kevin Miller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 coupe 6MT bogging at low rpm

Hello all! I have been searching different forums for a few days now with no real success as of yet. A few weeks ago I purchased a 2010 g37s coupe 6mt with 57k miles and recently noticed a little issue that it has. In the lower rpm (2-3k) i'm noticing a hesitation or stumble which clears up by 4k rpm. It feels as if the ecu is pulling timing or something to that affect. I have no codes active or stored which is leaving me clueless. The only mod the car has currently is a nismo cold air intake. I have already tried cleaning the MAF sensors with nothing changing. I am a little worried about the rear timing cover gaskets that are known to fail but am under the impression i would have a CEL for low oil pressure or something of that nature. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I plan to have the dealer do an ECU update to see if that solves the problem.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:12 AM
KdubyaH

Could it just be a dirty air filter? Maybe fuel filter or clogged cat?
Old 03-01-2017, 12:14 PM
canucklehead

Received 142 Likes on 125 Posts
the issue is unrelated to the leaking rear timing gasket. check your MAF, filters, and vacuum. the CAI can reduce low end torque in some cases. also, reset your ECU.

i have noticed a lack of power in lower RPMs at times, particularly in warm weather. if i step on it under 2k rpms, it takes until 3-3500 rpm for the engine to pull with much urgency. almost seems like a turbo-lag effect. part of the issue is just the power delivery of the VQ matched with the 6MT. there just isn't a bunch of grunt down low, but by 3k rpm or so things pick up.

after 6 years of ownership i've learned to live with the characteristics. i've found nothing is "wrong", it is just the nature of the car.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:59 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Have you changed your trans and diff fluid
Old 03-01-2017, 09:16 PM
Kevin Miller

Maf sensors have been cleaned, air filters are perfectly clean, trand and diff fluid are brand new with genuine nissan fluid (i work in parts at a nissan dealer). My invidia exhaust comes in on monday so ill check the cats when i install that. Definitely something going wrong and not just low on power in that rpm range. It has good power starting in first gear at 1k but by the time i hit 2k i can hear it bogging and actually puts me forward in the seat then clears up and runs perfect past 4k.
Old 03-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Kevin Miller

I have access to the consult iii computer at work and plan on scanning it and looking for ecm updates tomorrow night
Old 03-02-2017, 02:32 AM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Its apparently just a thing. Mine does it too...I still think it could be in need of some new plugs and wires. I have yet to come across someone that has been able to correct this issue completely
Old 03-02-2017, 04:16 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Have you checked all your suspension bushings and motor trans mounts
Old 03-02-2017, 05:45 AM
KdubyaH

Originally Posted by Kevin Miller
Maf sensors have been cleaned, air filters are perfectly clean, trand and diff fluid are brand new with genuine nissan fluid (i work in parts at a nissan dealer). My invidia exhaust comes in on monday so ill check the cats when i install that. Definitely something going wrong and not just low on power in that rpm range. It has good power starting in first gear at 1k but by the time i hit 2k i can hear it bogging and actually puts me forward in the seat then clears up and runs perfect past 4k.
so it feels like VDC is on? That is the exact feeling I get if slam it into 2nd without turning off VDC
Old 03-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Kevin Miller

It does somewhat feel like the VDC kicks in but it does it with VDC on and off. as For the bushings i havnt checked them all but tough to believe they could cause that type of problem :/
Old 03-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Worn bushings can make that feeling
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM
TwistedIllusion
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have noticed this on my 10 6mt as well. Bought about 6 months ago. With 60k on it. Has a stillen long tube cai on it. Tried cleaning the air filters as well and no change. Mostly notice when powering out of a corner in that same rpm range. I chalked it up to the way the 3.7 makes power. Never had this issue on my 07 g35. Interested on where this thread goes. Subscribed.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:15 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 271 Posts
Our engines don't make very much power below 2,500.

Once I had a similar issue and I suspect is was bad gas.
If possible, top up with a brand name 91 octane and see if there is any difference.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM
Kevin Miller

It does feel exactly like bad gas in the low rpm range. Its not just low torque. Drained the tank of gas that was in it and refueled with sunoco 93 and no difference. Gonna try to find someone to swap mafs with next.