Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2008 G37S, won't let the engine start.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 01:21 PM
daonlyillwiz

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
Perhaps. I interpreted that as it does crank but doesn't fire. Given the context of this thread, I suppose it could mean anything. I would think the starter would make a very different sound if it attempts to turn a seized engine/crank.

Valuable lesson here. Regardless who changes your oil, check the level at least a few times shortly after the change. Also make sure your dash oil pressure indicator actually works.

YES ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK YOUR OIL PEOPLE!!!!

If the engine is seized and the starter is engaged it would make a click sound, it wouldnt rotate the engine (crank) but it would make a click sound (caused by the gear in the starter extending to engage the flywheel) thats all nothing fancy..

ps: I know this because a buddy leaked his oil out of his oil filter housing and seized the motor
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Jimbo1mcm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Pressure Light

Not second guessing the OP, but I just went out and sat in my car and looked for the oil pressure light. I found it, but I noticed that it is small and at certain seat positions, can be blocked by the steering wheel. I mean, if there is ONE light that should be huge, it is the oil pressure light! Easy to miss if its daylight, or the steering wheel is blocking it. You are really at the mercy of oil change people. They are probably the worst. The dealer is probably next worst, but it varies. I do my own oil changes and torque the OEM filter to the specs. Then I run the engine and check for leaks. So far it has worked for me.

In an earlier post I described how my wife ran her engine with no oil and it seized. Her oil pump had failed and she didn't notice it. It was a Benz diesel.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Going back many years I had a Capri (the import, before the Mercury version). I had a leak from the seal (defect) in the oil filter. I didn't have a Idiot Light (not so idiot in retrospect) and just a guage. I was in a hurry to get to work, etc. and didn't notice my preasure dropping .... in my case just the lower got damaged so had to have that rebuilt.

It happens, we all feel like crap when it does. We learn and move on .... good luck with it.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Dirty ol Dog

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thats a bad bit of luck with the oil/engine issue. Like just about everyone has said.....take it to an authorized dealer. I agree with those that said your engine is most likely damaged beyond repair. It will need to be replaced. You may be able to salvage some of the topend depending on how hot the motor actually ended up getting. I am also concerned about the statement "Torque the oil can" If you mean the oil filter... they are not meant to be over tightened. This can cause all types of issues. I have been wrong before but to the best of my knowledge you are to tighten an oil filter finger tight then a quarter turn more. If that is not so with these cars let me know. I need to do an oil change on my G37 in the next few weeks.
I hope you can prove a warranty issue or negligence and get the thing fixed for free. If not maybe you can turn this lemon into lemonade and UPGRADE..

Here is another oil/engine story. This was my wifes first car and she drove her 86 Buick Regal all day with the oil light on. Oh and there was 3 quarts of oil in the trunk. It had a minor leak and she just thought it would be fine to drive it to Sarnia 50 kilometers from Sarnia to London 100 kilometers from London back home to Watford 50 kilometers. She exited the freeway she said and got on the road to our little villiage and it made a loud "bang" 4 more kilometers with the rod out the side of the block yep she kept her foot in it smoke fire and all and headed to town. When she lifted of the pedal to make a right turn onto our street she said it made a loud screech and stalled. (finally died the poor thing) Wifey then popped it into neutral and coasted down to our house and pulled it onto the grass near the driveway. When I got home from work that day I saw the car on the lawn and as soon as I got out of my car.....the smell hit me like a wall. Burnt oil plastic metal all mixed up. I popped open the hood and it was literally a lump of greyish stuff where a motor used to be located....lol nastiest thing I've ever seen. I walked inside the house it was dark no lights on and I hear my wife ask in a very quiet voice....can you fix it? I tried not to fall down, but i laughed so hard I needed to take a knee. I felt a bit bad for her as this was her first car, and we all know how we felt about our first ride. God that was twenty years ago now. I am proud to say she now looks after her cars, and does her own minor maintenance and repairs.

cheers
Dirty
Old 03-30-2013, 01:50 AM
Jimbo1mcm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
" Can you fix it?"

Very funny!!! thanks.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 AM
chairman25

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that this thread brings up some very important points, first have a good reliable place to get your oil changed, whether it is a quick change place or the dealer. I have used both. I prefer going to the dealer if at all possible, not because they do not make mistakes, but the theory here is that they are familiar with the car and will not forget to do something.

Second, have a good reliable mechanic, again dealer or independent, it is up to you. I used to be a "Shade Tree" mechanic when cars were simplier (70's and 80's). Cars are to complex these days for people who do not have the correct training or tools to do the job.

Finally, a short story; a friend was having trouble with her car and she knew someone who said he could fix it. He told her that it needed a timing belt and water pump. He tore the thing apart and she has been without a car for several months while he tries to fix it between working a regular job and other responsibilities. Moral of the story, improper tools and little if any complete knowledge, leads to disaster.

So for the original writer of this thread, take the advice of everyone and get the car to the dealer for a complete assessment, it will cost a bundle to replace that engine, or just junk the car and buy another one with the money it will take to fix it. But you need to know what is actually going on to make a good decision. I wish you good luck on whatever you do. Let us know what happens.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:43 AM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
We bought our G used at a Nissan dealership. As part of being a customer we got 3 years/36k miles free oil changes. This dealership had an "express" option with no appointment required. I would bring my own oil in but have them supply the labor and filter. The nice thing was, the two bays used for "express" were clearly visible from the waiting area. This allowed me to watch them like a hawk and how I proceeded to catch them not using my Royal Purple (the guy tried to keep it). After the freebie ran out I use my extremely reliable, honest mechanic. Finding a great mechanic is almost like hitting the lottery.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:24 PM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Cambo
My mechanic said something about the oil can being loose so he had to torque it, and it was that same place where I had my oil changed a couple weeks ago.

And the sensor that my mechanic replaced was the camshaft sensor I believe, and the sensor I mentioned was the one that measures oil levels. If my car had no oil shouldn't it light up? I might of knocked something lose last week when I fish tailed on ice and steered into a curb. But that wasn't a big impact and barely left a mark on my rims.

I did drive the car on zero oil, but it was for about a mile... How bad is that? The car worked perfectly fine the night before, and he morning after when I took it to the city hall, at this point the cars gears started struggling and the car died out. No weird sounds, no metal scraping or clanking, no signs of anything prior to that. It just suddenly went dead.

There is also one occasion that I kept trying to start it, and it eventually turned on then died again.... No weird sounds that I know off while it ran for like 10 secs

The car is a 2008 G37s 6 mt
Im not sure if anyone caught this but OP you just had a oil change 2 weeks prior to this! Yet too your Mechanic said the Filter needed to be torqued. There is your Answer. Whom ever did your oil change is IMO Responsible. Not putting on the filter right yet a new Crush washer at every oil change is bad... I always have a small bag of crush washers I got from the Dealership. Cheap too.. those oil changing stations never change it out. I hand the Tech a washer and tell him to replace. Its recommended.

Now the question is who did that oil change???
You?
Your Mechanic?
Or another Shop?
(There is NO way after 2 Weeks our G's burn that kinda oil...)
Makes you question it all!
Meaning 1.Filter 2. Did they put oil back enough to fill? Which I know from experience they dont..
(ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK LEVEL BEFORE LEAVING SHOP)
To many thoughts but ask yourself OP and let us know...thx

If you did it... get your wallet ready...
If it was the other two...
Have them fix it at their expense! They have insurance for Fault.

I re read your post. Your Mechanic Shop did it.. they are liable on any mistakes. Get a attorney if need be but still take it to the dealership for a proper diagnoses on what happened to the motor.

Good luck

Last edited by BLAIR'N G372012; 03-30-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:10 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I think we scared the OP away...
Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM
BLAIR'N G372012

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I think we scared the OP away...
Agreed...
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
I took a look at mine to see where exactly this light is. Appears to be prominently displayed with no obstruction.

http://db.tt/C5f1cKZI - with the flash on

http://db.tt/IJwfd9Nc
Old 04-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Cambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey yeah sorry guys, I've been busy all over the place. Not having a car with school and work it's very hectic and I haven't had the time to check forums.

First of all thanks for all your responses.... and yes it is scaring me a bit.

Second of all, the mechanic been in my family for years. He's good, so i trust him, somewhat.

He said that he did a compression test on the engine and everything is fine. He said he also managed to get the engine running, but not for too long. Also when the engine was running he hears a noise which he suspects to be the timing chain but he can't seem to manage to have the engine running long enough to completely diagnose this. At this point he had it towed to a nearby Nissan dealership to have them take a look at it, it might have something to do with the car's progaming, but here's hoping for the best.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 PM
Dirty ol Dog

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
my money is on the fuel pump.
Old 04-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Vasher

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cambo
I did drive the car on zero oil, but it was for about a mile...
How do you know it was only driven 1 mile without oil? Did you drain it and go for a cruise? More than likely, you were driving w/low/no oil for awhile.

Good luck getting this one ironed out.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Cambo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vasher
How do you know it was only driven 1 mile without oil? Did you drain it and go for a cruise? More than likely, you were driving w/low/no oil for awhile.

Good luck getting this one ironed out.
There's no doubt that I was running it on low oil for quite a bit, but the most damaging thing was the run without oil.... I've been trying to be patient about this with my mechanic. I wouldn't mind paying for the damages but if it ends up costing me thousands cuz some idiot don't know how to screw in an oil filter, then it's coming out of his pocket.

Quick Reply: 2008 G37S, won't let the engine start.