Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 02:08 PM
sinnerfa
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Vibration

I have a 09 g37 sedan and i use redline oil only, yet i still have the weird VVEL noise. I have had the TSB done twice, so whatever was done does not seem to work longterm. So instead of going to the dealer am I able to have a tune done to the car that will eliminate it? Or am i stuck with the dealer
every so often? Is it possible that the cam sensors are going and causing this? I have no CELs...

Also, here is a description of the noise: at idle i can hear it, but when VVEL kicks in it is a loud vibration that goes in a nice wave pattern. Is it the VVEL or something else?
Old 01-24-2017, 06:03 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
video with the sounds you are talking about would help.
Old 01-24-2017, 06:40 PM
sinnerfa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by godzilla619
video with the sounds you are talking about would help.
Will try to get a good enough clip, thanks.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Where do you hear it in the RPM range? I get what I think you are describing in higher RPM's starting at around 6k. Never knew what it was but sounds like what your hearing.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:37 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
I didn't know VVEL "kicked in".
Old 01-25-2017, 03:22 AM
sinnerfa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Selym
I didn't know VVEL "kicked in".
When it is not in its idle state and it starts to adjust the timing.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:25 AM
sinnerfa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tank99
Where do you hear it in the RPM range? I get what I think you are describing in higher RPM's starting at around 6k. Never knew what it was but sounds like what your hearing.
i hear it most when i am cruising at about 75 mph and rpms are about 2700-3000. I'll double check this morning. It is coming from up front. Checked motor mounts, trans mount and driveshaft for anything suspicious, nothing.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 PM
sinnerfa
Registered Member

Okay, I have tried to get a good recording of it, but every attempt didn't have anything noticible.

So, I have noticed something weird:

In the morning on a cold start it makes this noise. Once it is warmed up it still makes the noise. If I come to a complete stop and shut it off and start it up again the noise and issues I hear go away. Also, since the mornings have been in the 60's+ it doesn't happen at all... So it appears to be related to cold weather. Any ideas?
Old 02-16-2017, 01:35 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by sinnerfa
Okay, I have tried to get a good recording of it, but every attempt didn't have anything noticible.

So, I have noticed something weird:

In the morning on a cold start it makes this noise. Once it is warmed up it still makes the noise. If I come to a complete stop and shut it off and start it up again the noise and issues I hear go away. Also, since the mornings have been in the 60's+ it doesn't happen at all... So it appears to be related to cold weather. Any ideas?

when was the last oil change and how is your oil level? perhaps you may want to switch to another full synthetic motor oil and see if the noise goes away.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:07 PM
sinnerfa
Registered Member

Originally Posted by crookncastle
when was the last oil change and how is your oil level? perhaps you may want to switch to another full synthetic motor oil and see if the noise goes away.
Oil level is good, less than 1000 miles on Nissan Ester Oil.