Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

330+ whp n/a awd possible?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Brown324

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
330+ whp n/a awd possible?

Car is a 7AT awd sedan. Up for discussion here that will lead me in the right direction. I would love to go twin turbo or supercharged but honestly that's a giant cost I can't bring myself to live with, even with a stillen kit, a catback, teams and oil coolers, a valve body upgrade and a pro tune that's well over $10k, so my hope is to spend about half that and get the most I can all motor, I have searched quite a bit and don't find a whole lot with bolt on awd dyno numbers or what they are capable of compared to rwd cars. I guess the overall dyno queen top number isn't as important as the change in power from stock to modified, but I sure would love to see 330+ awhp and wonder if it's possible?

My plan as of now is open for opinions, what do you guys think, is it possible? Should I change anything or is anything a waste?

Here's my plan:
Z1 short tubes
FI resonated test pipes (have annual visual inspection and think the resonated test pipes will pass off as hfc) or should I just do hfc instead?
Ark catback
Stillen gen 3 intake
Z1 ported upper intake
Z1 ported lower intake
63 mm bore on throttle bodies
Up rev tune by one of the most experienced in the country, Vince at RT tuning
Also considering if a water meth kit would help anything or be worth the extra $400 cost? I know they are mostly used in FI to reduce intake temps and the gains on an n/a setup would be far less, but considering the low cost I wonder if it would enable the tuner to run enough extra timing to get any kind of substantial gain that makes it worthwhile?

Thanks for any input anyone has and please tell me if I'm wasting money on anything, particularly do I need the headers for my goals?

Last edited by Brown324; 12-14-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Add info
The following users liked this post:
BigSpoon (01-20-2022)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 AM
Brown324

Worth mentioning is that I like exhaust sound, but I do have a 5 year old and could live without the excessive noise that headers test pipes and ark catback are going to make, but I don't want to sacrifice power to keep it quieter, is there any other exhaust combination that would be quieter but not sacrifice power?
BigSpoon (01-20-2022)
Old 12-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown324
Worth mentioning is that I like exhaust sound, but I do have a 5 year old and could live without the excessive noise that headers test pipes and ark catback are going to make, but I don't want to sacrifice power to keep it quieter, is there any other exhaust combination that would be quieter but not sacrifice power?
Well for exhaust wise a quiet one will be Invidea q300 the quietest one, and resonated high flow cats instead of test pipes, if you go with test pipes and ark your car will be super loud and there's no going around that!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:44 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Fast intentions resonated high flow cats are a good choice
Old 12-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Brown324

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
Well for exhaust wise a quiet one will be Invidea q300 the quietest one, and resonated high flow cats instead of test pipes, if you go with test pipes and ark your car will be super loud and there's no going around that!
No doubt, but does hfc and q300 = way less power than test pipes and ark ?
Old 12-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

I believe so, don't know numbers of the q300 gains over the ARK but to my knowledge exhaust don't add too much gains on our cars I might be wrong, also test pipes will give you more flow not sure the difference but probably won't be much more. I think you will stil benefit from those two mods and your headers will also help as well maybe someone else inputs on this on here
Old 12-14-2015, 12:48 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I'm only saying no because I think 330 WHP NA in not going to happen with out cams, full bolted tune 370Z( My buddies) made 316 WHP( 6SPD) on a pretty generous dyno. There is only one company that makes headers that will fit the X( Z1's do not fit) and those are Stillens( I hope). Upsclae is installing the stillens on his X sedan this week and will have feed back. But I'm sitting at 302 WHP and headers would only "MAYBE" add 8-10 WHP.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:11 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Just not going to happen with bolt ons through a 7AT and AWD. Too much loss in that drivetrain. You'd have to open up the valve covers to get anywhere near that number on any "normal" dyno.

May want to consider going to E85 so you can safely run more timing.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:16 PM
milkcow500
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Do what I did and wait around for a used stillen supercharger. I see them for around 4k every now and then.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:26 PM
Brown324

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
I'm only saying no because I think 330 WHP NA in not going to happen with out cams, full bolted tune 370Z( My buddies) made 316 WHP( 6SPD) on a pretty generous dyno. There is only one company that makes headers that will fit the X( Z1's do not fit) and those are Stillens( I hope). Upsclae is installing the stillens on his X sedan this week and will have feed back. But I'm sitting at 302 WHP and headers would only "MAYBE" add 8-10 WHP.
I know it's a tall task, especially with 7AT and awd, I also know there are plenty of examples of well over 330 whp n/a out there, albeit rwd or manual cars, but do those cars have headers, ported upper and lower intake, ported tb's, and water/meth for a tune that allows more timing advance? What is the highest awd 7AT dyno the date without forced induction, does anyone know?
Old 12-14-2015, 02:46 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
im curious to why you really care about dyno numbers.. they dont really mean anything the true numbers are at the track..every dyno will read different.. while you may read 300 one one you might read 285 on another..
while my dyno numbers have change do to gearing i know i would be in the 330 range or close to it if i went back to stock gearing..all my mods are in the sig..up next for me next is a Cam from jim wolf once stage 2 numbers are released and hopefully the see some higher Horsepower numbers than stage 2

click on the person's name in the thread and it gives there mods

N/A HP BRAG thread - Nissan 370Z Forum
VIVID (12-14-2015)
Old 12-14-2015, 05:52 PM
Brown324

Originally Posted by chuckie311
im curious to why you really care about dyno numbers.. they dont really mean anything the true numbers are at the track..every dyno will read different.. while you may read 300 one one you might read 285 on another..
while my dyno numbers have change do to gearing i know i would be in the 330 range or close to it if i went back to stock gearing..all my mods are in the sig..up next for me next is a Cam from jim wolf once stage 2 numbers are released and hopefully the see some higher Horsepower numbers than stage 2

click on the person's name in the thread and it gives there mods

N/A HP BRAG thread - Nissan 370Z Forum
You sir are absolutely right, just thought it would be cool to see those numbers from an X, guess I'll find out what it can do when it's done. Do you have any track times with your setup? Cracking into the 12's would make me happy...
Anybody think the water/meth is worth it?
BigSpoon (01-20-2022)
Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
It's a pretty fast car as is. Enjoy it and save your money. If you're going to spend money, spend it on brakes, tires, and sway bars.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Brown324

Originally Posted by Selym
It's a pretty fast car as is. Enjoy it and save your money. If you're going to spend money, spend it on brakes, tires, and sway bars.
Lol it's decent but trust me I'm struggling with not going turbo, once you've had a "fast" car nothing feels "fast" it was a complete turd in comparison to my g and my Acura TL and many other cars I've had but I've had a 500 whp 2300 lb Honda that would have run deep into the tens of I would have ever night real slicks for it, best I could ever muster up was an 11.60 on drag radials spinning through the first 4 gears, I'm much happier to be grown up now and have nice vehicles but the urge to go "fast" doesn't go away once you've felt what a 10 second car feels like, it's an addiction like crack haha
Old 12-14-2015, 10:50 PM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
CRACK IS WHACK!! MmmmmK.

Quick Reply: 330+ whp n/a awd possible?