Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Uprev ecu questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Redvoodoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uprev ecu questions

Does anyone know if installing an uprev tuned ecu from another G37 would cause any issues? I have almost identical modifications on my car compared to the car with the uprev ecu. I think the only difference is the owners car has different intakes than I do. The owners exhaust setup is identical to mine, same brands and all.

What are the risks if any with this kind of ecu swap?
Old 06-20-2011, 01:42 PM
eksigned

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I honestly wouldn't. ALL cars are different, that is...unless your tuner tuned based on numbers and not per the individual car. I don't know the logistics, but I would assume UpRev to be clever enough to prevent such things (licensing issues). Save up, and get your own custom tune.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:05 PM
Redvoodoo

Originally Posted by eksigned
I honestly wouldn't. ALL cars are different, that is...unless your tuner tuned based on numbers and not per the individual car. I don't know the logistics, but I would assume UpRev to be clever enough to prevent such things (licensing issues). Save up, and get your own custom tune.

From what I understand the current owner did have the car on a dyno when the ecu was tuned, so it was custom. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if the tuned ecu's were transferable, meaning that I could take it to an Uprev tuner and they would not try to charge me more than just doing a custom tune.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20 PM
coolraz

Originally Posted by Redvoodoo
From what I understand the current owner did have the car on a dyno when the ecu was tuned, so it was custom. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me if the tuned ecu's were transferable, meaning that I could take it to an Uprev tuner and they would not try to charge me more than just doing a custom tune.
The uprev "ecu" is just a flash of the regular ECU with their custom maps. So if you take that ECU (and don't forget his cable!) you can switch it over to your new car and then get a new custom flash for YOUR CAR.
Do not just put it in and expect things to work, the whole point of custom tuning is that it's specific to your car so if you take someone else's custom tune and put on your car, it will not work well (and may even cause problems)
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Redvoodoo

Originally Posted by coolraz
The uprev "ecu" is just a flash of the regular ECU with their custom maps. So if you take that ECU (and don't forget his cable!) you can switch it over to your new car and then get a new custom flash for YOUR CAR.
Do not just put it in and expect things to work, the whole point of custom tuning is that it's specific to your car so if you take someone else's custom tune and put on your car, it will not work well (and may even cause problems)
That is actually exactly what I suspected that I would need the current owners cable. I suspected that his custom tuned ecu may not work with my without having the cable and flashing the ecu with one of uprev's "out of the box" maps until I have time to get a custom tune.

Am I thinking along the correct lines here?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:32 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
i highly doubt it would work unless you put in your VIN in the ecu..when i had my truck i had to program the vin in the new ecu so it would run..