Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

4.08 gears and NST pulleys installed at Baker Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:29 PM
QuickSilver08

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.08 gears and NST pulleys installed at Baker Tuning

I just picked up my car from Baker Tuning over at Baker Nissan North in Houston, Tx after having a set of 4.08 gears and NST underdrive pulley and overdrive alternator pulley installed and all I have to say is I'm very impressed. Paul and Jason took amazing care of my car and did an amazing job on it. They walked me around their shop when I first got there and showed me some of their projects and some of the cars they were working on. Very professional and very helpful. But these guys went above and beyond for me.

I got there saturday morning two weeks ago to have the gears installed and possibly my pulley's and bleed my slave cylinder on my clutch cause I had been having problems. Well when I got there they had just been informed that the gears hadn't showed. So for my effort they were going to slap the pulley's on and bleed the slave for free no questions asked. Sweet!!! Well that's when things went wrong. As soon as they let the pressure off the slave they couldn't build any back up. Turns out my master cylinder was dying. Back story to this, I had Austin Infiniti "replace" the slave, master, and clutch pedal assembly last year and have had all sorts of issues ever since. As it turns out they never replaced the master cylinder even though they said they did and that's been causing all my issues (weak clutch pedal). So after spending all day saturday trying to get the part and not being able to I had to end up leaving my car there but not before Jason came to me and told me that he wasn't going to charge me labor for the gears since I had to deal with all this. I told him that wasn't neccesary as none of this was his fault but he wouldn't have it. HUGE PROPS TO JASON!!!

Fast forward two weeks to today when I picked up my car. Jason called me and said the car was up and running and it drove nice. So I went up there and him and I went for a spin and first thing I noticed was how much tighter the steering wheel and clutch pedal were. SO much better than before. Then I pulled on the street and hammered it and this thing came alive. The gears really woke up the bottom end and the pulley's made rev matching on downshifts stupid easy. I will have to say that I was expecting more from the gears and if I did it again I'd probably do a set of 4.30's instead of the 4.08's but it was still money well spent. The 4.08's coupled with either the fast intentions long tubes or a GTM stage 2 supercharger will make for a wicked car.

I had gears, bearings, and seals installed in the rear end. All factory Nissan parts. Jason said the gears fit right in and shimmed up perfectly the first time. The teeth marks on the grease showed the teeth were meshing well and there is no whine from the rear end. My cruise control works perfectly as well and my speedometer is dead accurate up to 85mph according to GPS. At 70mph I'm turning right at 3,000rpm so it's not a huge jump. I'm attaching the link where I got all the part numbers for the swap.

I've only got about 25-30 miles so far on everything so I'll update this thread as time goes on but for now I'm very happy that I spent the money to do the gears and pullley's. They really did make the car a pleasure to drive.

And in case yall are wondering, my car is a 2008 6mt with the factory VLSD and the factory diff is putting the power to the ground very nicely actually. I don't know what Jason did but my car flat hooks and hauls *** now instead of spinning all over the dang place.

If yall are in Houston and need any work done to your vehicle call up Jason or Paul at Baker Tuning and let them help you. Both are very stand up and personable guys and both do awesome work.

Nissan 370Z Forum - View Single Post - 4.08 Frontier gear swap This is the link where I got all my part numbers from.

And a shameless plug for Baker Tuning.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:51 PM
P Casey
Premier Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
nice write up man, unreal all the trouble you had to go through. Baker tuning sounds like they have great customer service.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
QuickSilver08

I can't do an oil change without something going wrong HAHA
Old 08-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I really wanted to come meet you today and see how your car responded to the mods. Paul even called me. But I had a job working on a car this morning that took longer than anticipated. It's great to know that you are happy with the work and how it turned out.

Baker Tuning is a top notch organization. And I don't just say that because they sponsor our team. Did Paul tell you about the FI G35 he used to have back when he was cool before he got that girly car he drives now (S2K)? I figure if people trust Jason to work on their GTRs and drop TTs and Superchargers in their 370Zs (and soon G37s) he must be a pretty good tech. They've got my Top Secret front lip getting a minor repair and paint and it seems everyone's seen it but me but I've heard it looks great. I was supposed to go get it put back on today but didn't make it. Did you see the "special" car in the paint shop (the blue one)? It's going to be wicked when it's done.

Anyway props to you and to Baker Tuning for satisfying the customer. Be sure to come to some of our Houston-Austin meets sometimes. They're a blast. If you might be interested in attending an invitation only event in Houston this fall between CentexVQ and Strictly G's PM me.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 PM
QuickSilver08

I'm a member of both websites actually. And yes, Paul did shoe me the blue car and told me about the days he was cool HAHA. I was hoping to meet you to but I guess another time. I plan on coming back before long to listen to a 370z with long tubes on it cause I'm debating those next.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 AM
icfp1980

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice write up! Congrats. I'm glad it all worked out. Yes come to our meet this fall for the meet!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:10 AM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats on the setup. I've been wanting to do the 4.08 gears.

Trending Topics

Old 08-28-2011, 07:07 PM
huwee06

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Baker Tuning FTMW

I was suppose to get a set of NST pulleys damn you Paul now that dude is selling it FTL
Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 PM
QuickSilver08

I bought mine direct from NST. They are in Houston off of westpark tollway I believe.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
jbushman26

QuickSilver08, thanks much for posting and thanks for the link to the parts list. It's been a couple of years now, how are the 4.08's holding up? Any issues whatsoever? I live in Houston, have a 2010 6mt coupe and am itching to go to Baker.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:27 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 748 Likes on 356 Posts
How are the pulleys working out? Is a tune recommended after a swap?
Old 12-04-2013, 11:22 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
no tune is needed for the pulleys