Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

service engine soon light

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Carfanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy service engine soon light

i removed both my h1bulbs for my fog drl and started the car and got a service engine soon light now my car has no drl light obviously

could that be the reason the service light is on because there are no bulbs in the sockets therefore no drl and a safety hazard ?

coupe g37x 09

thank you
Old 02-01-2014, 10:40 AM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't know 100%, but I doubt that the lights being removed would cause a SES light to activate.

When you were removing the bulbs, did you take apart your intakes? Maybe you didn't put something back together the right way. I know I was changing city lights a few weeks ago and I could see how not putting the intakes back together properly might trigger the SES. Just a thought. Good luck though.
The following users liked this post:
Carfanatic (02-04-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I doubt it. You need to use an OBD reader to read the code. Them check the FSM it simply google the code to see the problem. Don't simply reset it without knowing what it is first and correcting the problem.
Carfanatic (02-04-2014)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:05 PM
Carfanatic

Smile Thank You

Originally Posted by sprix
I don't know 100%, but I doubt that the lights being removed would cause a SES light to activate.

When you were removing the bulbs, did you take apart your intakes? Maybe you didn't put something back together the right way. I know I was changing city lights a few weeks ago and I could see how not putting the intakes back together properly might trigger the SES. Just a thought. Good luck though.
LOL so right , well these intakes are really sensitive and have to be precisely fitted in place even if there really plasticky .... Thank You so much service light gone im going to post pics when my light setup is complete waiting on 2 bulbs now

Thanks Betty your right about the reader and looking up codes it'll be my next purchase

Thanks Guys !!!!!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:28 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Carfanatic
LOL so right , well these intakes are really sensitive and have to be precisely fitted in place even if there really plasticky .... Thank You so much service light gone im going to post pics when my light setup is complete waiting on 2 bulbs now

Thanks Betty your right about the reader and looking up codes it'll be my next purchase

Thanks Guys !!!!!
You can go to Autozone/OReillys/PepBoys type places and they'll usually be able to read the codes for you for no charge.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:47 PM
mtech369
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
for the diy'ers

download app called torque for your android phone. theres a torque lite which is free and allows you to pull dtcs for the engine fault codes only or you can opt for the paid full version which provides a lot more info on engine diagnostics and transmission info.
all you need to purchase is a "bluetooth dlc adapter" which plugs into the the vehicles existing dlc port. the bluetooth dlc adapter cost less than $25.
so for under $35 you can now pull codes and diagnose all cars to your hearts content without taking it to a repair shop. hopefully you are automotive tech savvy and are able to make the proper diagnosis and repair without "f-ing" stuff up.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
You can go to Autozone/OReillys/PepBoys type places and they'll usually be able to read the codes for you for no charge.
To bad they don't clear any ses lights, just they will give you an educated guess.
Not that I know all especially cars, but when the guy tells me my brand new HFC is defective. I figured, oh well now let's actually fix gtr problem somewhere else.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:02 PM
sprix

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks Guys !!!!!
So the light is off? Problem solved! Woot!!!

Carfanatic: 1
SES: 0
Carfanatic (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Carfanatic

Smile

YAAAAAAAAAAAAA MANNNNNN

Hey guys heres a question would you change your oil yourself or infiniti dealer ?

if you do decide to change your self i mean how do you know which oil is the best and filter ? lol its such a vast market LEFT AND RIGHT people say things

Honestly i love this forum so much good support out there

Shout Out to Everyone from Montreal Canada , cant wait to post pic of my ride im doing a lot of things to it lol light CV1's ARK Exhaust
Old 02-04-2014, 12:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Many of us DIY oil changes for a number of reasons. I do it to save money and to know that it was done 100% correctly and because I enjoy working on my car.

There is no "best" oil or filter; opinions are all over the place. If you are interested in how each one actually performs, look at the definitive oil thread (search that phrase or look at stickies) or any thread where UOA (used oil analysis) are posted. Basically almost any reputable brand full synthetic oil will protect the engine and allow you to run extended change intervals. If you'd rather stick to manufacturer recommended drain intervals, most any reputable non synthetic oil will do. Same with filters.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Carfanatic

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Many of us DIY oil changes for a number of reasons. I do it to save money and to know that it was done 100% correctly and because I enjoy working on my car.

There is no "best" oil or filter; opinions are all over the place. If you are interested in how each one actually performs, look at the definitive oil thread (search that phrase or look at stickies) or any thread where UOA (used oil analysis) are posted. Basically almost any reputable brand full synthetic oil will protect the engine and allow you to run extended change intervals. If you'd rather stick to manufacturer recommended drain intervals, most any reputable non synthetic oil will do. Same with filters.
As a noob i'd love to do an oil change i wish there was a DIY with pictures and stuff it would be awesome to see and learn things from the Pro's for us who are just starting off with our new found cars
Old 02-04-2014, 03:42 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a DIY in the DIY section. Anyways, the DIY for changing the oil in this car is pretty much the same as any car. Raise car, remove drain plug. Drain oil into pan. Replace oil filter, Reinstall drain plug, Fill back up, Test, Top off. Dump oil into nearest gutter.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Carfanatic

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I'm pretty sure there is a DIY in the DIY section. Anyways, the DIY for changing the oil in this car is pretty much the same as any car. Raise car, remove drain plug. Drain oil into pan. Replace oil filter, Reinstall drain plug, Fill back up, Test, Top off. Dump oil into nearest gutter.
LOL it was all good till the gutter part , but alright you make it seem easy but then how much oil do you put lol imagine you put too much lol Slushy motor
Old 02-04-2014, 03:58 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
LOL it was all good till the gutter part , but alright you make it seem easy but then how much oil do you put lol imagine you put too much lol Slushy motor
I put 7 quarts because I have an oil cooler and 10AN lines.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:25 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
5 quarts should do it. The most time consuming part is taking off the engine shield. Finding all the 10mm bolts and clips... Other than that it's all text book. I use Castrol full synthetic and a fram oil filter....

Quick Reply: service engine soon light