Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

2011 G37 Sedan Transmission "poll"

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 G37 Sedan Transmission "poll"

Hard to separate out the years and models in the transmission complaints threads, so I thought I'd start a very specific thread.

If you have a 2011 G37 SEDAN with the 7-speed Automatic Transmission,
how would you rate the transmission:

A) Fine. No problems worth mentioning.
B) Minor infrequent annoyances. Haven't taken it in to the shop.
C) More than annoying, have taken it in, but don't hate it yet.
D) Hate it.
E) Other (describe)

(Please list your approximate current miles you have on it as well)

Last edited by clutch5; 01-21-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
B. 500 miles. Saw the thread for the flash but might tell the dealer not to do so. Only issue to me is the ton of engine break feel and I don't prefer how high a gear it chooses at low speeds.

Oddly enough I can just shift manually to make the issues almost disappear
Old 01-21-2011, 10:51 PM
ipl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B. but i did take it to shop in phoenix, and they couldn't find a problem.

I drive under 10 mph every day for 2000 feet, then hit pavement and accelerate. It seems when I come to the next slow to a stop at the first stoplight, the transmission grabs 1st gear too soon, in "D", causing a hard shift. This seems to be the only time I can replicate my problem, but it has happened at other times.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Falcons023

B in my case as well. Usually happens as the vehicle slows down to a traffic light. Some hard shifts but no big deal...i think i am getting used to it. It's not feel as annoying as it used to be initially.

My G37 has 2600 miles...
Old 01-22-2011, 01:02 AM
smashhell

uhhh, I have the 2011 coupe.

But (A) for me, no problem for me at all.
The 7 speed auto transmission is perfect .
Old 01-22-2011, 06:57 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
a for me 2009 sedan
Old 01-22-2011, 08:06 AM
ualdep
Registered Member

B- 09 G37S- 9000mi

Just an occasional hard dwnshift; tech said it was the torque converter engaging; dont really understand how that works.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
(C -) heading toward a D. 2010 G37X. Did reflash (see the other continual Thread on this forum). Hate the Torque Converter engagement at low speeds - feels like cars of yesteryear when Overdrive was first introduced [American Cars, anyway]. I now have figured out that its The Torque Converter that seems to be the culprite for the terrible Lagging / Hesitation when at certain speeds, you step on It to accelerate, and you have an aweful hesitation....
Old 01-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Almatti
(C -) heading toward a D. 2010 G37X. Did reflash (see the other continual Thread on this forum). Hate the Torque Converter engagement at low speeds - feels like cars of yesteryear when Overdrive was first introduced [American Cars, anyway]. I now have figured out that its The Torque Converter that seems to be the culprite for the terrible Lagging / Hesitation when at certain speeds, you step on It to accelerate, and you have an aweful hesitation....
Yeah the torque converter locks up and the hesitation/lag is the time it takes to unlock and downshift.

My Frontier truck does the same thing. My i30 did it too and was a lot worse.

Im not so sure its a fault, vs "by design". Usually when I have a car that I hate the tc lockup on Ill keep it out of overdrive (manually) as long as possible. The G is no different, running in DS or manual mode helps.

Granted, I think the TC lockup can be tweaked a little (i.e. not 5th gear at 40 mph), and I thought thats what the flash was supposed to do, but maybe not.

And there is the ever present "is it really an adaptable transmission" issue.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Yeah the torque converter locks up and the hesitation/lag is the time it takes to unlock and downshift.

My Frontier truck does the same thing. My i30 did it too and was a lot worse.

Im not so sure its a fault, vs "by design". Usually when I have a car that I hate the tc lockup on Ill keep it out of overdrive (manually) as long as possible. The G is no different, running in DS or manual mode helps.

Granted, I think the TC lockup can be tweaked a little (i.e. not 5th gear at 40 mph), and I thought thats what the flash was supposed to do, but maybe not.

And there is the ever present "is it really an adaptable transmission" issue.
Chris11LE: My 07 G35X did NOT do this...But before i applied this Reflash, I had about 8.5k miles and the car was better than when first new. But seeking Utopia - I elected to apply this TSB Reflash as the anticipated cure all

After 2 days of ownership, I wanted to return my new G. But the dealer would have none of That! In retrospect, I should have insisted, but didn't. Took their initial advise and drove it mostly in DS mode which did seem to help a little. I am trying to do this "all over again" post-Reflash. So far about 400 miles since Reflash, So, So results. I'lll give it more of chance to "retrain" - sceptical though. Too many gears in the 7 AT, the TC engaged at low speeds is for MILEAGE GAINS....too bad, infiniti Ruined this car. What continues to bug me: I didn't really feel this hesitation and jerkiness on my test drive in June. Maybe it was the course they asked me to take because my Service Advisor at Pepe Infiniti ( a great guy, btw), told me upon the first complaint 2 days after delivery, that: "it is what it is,just drive the car and enjoy it!", so they knew the dissatisfaction with the Tranny/driveability was out there.

If they would have taken the G back, I was going to opt for a M37X (although I like the 2010 better than the 2011). If you read their posts on this forum: UH OH.... same problems there. How in the world did this 7AT escape the scrutiny of car reviewers??

Last edited by Almatti; 01-22-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

A request for the original poster:

Can we have a poll/survey type thread about anyone that has gotten the TSB flash to please rate their experiences and provide their model year?

Im noticing those with 08/09 seem to have great success with the flash, but 10/11 do not share that success.

Im taking my car in on Monday to the dealer and advised them about the extra "engine breaking" feel, but Im debating telling them outright NOT to flash the TCM/ECU.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:18 AM
Almatti

Chris11, the TSB will resolve the engine braking event due to the shifting - gear hunting affect. I think most, if not all, posts about the Reflash for 2010 and 2011s indicate that. It's the balance of the tranny (7 AT) behaviors that have varied results.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:27 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Almatti
Chris11, the TSB will resolve the engine braking event due to the shifting - gear hunting affect. I think most, if not all, posts about the Reflash for 2010 and 2011s indicate that. It's the balance of the tranny (7 AT) behaviors that have varied results.
Thats actually what I was getting at.

While I would like the engine braking issues resolved, if its going to be at the cost of how the tranny performs otherwise (DS mode, etc), Id rather live with the engine braking.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Cheburashka

A!

I come from driving a 6 speed, performance geared, manual trans. I think the A7 trans behaves beautifully. Just the right amount of communication. I hope that it is bulletproof and will last a LONG time.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:21 AM
clutch5

Only 4 people with a 2011 G37 sedan 7AT? Maybe the rest are too busy driving ;o)

The reason I made it so specific is I figure even a 2011 coupe with the same transmission has some programming differences e.g. to account for vehicle weight differences and probably a few other things to intentionally change the driving experience as well.

Chris: probably better if you start a new thread re: TSB experiences. Seems like a good idea since the other tranny threads have gotten so long. I'd be no help on that issue since I haven't yet bought my 2011 G37.

Quick Reply: 2011 G37 Sedan Transmission "poll"