Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Sedans: DSS One Piece Driveshaft!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 07:27 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Sedans: DSS One Piece Driveshaft!

Posted this in my build thread, but thought the info may be good to have in a post of it's own:

If anyone has ever tried to find a one piece aluminum driveshaft for the V36 sedan they probably ended up in the same predicament as I did - it doesn't exist! You might ask why not use a one piece driveshaft for the G37 coupe? I did too, but no one has done this and I really didn't want to buy something that large and not have it fit. Drive Shaft Shop wouldn't let me know the length of their one piece driveshaft for the G37 coupe (trade secret?), but I was finally able roughly measure my driveshaft and ask them if they were the same size to which I was only told "Nope it's too long, it wouldn't work."

In the end the proper solution was to completely remove the driveshaft, measure it exactly, and custom order one from Drive Shaft Shop.
Name:  Rdl54bV.jpg
Views: 774
Size:  61.2 KB

About a month after measuring and ordering it finally arrived and today it was installed:
Name:  qOHbWf5.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  126.5 KB
Sedans: DSS One Piece Driveshaft!-eagintt.jpg
Sedans: DSS One Piece Driveshaft!-hlojzld.jpg

Pro's:
Strength - One piece design means no U joint or carrier bearing which can be a weak link in a two piece design. Also the yokes used are stronger than the stock ones.
Weight - One piece driveshaft weighs significantly less than the OEM two piece steel. We forgot to weigh the driveshafts to compare, but my guesstimate is 1/3 to 1/2 less weight between them.
Performance - Because of the strength and weight aspects, the one piece should be able to handle more torque as well as deliver more torque to the wheels. While it doesn't make horsepower, having less rotational mass should decrease drivetrain power loss (put more power to the ground) and allow for the engine to rev more freely.

Con's:
NVH- Possible vibration issues due to harmonics of a single rotating driveshaft may occur especially at high speeds.
Cost - To some the cost may not be worth the gain, especially if opting for CF which raises the cost even higher.
Failure - If a failure were to occur, having a single rotating driveshaft can possibly cause a lot of damage. Loops are usually a good safety measure to be considered.

The reason I did the switch was mainly for the strength aspect - as I'm aspiring to reach certain times at the dragstrip the concern of breaking the OEM two piece driveshaft has gotten more prevalent. Unfortunately the drag strip was closed last night so I wasn't able to truly test the differences. I think I will have to spend more time driving the car to make a final assessment.

In conclusion, if anyone is wanting/needing a one piece driveshaft the guinea pig work has been done and the specs are now with Drive Shaft Shop!
The following 2 users liked this post by ttv36:
SonicVQ (02-27-2016), TannerG (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 09:05 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Just wondering, why do they use a 2 piece design originally? for NVH and safety? Or a cost saving measure?
Old 02-27-2016, 09:35 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Thanks for sharing this info. It is very interesting...
Is the stock driveshaft a known weak spot?
Old 02-28-2016, 01:18 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Originally Posted by iCrap
Just wondering, why do they use a 2 piece design originally? for NVH and safety? Or a cost saving measure?
I would guess it is because Infiniti is a luxury brand so NVH and safety are probably higher on the list of priorities. On the other hand I believe the Z's have one piece carbon fiber driveshafts.

Originally Posted by SonicVQ
Thanks for sharing this info. It is very interesting...
Is the stock driveshaft a known weak spot?
Not that I know of, but there are not many G's with high wheel torque doing drag runs. I've already broken two OEM axles and based on my builder's racing experience the two piece driveshaft would be the next weakest link after upgrading the axles. I wanted to be proactive this time instead of reactive.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I was going to mention that about the axles. I broke one at launch with minor bolt ons and sticky street tires. What have you done with your axles?
Old 02-28-2016, 09:16 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

^ J when I broke my second axle in early Oct 2015 I ordered the NISSAN 2009- 370Z / G37 1200HP Pro-Level Axles - the wait time was horrible for those as the timing was holidays/SEMA and I went through a vendor instead of directly through DSS. I didn't get the axles in until late December! Hindsight..

Sedans: DSS One Piece Driveshaft!-fxx5ncq.jpg
Sedans: DSS One Piece Driveshaft!-us8lcvy.jpg
Old 02-28-2016, 09:26 AM
35Sport

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by ttv36
I would guess it is because Infiniti is a luxury brand so NVH and safety are probably higher on the list of priorities. On the other hand I believe the Z's have one piece carbon fiber driveshafts.

Not that I know of, but there are not many G's with high wheel torque doing drag runs. I've already broken two OEM axles and based on my builder's racing experience the two piece driveshaft would be the next weakest link after upgrading the axles. I wanted to be proactive this time instead of reactive.
I don't think it's because it was an Infiniti specifically because it's actually a Nissan Skyline by design. It was rebranded for other markets as Infiniti. I think it was for NVH as with many aspects of the car. It is just meant to be a more refined vehicle in general.

Nice drive shaft by the way, how much did this run you? I've been wanting a one piece for awhile but apparently I need to worry about boost first, since your two piece seems to have held up.
Old 02-28-2016, 09:47 AM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Interesting article on driveshafts from Hot Rod: Two-Piece Driveshaft Technology - Rod and Custom Magazine
Old 02-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
^ J when I broke my second axle in early Oct 2015 I ordered the NISSAN 2009- 370Z / G37 1200HP Pro-Level Axles - the wait time was horrible for those as the timing was holidays/SEMA and I went through a vendor instead of directly through DSS. I didn't get the axles in until late December! Hindsight..

Nice. When I was going to build my car these were on my list. I broke mine at the cage and the race, those seem to be the weak point.

Now if you're a real badass, snap one of those!
Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Very nice
Old 02-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Lt8Che
'Cuz Racemod-erator

Received 316 Likes on 204 Posts
Good write up. Curious to see how these react, may be on my list for Ron
Old 03-03-2016, 01:04 AM
ScrewstonNismo

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks for the post, Tony. I'll have to bend your ear again when I order my Fast Intentions kit in a few years.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:57 PM
HIGH JACKER
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DSS Onew Piece Driveshaft

ttv36 I read your post about you're driveshaft and I was searching of the world as well for one of these things and lo and behold I fell upon your post and so I inquired with driveshaft shop (DSS) about getting one of these driveshafts for my sedan and what they told me is they do not make these driveshafts for our make model cars unless we give them the measurements...
So in turn what I did was I emailed them your post and pictures and they said that they could not find anything in their data log about this driveshaft for our make model vehicle...
With that they in turn asked me to ask you for your personal name or your job phone number and I told them that more than likely this guy would be very reluctant on giving me any of his personal information...
If you could do the rest of us G owners of sedans the measurements that you gave them this would help out tremendously.
I've been going back and forth with these guys about how difficult it is for us people who work and have lives to get the measurements for them.
I don't want to bash these guys but I thought they were in the business of driveshafts not telling people to get their own measurements for a part that these guys should carry seeing that they are a drive shaft company lol...
But anyways can you please post or send me a private post with the measurements needed for this driveshaft again it would be truly appreciated...
Thank you.
HIGH JACKER
Old 09-25-2016, 02:52 PM
HIGH JACKER
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ttv36 I read your post about you're driveshaft and I was searching of the world as well for one of these things and lo and behold I fell upon your post and so I inquired with driveshaft shop (DSS) about getting one of these driveshafts for my sedan and what they told me is they do not make these driveshafts for our make model cars unless we give them the measurements...
So in turn what I did was I emailed them your post and pictures and they said that they could not find anything in their data log about this driveshaft for our make model vehicle...
With that they in turn asked me to ask you for your personal name or your job phone number and I told them that more than likely this guy would be very reluctant on giving me any of his personal information...
If you could do the rest of us G owners of sedans the measurements that you gave them this would help out tremendously.
I've been going back and forth with these guys about how difficult it is for us people who work and have lives to get the measurements for them.
I don't want to bash these guys but I thought they were in the business of driveshafts not telling people to get their own measurements for a part that these guys should carry seeing that they are a drive shaft company lol...
But anyways can you please post or send me a private post with the measurements needed for this driveshaft again it would be truly appreciated...
Thank you.
HIGH JACKER

Posted this in my build thread, but thought the info may be good to have in a post of it's own:

If anyone has ever tried to find a one piece aluminum driveshaft for the V36 sedan they probably ended up in the same predicament as I did - it doesn't exist! You might ask why not use a one piece driveshaft for the G37 coupe? I did too, but no one has done this and I really didn't want to buy something that large and not have it fit. Drive Shaft Shop wouldn't let me know the length of their one piece driveshaft for the G37 coupe (trade secret?), but I was finally able roughly measure my driveshaft and ask them if they were the same size to which I was only told "Nope it's too long, it wouldn't work."

In the end the proper solution was to completely remove the driveshaft, measure it exactly, and custom order one from Drive Shaft Shop.

About a month after measuring and ordering it finally arrived and today it was installed:

Pro's:
Strength - One piece design means no U joint or carrier bearing which can be a weak link in a two piece design. Also the yokes used are stronger than the stock ones.
Weight - One piece driveshaft weighs significantly less than the OEM two piece steel. We forgot to weigh the driveshafts to compare, but my guesstimate is 1/3 to 1/2 less weight between them.
Performance - Because of the strength and weight aspects, the one piece should be able to handle more torque as well as deliver more torque to the wheels. While it doesn't make horsepower, having less rotational mass should decrease drivetrain power loss (put more power to the ground) and allow for the engine to rev more freely.

Con's:
NVH- Possible vibration issues due to harmonics of a single rotating driveshaft may occur especially at high speeds.
Cost - To some the cost may not be worth the gain, especially if opting for CF which raises the cost even higher.
Failure - If a failure were to occur, having a single rotating driveshaft can possibly cause a lot of damage. Loops are usually a good safety measure to be considered.

The reason I did the switch was mainly for the strength aspect - as I'm aspiring to reach certain times at the dragstrip the concern of breaking the OEM two piece driveshaft has gotten more prevalent. Unfortunately the drag strip was closed last night so I wasn't able to truly test the differences. I think I will have to spend more time driving the car to make a final assessment.

In conclusion, if anyone is wanting/needing a one piece driveshaft the guinea pig work has been done and the specs are now with Drive Shaft Shop!
Old 09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Originally Posted by HIGH JACKER
I've been going back and forth with these guys about how difficult it is for us people who work and have lives to get the measurements for them...
I have replied to your PM but will reply here as well in case it could benefit others:

Unfortunately I do not know the measurements off hand. Also, at the moment I would not recommend the switch to anyone as I had major vibration issues when the one piece was installed. The car seemed to drive fine after installing the driveshaft until I got up to 70-90 mph there was an annoying vibration which only got worse as speed increased. By 120mph the car felt like it was going to wobble itself sideways. After removing the driveshaft there were plenty of gouges on one side which meant it was either not true (straight) or it was unbalanced.

Sorry, I have since gotten a new phone and I don't have access to my backup pictures right now to show the gouges as they are on my desktop computer, in a box, in a storage unit.

We are waiting to see if we can get a CF one piece and see if that will fix the vibration issues.