Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Engine compatibility between models? VQ37VHR

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 AM
nero209
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by soundkillr
I've already explained this before. The engine will interchange but things like injectors had minor changes over the years, some random sensors as well. Just swap it all over off your old engine.
Your real problem will be, now the guy your purchasing from will refuse to warranty the engine because he claims it won't fit.
Go find one from a 370z from may 2012 and newer. They have everything sensor wise that your 08 has, and they also have the metal timing cover gasket. The only difference is a coolant rerouting hose that you can easily cap off.
Awesome, just what I needed to hear. Thanks for clearing things up.
The following users liked this post:
Max2011 (05-11-2020)
Old 04-06-2019, 04:13 AM
patg37swap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G35s sedan hr-vhr swap

HELP

I have a vhr out of a 2011 g37x I’ve torn it apart and rwd swapped it I want to plant it in my 2007 g35s sedan I swapped the injectors it’s ready to go in. I’m in need of a wiring harness and ecu to obviously make it run but looking for insight I don’t see why if I get a g37s sedan rwd wiring harness and ecu it should work I’m just stumped and want to get cruising
Old 05-19-2020, 02:14 AM
SchwakaFlocka

Smile 2010 G37x engine needed

looking for an engine for my 2010 G37x and trans too (7at). Suspected my timing chain went and was eaten by my crankshaft.
hasnt run in about a year, getting it to the shop next week. wish me luck!
wondering if I need a g37x engine for the crankcase or if regular g37/370 engine will work.

thanks

Schwaka
Old 06-26-2020, 03:10 PM
Nery Estrada
Registered Member

Can I put in any vq37vhr engine on my 2010 g37?

Originally Posted by Mr.Squeeze
Coop you use any VQ37VHR out of any year G or 370z. You can also use a HR bottom end you would just have to bolt your heads up to it.

If your Interested in buying a built block let me know I will be willing to sell mines because I am looking to do something crazy with my spare long block.
Can I put an vq37vhr engine on my 2010 g37s ? Like for example off a 2016 qx50 ?
Old 06-20-2021, 11:57 AM
methods
Registered Member

Back from the dead. . .

Thru searching the webz I can find no reference to a difference in any of the injectors between the S, Base, and X models - from 2008 all the way thru. I am at a loss as to why a poster stated that injector swap was required.

I see PN: 16600-EY00A

Am I misreading?
"Bigger Hole"?

Does Poster mean
* Bigger hole in the fuel rail
* Bigger hole in the head?

I am guessing this is some oddity around first-gen and no longer applies?
Sigh...

-methods
Old 06-20-2021, 05:22 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Originally Posted by methods
Back from the dead. . .

Thru searching the webz I can find no reference to a difference in any of the injectors between the S, Base, and X models - from 2008 all the way thru. I am at a loss as to why a poster stated that injector swap was required.

I see PN: 16600-EY00A

Am I misreading?
"Bigger Hole"?

Does Poster mean
* Bigger hole in the fuel rail
* Bigger hole in the head?

I am guessing this is some oddity around first-gen and no longer applies?
Sigh...

-methods
To my understanding the differences should come in the form of color regardless of the years.
If they came equipped with orange then they're VHRs
Green - HR
Orange - VHR
Blue - GTRs

Old 06-21-2021, 11:07 AM
methods
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
To my understanding the differences should come in the form of color regardless of the years.
If they came equipped with orange then they're VHRs
Green - HR
Orange - VHR
Blue - GTRs
Thanks for sharing.
I will look into the subject further and report back if I learn anything.

I know nothing of these vehicles
I just found out that I have WBO2 factory, that sure is nice.

My research has shown the following
* Expect to pay about $1k shipped for a random motor from a wrecked car from a high volume source
* Expect to pay about $500 shipped for a random 7AT from a wrecked car from a high volume source
* Expect to drop $420 on unexpected bumbling's

So
I am coming up with a full 7AT swap for about two grand, and longblock+ for about a grand and change.

Damn Cheap
I looked into rebuild options... I cant see how they could compete. At a minimum you have to do the short block, but - who - is going to do that and not freshen up the valves? So we end up with something like:
* Rings
* Bearings
* Oil Pump
* All new gaskets
* All the cleaning and scraping
* Hone and likely bore
* Probably going to want to play with compression if you are in there, so Pistons
* Probably going to want rods ... sigh... best to not start down that path again...

Then up to the top
* Going to want to clean up the Valves - so - whatever that costs local or remote

Eh
If I had a friend with a shop I would consider a DIY rebuild. Since I would have to pay Pro Labor, I came up with the plan of swapping engines as required. My platform is a 2011 G37x, so... my engine is still in production with only a piece or two different. What a joy that is*

No idea what newer engines cost - like - guaranteed 42,000 miles etc. I see some of the sellers now associating VIN with Engine going so far as to take shots of the car and cluster... but... I would want to watch those sellers for a while and make sure that I am actually getting the motor I think I am. My ASSUMPTION is that you get whatever motor they feel like sending you that day. Best motors are going to go to the best customers - right?

If I run a cut yard then I am going to pull to the side my best motors for my friends and best customers. What is left goes to Random Ebay Jerk. :-) ... Sadly I am Random Ebay Jerk today, so... we will see.

-methods
Old 06-22-2021, 11:09 AM
spoolin03
Registered Member

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Methods where are you located. I may sell my 7AT in the near future
Old 06-22-2021, 11:41 AM
methods
Registered Member

I am regularly as far north has Hayward and as far south as Santa Cruz - so Bay Area California.

-methods
Old 01-15-2024, 02:16 PM
ttime4547
Registered Member

Don't mean to bump a old thread but good old google brought me here and I found the answers i needed... about to pull the trigger on a 2020 370z motor with 11k miles on it just curious about that hose that needs to be capped off? Which hose exactly? I'm sure it will be the only one left once everything is connected but still just curious. Thanks guys
Old 01-17-2024, 10:09 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by ttime4547
Don't mean to bump a old thread but good old google brought me here and I found the answers i needed... about to pull the trigger on a 2020 370z motor with 11k miles on it just curious about that hose that needs to be capped off? Which hose exactly? I'm sure it will be the only one left once everything is connected but still just curious. Thanks guys
I don't have of any hose that requires to be capped, unless you are considering the throttle body coolant line delete mod? The 370z engine would be a direct drop in and you can use all the accessories from the 370z.
Old 01-17-2024, 11:22 AM
ttime4547
Registered Member

Originally Posted by projectpanda13
I don't have of any hose that requires to be capped, unless you are considering the throttle body coolant line delete mod? The 370z engine would be a direct drop in and you can use all the accessories from the 370z.
Just going off of what this user said, he mentioned it a few times so just wanted to be clear. I guess ill pull the trigger and find out appreciate it.

"I've already explained this before. The engine will interchange but things like injectors had minor changes over the years, some random sensors as well. Just swap it all over off your old engine.
Your real problem will be, now the guy your purchasing from will refuse to warranty the engine because he claims it won't fit.
Go find one from a 370z from may 2012 and newer. They have everything sensor wise that your 08 has, and they also have the metal timing cover gasket. The only difference is a coolant rerouting hose that you can easily cap off."
Old 01-17-2024, 11:26 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
Just going off of what this user said, he mentioned it a few times so just wanted to be clear. I guess ill pull the trigger and find out appreciate it.

"I've already explained this before. The engine will interchange but things like injectors had minor changes over the years, some random sensors as well. Just swap it all over off your old engine.
Go find one from a 370z from may 2012 and newer. They have everything sensor wise that your 08 has, and they also have the metal timing cover gasket. The only difference is a coolant rerouting hose that you can easily cap off."
Yea, it seems like he's referring to the TB coolant. You don't have to and can leave it how it came originally. The 370z engine is a direct drop in for a G37.
The following users liked this post:
ttime4547 (01-17-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 02:29 PM
Grob
Registered Member

I am actually in the process of replacing the engine in my 09 G with one from a 2014 Q50 plus a handful of other parts, basically giving her 15 years worth of TLC all at once. It's possible that they were referring to the oil cooler lines from the oil filter to the drivers side of the engine. It's a super easy swap tho. Just drain your oil and coolant, pop off the 2 lines + brackets on the side of the engine, and take out the stud (no idea if that's the proper term) on the oil cooler that the filter screws onto. Then you can pop off the oil cooler. Parts you need to switch over are: block off plate from old engine, the dual coolant line with the harness clip on it, and the oil filter stud from the old engine. Oil filter stud on the old engine requires a decent size hex inserted inside to get it off.

May not specifically pertain to yours depending on model years, but I'm almost certain that this info isn't listed anywhere else on this forum. Will be drawing up some documentation to post on it's own thread eventually, but haven't gotten that far.