Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Resetting the ECU in a G37 (with new mods)

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tomro99
After coming across resetting the ECU when you add a new part to the car, I went ahead and did so since I just got the Tanabe medallion axle back a couple weeks ago. Not sure how necessary it was to do it but still went ahead with it. Now my exhaust doesn't sound as good. Sounds tamer/quiter. Before, it would roar when I would step on it. Not so much now. The exhaust was purchasd used so it was broken in already. Sorry for the dumb question but is there any way to revert? Or am I just talking jibberish and it's just me that my exhaust sounds different?
Originally Posted by TruLux
Anyone have an answer for this?
just to confirm -- you threw on an axle back, and did the reset, and now it sounds different? there's unfortunately no way to revert back to the previous sound. likely though -- the change in tone didn't have anything to do with the ecu reset. resetting just allows the car to relearn your habits via throttle response. it doesn't change your air:fuel significantly. this whole mumbo jumbo about the car potentially running stock after mods is a bit misleading, in my opinion. More air requires more fuel, which as a byproduct, gives more power.

the change in tone is likely just your exhaust adjusting to your particular car after installation. no correlation in tone to resetting your ecu.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:57 PM
TexasBadAss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the Tip!!
I was told by my mechanic to un-hook the battery and touch positive and negative together and then turn on and leave around 1500 rpm for a second before you start driving.. but this definitely worked!! My car was acting up A LOT after I installed my new Takeda Intake and Muffler Delete w/ Custom Pipes Exhaust Mods.. Thanks A lot!!
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM
scruffydog

thanks for the help!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:52 AM
DeamonG37s

I disconnect my battery for storage and start it a few times during the winter on the warmer days and run my ac etc move the tires to sit on a dif position... It also sounds weak with a cold start. You gotta go for a rip in it after to relearn to be aggressive after your reset. Once the engine hits proper operating temp go give it a shift for a bit and come home safe tmrw start it and it should start loud... Works on mine.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM
awightguy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
got it to work on mine too
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 PM
beachg37x

I added a k&n intake and did the ecu reset and did not notice a difference with a tank of gas so I tried the same thing again. Wow it worked great. I may have missed the timing on the 7 second and 1 second will cancel the whole think. My answer would b to try again.