Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7 speed automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 06:20 PM
bdnbfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 7 speed automatic

Anyone having trouble with their car not wanting to move when cold in reverse?
I took it in and the dealer said it was a little low on fluid. They topped it off and the problem got better. Now 4000 miles later it is doing it again. Not every time though. Also if I use the paddles in drive (not sport) I get a rough down shift to 4th most of the time. Don't know how to check fluid!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:15 PM
00Max00

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Why is it low on fluid to begin with? Is there any leak? It is probably low again. I think the 7 speed is a sealed lifetime unit, doesn't even have a dipstick.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:42 PM
bdnbfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no leaks we can see, no fluid on the ground or anywhere under car. i too thought it was a sealed unit.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
It's not a sealed unit per se, just not very user friendly as far as servicing. I just DIY'd changing my AT fluid as per this DIY thread. A bit time consuming and in my case required a helper, but not too bad.
Here's the DIY which shows the procedure very well
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...rop-clean.html
The following users liked this post:
qmantran (07-24-2015)
Old 07-25-2015, 02:40 AM
Eventan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone help... I was driving and wanted to pass a car so I stepped on the gas but the car just reved and then dropped in a lower gear and then I passed... Should it take a second or two to drop down a gear and doses it have to Rev first... I'm hoping this is not a Tran issue.. It just feels like it's changing ruff... The matanace I did was air filter, throttle bot and had a friend of mine look under the car.... Just said there was a little sweat around the Transmission... Nothing to worry about.... Could someone tell me what to d.... Should iI do a Tran oil change.?.. Thx
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

^^^What you probably experienced was the rev-matching downshift, and it can seem very abrupt the first time you feel it. The lag time can vary depending on situation. Also what year is your G? If it's 2011 or older and your transmission hasn't had any updated reflashes that may also play a part.
As far as changing your trans fluid, how many miles on your car?
Old 07-26-2015, 01:16 AM
Eventan

2009 infiniti g37x 139,000km..just found a sticker under the hood that said scratch Shield.. So I'm not sure if I can wax or polish and compound this car... I hear the scratch proof paint is only good for a couple of years.. So obviously... I'm at a stand still.. I'm not sure how the vehicle was treated because I bought it 3 weeks ago.. But the body is good and so is the undercarriage.. Engine is clean but who knows... That's y I'm asking around if transmission are a problem in these cars... Interested in the down Revs your talking about...and the reflashes?... I just find the hole auto trans very choppy when it switching to 3rd to 2nd and 1st.. And the passing gear felt like it was Reving first then dropping down... Thanks for listening .
Old 07-26-2015, 11:49 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Eventan
2009 infiniti g37x 139,000km..just found a sticker under the hood that said scratch Shield.. So I'm not sure if I can wax or polish and compound this car... I hear the scratch proof paint is only good for a couple of years.. So obviously... I'm at a stand still.. I'm not sure how the vehicle was treated because I bought it 3 weeks ago.. But the body is good and so is the undercarriage.. Engine is clean but who knows... That's y I'm asking around if transmission are a problem in these cars... Interested in the down Revs your talking about...and the reflashes?... I just find the hole auto trans very choppy when it switching to 3rd to 2nd and 1st.. And the passing gear felt like it was Reving first then dropping down... Thanks for listening .
Here's a video (370z) that explains the rev matching, maybe it will help
As far as reflashes, your 2009 has 2 or 3 reflash updates that were issued, so the Infiniti dealer should be able to look up your VIN# and see if they've been applied, if not they can do that for you (there may be a charge depending on your relationship w/ the dealer )
The AT does take some getting used to and can be hesitant in slower speeds when downshifting/coasting. It sounds like yours is performing about as expected.
At 136,000km your transmission fluid is getting to the point where it would be a good idea to have it changed out. The dealer can do this for you for about $250-300 US.
As far as scratch shield, might send a PM to Zach at Detailed Image, he's the detailing guru
https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...=newpm&u=49255
Old 07-27-2015, 02:39 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
My '12 X sedan was doing this when I purchased the car at 23,000 miles. Trans fluid changed at 30k, TBs cleaned, grounding kit installed and the problem no longer exists. It was a bit dangerous at first when attempting to maneuver and the trans. hesitated. I'd change your trans fluid and also the differentials and transfer case.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Eventan

Ya it is scary cuz it's like I can't pass a car in the city.. I mean why should I have to wait till the car decides to respond.. It's like crossing a road on foot.. I'm looking at all the reviews of the transmission being drained and refilled.. Some ppl say don't touch it and other say do a complete drain refill at the dealership with there equipment that get all 9.7quatrs of metric fluid... Do you think I should do a complete drain and fill?... I guess if I go to infiniti they can do that update tba.. Is that's what it is called?.. Any way I have a orange questions mark that now has all of a sudden relinquish it's self and it flashes at the start then stays on completely.. Is this a sensor or a low tire?.. I just got this car and I hope it doesn't keep me in full contact with the dealership...
Old 07-27-2015, 06:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Ya it is scary cuz it's like I can't pass a car in the city.. I mean why should I have to wait till the car decides to respond.. It's like crossing a road on foot.. I'm looking at all the reviews of the transmission being drained and refilled.. Some ppl say don't touch it and other say do a complete drain refill at the dealership with there equipment that get all 9.7quatrs of metric fluid... Do you think I should do a complete drain and fill?... I guess if I go to infiniti they can do that update tba.. Is that's what it is called?.. Any way I have a orange questions mark that now has all of a sudden relinquish it's self and it flashes at the start then stays on completely.. Is this a sensor or a low tire?.. I just got this car and I hope it doesn't keep me in full contact with the dealership...
Is it a yellow triangle w/ an exclamation point? If so that's a reminder that could be getting low on gas or one of your regular service items (like oil change or tires need rotating, etc.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Eventan

It looks like this (!)... Also found out that the way they do a transmission fluid change is by drainage of the fluid in the transmission and leaving the rest in the tork casing then you go back 45k later and do it again... It's not a full dump of fluids basically a dilution of the old transmission fluid.. O well better than nothing... Plus my car will be diagnosed if it needs the update first then they will charge me for that 110$..should just be free when they do the transmission fluid
Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

It looks like this (!)... Also found out that the way they do a transmission fluid change is by drainage of the fluid in the transmission and leaving the rest in the tork casing then you go back 45k later and do it again... It's not a full dump of fluids basically a dilution of the old transmission fluid.. O well better than nothing... Plus my car will be diagnosed if it needs the update first then they will charge me for that 110$..should just be free when they do the transmission fluid
Might try another dealer, even a Nissan dealer, they should be able to do a complete flush of the fluid. I DIY'd mine and it took about 14 qts.

That ! is just a reminder, not serious, probably need to reset one of your maintenance items in your gauge cluster. Check your owners manual if you haven't done it before.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 PM
Eventan

Thx for all your help.. I'll look into the matanacel book plus your rite... It should be a full drain on fluids... And the update can be done at infiniti... Thx again... You have been a big help
Old 07-28-2015, 01:03 PM
kluthage421
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I had mine done at a Nissan dealership for $183 at 30k. They have to do it for the 370z so they can do it on our cars.

Quick Reply: G37 7 speed automatic