Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Broke Down

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 02:51 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by timp
ANMVQ, does that mean that everyone running the Stillen Kit has an open hole on the SC? Anybody washing their engine with water better beware. You would think that Stillen would put a warning about the openning?

Yes it does, Every single person running this kit beware, Anyone who washes their engine( IF it even did this once I would have wrapped a bag around it anyway) anyone with a CF hood with vents beware you will at some point get water in it and it will contaminate the SC Fluid. It doesnt help that the vent hole is on a plug that sits in a hole so water can puddle up there.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
WTF kind of a BS design is that? Thats retarded! It could of happned if you drove through a heavy rain. I mean really its in a area that is exposed to the elements. How can they prove you did it!?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Buckeye G
WTF kind of a BS design is that? Thats retarded! It could of happned if you drove through a heavy rain. I mean really its in a area that is exposed to the elements. How can they prove you did it!?

They really can't, I really did not agrue to much on the phone as I'm sitting at my desk, I guess they would just sit on I had to wash the car or something but really what kinda design is that , It out in the open in the engine bay so anything could get in there, Would have to be very small or liquid as we are finding out. I have to call then back at 5PM(1.5 hrs from now) I will get into a little on how can you prove I washed it? They cant, We see, what happens.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Buckeye G

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It needs some kind of cove or valve to release the fluid if it gets to much pressure. Its really a shoty design.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:03 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

1000% agree, I was going to build I sheild for the whole thing, But the SC let go, I still have the sheet metal in a home depot bag in the trunk.I was worried about the the belt getting wet and slipping off, Not he damn SC to have a hole in it? :/
Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 PM
godzilla619
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
sounds to me like stillen just doesnt like the idea of a no cost warranty replacement, but there are two sides to every story
Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got a pic of that vent hole? I do not recall there's such thing.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
Got a pic of that vent hole? I do not recall there's such thing.
It is there, on one of the brass caps on top of the SC. It is really small though. I dont know how you could get enough water through that hole to force out any of the lubricant and do any damage because it is so small. Maybe if you pressure washed the engine and sprayed right into the hole but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

You might be able to find a small rubber plug that fits in with just enough tension to hold it and keep out water but loose enough to blow out if you happened to overfill when changing fluid.

I will take a look at mine when I get home but I know the hole is there as the unit was overfilled from the factory and spewed out a little fluid when it was frist spun up after installation. The hole was so small that the tech working on the install did not know it was there and thought that the plug was not sealing at first. I just changed the fluid a few weeks ago and it did not have any water in it. We were real careful to not overfill as cleaning up the blowout was a pain the first time.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by dal1307
It is there, on one of the brass caps on top of the SC. It is really small though. I dont know how you could get enough water through that hole to force out any of the lubricant and do any damage because it is so small. Maybe if you pressure washed the engine and sprayed right into the hole but it doesn't sound like that is the case here.

You might be able to find a small rubber plug that fits in with just enough tension to hold it and keep out water but loose enough to blow out if you happened to overfill when changing fluid.

I will take a look at mine when I get home but I know the hole is there as the unit was overfilled from the factory and spewed out a little fluid when it was frist spun up after installation. The hole was so small that the tech working on the install did not know it was there and thought that the plug was not sealing at first. I just changed the fluid a few weeks ago and it did not have any water in it. We were real careful to not overfill as cleaning up the blowout was a pain the first time.
Dave, are we talking about the 2 brass allen key fitting that's sitting on top of the blower? Like this:

Old 07-30-2012, 09:41 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Yes he is WEIBOY I believe its the one on the left.Thanx Dave
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

I also did talk at length with them today about how this child happen kinda pushing for warranty as even vortech has never heard of This happening, like a one off? But if that's the case why not warranty it? We'll see what they say tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Yes he is WEIBOY I believe its the one on the left.Thanx Dave
Look! Those are suppose to stay intacted on the blower and if yours was off that explains why your blower is taking in water.

Btw, just trying to get a better understanding as to what had happened so pls don't take it the wrong way.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:34 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
This is not helping instill confidence in Stillen's product hope they warranty it for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:43 AM
dal1307

Dave, are we talking about the 2 brass allen key fitting that's sitting on top of the blower? Like this:

Yes, I believe that it is in one of those.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:46 AM
dal1307

Look! Those are suppose to stay intacted on the blower and if yours was off that explains why your blower is taking in water.

Btw, just trying to get a better understanding as to what had happened so pls don't take it the wrong way.
They are supposed to stay in but one has a vent hole in it, down inside the allen key hole. At least that is my understanding.

Quick Reply: Help Broke Down