Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Car starts, revs up, then stalls and shuts off

Old 12-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Broseph

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car starts, revs up, then stalls and shuts off

So... Ive been having this problem for awhile now.

Car is a 2011 g37 IPL coupe.

Seemingly randomly, sometimes when i try to start the car the following will happen:

Starts, revs up to maybe 1,500 rpm
When its working right it drops down to between 750 and 1000 rpm for idle
When its being bad it drops down to 500 rpm and then shuts itself off
Sometimes i have to restart it as many as 5 times before it stays running
The dash displays the check battery light and the parking brake light whenever it acts up and shuts itself off
It only shuts itself off during startup, never has stalled once its going

Theres no nearby infiniti dealer so i took it to nissan. They could not replicate the problem. Starts fine for them everytime. They ran diagnosis, said they couldnt find any problem, no code errors were showing. Gave it back to me.

Less than 2 hours later i try to restart it, it acts bad, took 3 retries to get it going. So i immediately brought it back, they plugged in their diagnostics. It gave them 10 code errors regarding the control module and the ABS not communicating properly or something. They rebooked me for another appointment.

After the new appointment they again said they could not find any code errors. Nothing was done. Furthermore they told me they were no longer willing to look at it anymore, in other words they said F off becayse they cant replicate the problem and im just wasting their time.

The only thing i do different than they did when they have it is pound my sound system. They turn the audio off when test driving it. I have a custom audio system done in the car and i pound it loud.

I replaced the car battery a year or so ago in vain to try and fix the issue, it didnt help. My audio system runs off two of its own batteries, so the car has 3 batteries in it.

This start/stall issue is happening more and more frequently, almost daily basis now. It used to happen maybe once out of 100 starts, now it seems to happen once out of every 3 starts.

I was previously advised to clean the throttle body heads. Will be doing this shortly but im looking for other possible suggestions as well. Has anyone had a similar problem before?

Im also going to stop using my sound system for a week and see if the vehicle still has the start/stall issue. I seem to recall trying this a year ago and it still produced the problem wether i pounded my system or not.

Is it even remotely reasonable to think my custom audio system is causing this type of problem?

The problem seems to be getting progressuvely worse, which makes me think it could be dirty throttle heads (getting dirtier). However if that was the issue wouldnt it also potentially stall once its running??

It only does it during startup, never stalled once im going, ever.

Apologies for my lack of technical understanding of cars, im no mechanic thats for sure.

Any insight or suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 PM
Broseph

Also to add. The control module/ABS error that showed was "fault C1130 stored for ABS engine signal 1 occured 10x" according to diagnostic report. But the nissan guys said the faults were all self cleared by the car later, which they said meant that has nothing to do with the issue.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Throttle body. Clean it and do the relearn procedure.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:27 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
^ Here's the DIY. A bunch of owners have reported this in the past so you're not alone. If that doesn't help, try taking it to the dealership and wait for the car to cool completely before trying to replicate the issue.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Since there is some conflicting info with the DIY, here's what i did:

-Disconnect battery
-remove tb while leaving harness connected.
-put a bunch of shop rags under and around where spraying.
-with the sensor facing up, hose off the inside with b12, wipe out with rag, gently moving the throttle plate out of the way
-reassemble
-connect battery
-throttle position relearn
-idle air volume relearn
Old 12-09-2016, 12:06 PM
si_driver
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
If suspect that your audio system could have something to do with it, disconnected everything from the car -the extra batteries and amps.

fault C1130 - I had this code on my old G35 for a couple years, it would come and go, happening more frequently over time.

Never had a problem starting the car, but my ABS and VCD stopped working ..

Finally ordered a used ABS computer on ebay for like $40 and replaced mine. No problems since, almost 3 years and 40,000 miles ....
Old 11-30-2020, 01:49 PM
Adan Nevarez

I'm having this same issue now, did you ever figure out the problem to your car?

Search this Thread