Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Performance after transmission software update

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:18 AM
Cheburashka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Performance after transmission software update

Hey Forum!

I know this topic has been discussed, but I just wanted to confirm that those people who had their transmission software updated feel that their car is not as lively as it used to be.

I have a feeling that my car is now a duller and more subdued. Is this a common behavior after the transmission update?
Old 03-30-2011, 11:19 AM
BLKG37X

Based on the 35 page thread, (which I skimmed through), it seems it's the other way around for most people.
I was actually looking forward to doing the reflash on Saturday, but "duller and more subdued" is not what I'm looking for.

I know this topic has been discussed to death, but that 35 page, 500+ post thread is a killer.
Only the people that had this done, please chime in
Old 03-30-2011, 11:44 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
For me, it does mellow out the tranny a little, thus making the shifting a little smoother. This is the complaint so the fix usually results in a compromise in something. In this case, the car is a bit less aggressive. It's not to say that the car is any slower, just feels more tamed because of the more mellow tranny.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Cheburashka

I also noticed that it holds the gears more, even when you press 2/3rd's of the way down on the gas pedal.

Also, I wanted to ask: Sometimes, i'll go from driving very tamely to needing to pass someone, so i'll put the pedal to the metal and the car would take off, then I would let go of the gas entirely and the RPM's would stick at something like 4k to 5k for about 2-3 seconds, sometimes 5 seconds. Why does this happen? Is it holding a lower gear just in case there is the need to do another passing maneuver?
Old 03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This was an update I wrote in the other thread. To me the car feels the same, just less clumsy (especially in traffic and hilly roads). Since the engine braking has been reduced the car "feels" less aggressive, but if you want it to move it will.

"The car drives smooth and accelerates hard when called upon. Only complaint is the jerky downshifts below 35 mph (especially in stop and go traffic). But thats just the nature of the beast I guess. I mean there are 3-4 shifts before 35, so the trans is doing a lot of work. I still experience the lag, but only when steping on the throttle hard after coasting. If I slowly get on the gas there is less of a lag. Then again I know a lot of you don't want to get on the gas slowly and want to make use of the power under the hood, so step on it. Do it once and you might get a lag, but do it again and the engine and trans will be ready. I've done this many times and its a thrill when engine/trans rev match and choose the right gear. This all can be done in D mode. The DS mode is of course more aggressive. This trans is a compromise of a fast shifting sports car and smooth shifting luxury car while still being fuel efficient. It's trying to do it all, which is hard to do."

Last edited by MaluG37; 03-30-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:04 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheburashka
I also noticed that it holds the gears more, even when you press 2/3rd's of the way down on the gas pedal.

Also, I wanted to ask: Sometimes, i'll go from driving very tamely to needing to pass someone, so i'll put the pedal to the metal and the car would take off, then I would let go of the gas entirely and the RPM's would stick at something like 4k to 5k for about 2-3 seconds, sometimes 5 seconds. Why does this happen? Is it holding a lower gear just in case there is the need to do another passing maneuver?
It's holding a higher rev because you stepped on it hard. It thinks you want to continue to drive aggressive so it maintains gear and is ready for your next move. It's trying to react like some driving a manual. The problem that everyone has is that 99% of the time they are just cruising to and from work and that 1% when they instantly want the power the transmission is not ready. It's not ready because the previous input have been to cruise and save fuel and it will shift accordingly, but once you step on it twice...its ready for action.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:19 PM
BuzzLY37

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
After my transmission update, my driving got smoother but when i press down the gas pedal to push more power it is more responsive. Considering my original complain was when i press on the gas pedal the car "lags" before putting out power.

So overall, on regular day/street driving, the car is more smooth and the engine is more mellow. But when you gun it it's more responsive.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:42 PM
gee wiz

I feel a slight improvement. The 40 MPH lag is still there, but reduced maybe 30-40%. After the reflash I initially noticed it selecting higher gearing when coasting, but it seems to have relearned its old ways and reverted back to lower gear selections at coast. Since my wife babies it and uses it as a daily driver to work on lower mph city streets, I sense it might also get a little confused when I get behind the wheel and drive aggressively. Overall I feel the reflash was positive.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM
BLKG37X

Sometimes I drive this car in calmly, and sometimes I drive it as if I'm being chased.
In terms of aggressive driving, does anyone regret getting the reflash?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:08 PM
BuzzLY37

nope, not regretting at all

only thing thats negative about it would be my local driving mpg went down but my high way driving mpg went up so it balanced out i would say.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
BLKG37X

^^ It would make sense that the city MPG would go down since the car stays in lower gear longer. Someone posted in the other thread that the MPG went up, which surprised me and also made me happy since I'm at 10 MPG city in NYC.
Is it much worse in the city after the reflash?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
BuzzLY37

hmmmm knowing youre in NYC i wont complain about mine lol

was about 20mpg city 25mpg freeway, now its about 18-19mpg city and 27-28 freeway
Old 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
BLKG37X

^^^ Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Shifts are smoother for me... and less frequent (significantly) in stop-and-go traffic. I ran just the TSB update for a few days while I waited for Hypertech to send me an updated calibration. I'm happy with the TSB update. It's not perfect, but they are definitely on the right track.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaluG37
This was an update I wrote in the other thread. To me the car feels the same, just less clumsy (especially in traffic and hilly roads). Since the engine braking has been reduced the car "feels" less aggressive, but if you want it to move it will.

"The car drives smooth and accelerates hard when called upon. Only complaint is the jerky downshifts below 35 mph (especially in stop and go traffic). But thats just the nature of the beast I guess. I mean there are 3-4 shifts before 35, so the trans is doing a lot of work. I still experience the lag, but only when steping on the throttle hard after coasting. If I slowly get on the gas there is less of a lag. Then again I know a lot of you don't want to get on the gas slowly and want to make use of the power under the hood, so step on it. Do it once and you might get a lag, but do it again and the engine and trans will be ready. I've done this many times and its a thrill when engine/trans rev match and choose the right gear. This all can be done in D mode. The DS mode is of course more aggressive. This trans is a compromise of a fast shifting sports car and smooth shifting luxury car while still being fuel efficient. It's trying to do it all, which is hard to do."
^^Ditto from Almatti.

Quick Reply: Performance after transmission software update