Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Mixing 89 & 93 octane, will the tank blend them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 05:11 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I'd think that if saving money at the pump is really important then a G is probably not the best car to own.
Would it make a difference if it 1990 Infiniti M30 worth $1,200 and I was a millionaire with nothing to do with my time?

My original question was whether or not the mixed fuels would be mixed properly, not the practicality of doing so. ... but I appreciate your input!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Herkypilot
Back to the original question - Your state may not have a mid-grade gas pump, but they do in NC. Mixing the high and low is how the mid-grade gas is created and dispensed. It's mixed at the pump by drawing from both tanks - so obviously, no problem with doing what you are doing!
Great point thank you!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:20 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by MSCA
Secondly, every car manufacturer on earth knows that there will always be people who use the lowest (and obviously cheapest) octane fuel they can find, regardless of their recommended octane "requirement". Think about that for a moment....no matter what they recommend or require, they know that there will be people who still use 87 octane fuel.
Funny you bring that up. I bought my G at Sewell Infiniti of Dallas. When I was test driving different models (first the FX35 then an '08 G35, then a G37), they had to put gas in the G35. We (salesman and me) drove around to the back of the used car lot where there was a gas pump, and the salesman put in about 1/4 tank.

I noticed it was Regular, 87 octane, and asked about it. He said they use that fuel in all their test drive cars. I said "even those that need 91?" and he said "yes, they will all run just fine on 87".

When I took delivery of the G37 they said they would fill it up for me. I asked if they were going to use that pump around back behind the used car lot, and they said yes. I declined.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
When I took delivery of the G37 they said they would fill it up for me. I asked if they were going to use that pump around back behind the used car lot, and they said yes. I declined.
Why did you decline?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:24 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Pip
It's not just a question of saving money. It's a question of risk vs reward. If using the lower octane gas results in some detonation at some point and damages the engine, it's clearly not worth it. So the question comes down to how willing the OP is to take that chance. What are the probabilities that damage will occur with lower octane gas? There are a lot of variables to consider to judge that. I'd rather not roll the dice for a few bucks a year.
I am the OP and if you re-read the original post, you will see it was about how well 89 and 93 mix in the tank, not whether nor not I can run less than the required 91 octane. 1/2 tank of 89 and 1/2 tank of 93 = 1 tank of 91.

This has been clearly answered now, I'm good!
Old 11-09-2010, 05:26 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Yeah I bought a sports car to have its ignition retarded due to low-octane fuel and make the car even more sluggish, too much ignition retard can't be healthy for the engine either.
OP: Why would you run less than the required 91 in your car? I don't think anyone is suggesting that.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:27 PM
TinsleyC

Why did you decline?
I didn't want 87 octane gas in my car. It had 6k mikes in it, was already broke in, I was ready to drive it.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 PM
SM_Shadowman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah I bought a sports car to have its ignition retarded due to low-octane fuel and make the car even more sluggish, too much ignition retard can't be healthy for the engine either.
OP's not talking about running the car with low-octane fuel. Many gas stations offer 93, 89, and 87. The engine requires 91 -- anything above that is superfluous. So he wants to mix the 93 and 89 to make 91.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Amon_Ra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
Consider yourself lucky with those prices..... up in NY 93 Oct is currently $3.16/gal, the cheap stuff is $2.95....
2.90+ is jersey
Old 11-10-2010, 05:59 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kosstick
Question if a N/A G37 had a map that was tuned for 100 octane gas will that car be able to produce more power?
If you go through the trouble and expense of getting your car tuned, I'd say just stick with the high octane stuff. The owner of a tuned car is obviously looking for more power and is likely to drive the car hard more often anyway. So it doesn't make much sense to re-map for high octane fuel and then not use it!

BTW, 100 octane fuel is usually very expensive and is difficult to find. Are you planning on doing this?
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 AM
MSCA
Banned

That's why driving style is important to consider. If you're always driving the car like you stole it, then yes, your car might occasionally retard the ignition timing and lose a few HP. But if you drive like a Grandma (I know, not many people here do) then you'll probably never experience a power loss from retarded ignition timing.

But the point is still valid--- under "normal" driving conditions, the majority of us wouldn't even wake the knock sensors up at all when we're driving. You can actually monitor this with a scan tool that has live data stream. You'd probably be surprised how difficult it is to actually get the knock sensors to retard timing.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:09 AM
MSCA
Banned

Funny you bring that up. I bought my G at Sewell Infiniti of Dallas. When I was test driving different models (first the FX35 then an '08 G35, then a G37), they had to put gas in the G35. We (salesman and me) drove around to the back of the used car lot where there was a gas pump, and the salesman put in about 1/4 tank.

I noticed it was Regular, 87 octane, and asked about it. He said they use that fuel in all their test drive cars. I said "even those that need 91?" and he said "yes, they will all run just fine on 87".

I'd bet that 95% or more of all car dealerships use 87 octane gas to fill the tanks of new cars being delivered to customers. I know for a fact that my Infiniti dealer does this because I have a good friend who works there.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:40 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Would it make a difference if it 1990 Infiniti M30 worth $1,200 and I was a millionaire with nothing to do with my time?
No, becuase the M30 was still pretty fuel inefficient in the context of other cars at the time. If saving money at the pump is a priority then a smaller car with a more fuel efficient engine is the best bet.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:42 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OP: Why would you run less than the required 91 in your car? I don't think anyone is suggesting that.
Several people are saying there's nothing wrong with putting 87 octane gas in a car requiring premium, the engine will just retard the timing. G37Sam is saying that it's silly to buy a sports car needing premium and then hamstring it by only buying regular gas.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 AM
iggs1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At low altitudes 89 should be just fine. 91+ is needed at higher elevations. That's all. Using low octane fuel such as 87 is asking for trouble in the longer run. Engine damage due to strong knocking may occur even with ignition retarding function. In addition, 87 octane fuel reduces performance which kinda defeats the idea of owning a performance car?

Quick Reply: Mixing 89 & 93 octane, will the tank blend them?