Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Mixing 89 & 93 octane, will the tank blend them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:20 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JoshLee89
I would rather change my driving style lil bit, and not accelerate fast all the time, and cruise highway at constant speed. (heard 55~65 is most economical speed for mpg)
That will save you more in a long run.
That just won't work.. it's a 328 HP G!

I'm not looking to save gas, just looking to pay less for the required gas!

Last edited by TinsleyC; 11-06-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:24 PM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by Black Betty
That's a lot of trouble to go through to save a couple of dollars per fill up only to end up with 90 octane gas
Is it 90? I calculate 91.

89 + 2 = 91 .. .. 93 - 2 = 91

Seems like 91 to me.

One thing I need to do is find a Shell or Chevron station with decent prices. I'm buying RaceTrac gas which is inexpensive and works very well, but eveyone says it's "cheap". Guess I need to burn a tank of Shell 93 and see what I think.

I may never mix again.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:41 PM
cvipgo
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Some of you say that, but I really don't see it.

Swipe card, key in number, stick the hose in tank. I said it takes a minute, that was exaggerating!

Maybe those that laugh have never had to pay for a family of five on one blue collar income. Or maybe they have money to burn, or daddy's credit card? My kids are grown & gone and I make a lot more money today.... but it's really no trouble to do this. I try to save a buck where I can. Hell, my back is sore because I've been painting my friggin' 18x10x10 bathroom all night. I could pay someone, but...

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate everyone's comments.

One poster said there was a chance the fuels seperate when the car sits still - is this true? If so, I won't mix fuels again.
Just do what's good for you ....
It has worked for me since 2002 without any negatives except getting negative comments for sharing my experience of reducing on fuel cost which turns out to be $3750 over half of 110K miles driven so far. You multiply $3750 savings x 4 cars, an extra $15k for other fun stuff..DOMO
Happy Savings
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 AM
BiscuitWeasel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel does not separate by octane in a tank. You may have one or more "baffles" in your tank (a partition that has holes in it), but they will not prevent the mixing of gasoline grades, they just prevent the gasoline from sloshing around so much that it makes a difference in the way the car handles. When you mix any grade with any other grade they will blend within a short time of being in the tank.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:18 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cvt
to ensure proper mix of the fuel you will need to do doughnuts on your driveway...
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
No! I did that with my G8, got horrible pinging, and then was mocked incessantly by the board members after I asked the same question. Lol.
Doughnut is the key
Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
If you wanted to save on fuel why didn't you buy a more economic car that only requires 89 octane?

Spending 40 grands on a car to save a few dollars with every fill up isn't the smartest thing to do IMO
Old 11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by G37Sam
If you wanted to save on fuel why didn't you buy a more economic car that only requires 89 octane?
I don't want another car, I want the G!

You're missing the point. It's no trouble for me. I just want to put in the fuel the car NEEDS, nothing more. Mixing gives me the ability to do this.

Believe me, I can afford 93 octane fuel. I just don't care to buy more octane than I need.

Spending 40 grands on a car to save a few dollars with every fill up isn't the smartest thing to do IMO
And wasting a few dollars on fuel the car doesn't need isn't so smart either, IMO.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:20 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by devil2k
I think you should be fine but just put in a bit more 93 to be on the safe side. Here we have 87, 89 and 91. What I've heard is that the pump mixes 87 and 91 to get you 89. I think once you start driving it should blend, so maybe put in 93 first?
Yes, I put in the 93 first and usually put in a little less 89. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Wasting? You don't think 11:1 compression ratio is high enough to deserve 93 octane?
Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by BiscuitWeasel
Fuel does not separate by octane in a tank. You may have one or more "baffles" in your tank (a partition that has holes in it), but they will not prevent the mixing of gasoline grades, they just prevent the gasoline from sloshing around so much that it makes a difference in the way the car handles. When you mix any grade with any other grade they will blend within a short time of being in the tank.
Okay, great, that's what I was looking for. Couldn't seem to find any inside tank images on the web.

No more driving in circles in the parking lot... <-- JUST KIDDING

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 09:26 AM
TinsleyC

Wasting? You don't think 11:1 compression ratio is high enough to deserve 93 octane?
I don't know, is it? The requirement is 91, does it benefit more from 93?

My question was geard toward mixing to get the required fuel octane of 91, it 93 is better or offer more performance for our engines?

All I've heard is that buying and using an octane higher than what the car uses and is tuned for is a waste of money.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 AM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by NonAme
i thought mixing low quality with high quality gas was a bad idea? Just cough up the extra 5-7 dollars for a tank of premium dude. That's just cheap living. what you doing with a G37 then?

The quality of the fuel is the same. It's just the octane rating in question. High octane fuel is not "higher quality" than low octane fuel.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:48 AM
MSCA
Banned

I don't know, is it? The requirement is 91, does it benefit more from 93?

My question was geard toward mixing to get the required fuel octane of 91, it 93 is better or offer more performance for our engines?

All I've heard is that buying and using an octane higher than what the car uses and is tuned for is a waste of money.
No, it doesn't benefit from 93 octane....not in the least. What you're doing is fine. There are no disadvantages. And yes, the fuel will mix just fine. No, it doesn't separate...the guy who said that was kidding around. If he wasn't kidding around, then he doesn't know what he's talking about.

The real truth of the matter with octane is that your car will be fine with whatever octane you use. The only time your engine needs the higher octane is when it is under high loads (very hard acceleration, going up steep hills, etc...) and the rest of the time high octane isn't even necessary.

My mom drives like an old lady. I doubt here engine ever exceeds 3000 rpm under any circumstances. Wide open throttle is something that never happens in her vehicle. Yet every car she chooses has a "requirement" of 91 octane fuel. Her last car was an Acura TL. She drove that car for 140,000 miles with nothing but 87 octane fuel in it and the car never once had a problem. I explained to her that her driving style doesn't require 91 octane and that the car would be just fine on 87 octane. I also explained to her that in the event that her engine started to ping (due to running lower octane fuel under heavy load) that there are knock sensors that would retard the timing to protect the engine, so no harm will be done.

Moral of the story? Just use whatever octane you think your car needs and don't worry too much about it. If mixing octanes works for you, then go ahead and do it.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 AM
TinsleyC

^ Thanks for the summary, you've restated the way I've read & heard here and on other forums.

I do like to get into the G a bit here and there which is why I want to make sure there's at least 91 octane in there.

And thanks to everyone else for their input.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:15 AM
Pip

Some of you say that, but I really don't see it.

Swipe card, key in number, stick the hose in tank. I said it takes a minute, that was exaggerating!

Maybe those that laugh have never had to pay for a family of five on one blue collar income. Or maybe they have money to burn, or daddy's credit card? My kids are grown & gone and I make a lot more money today.... but it's really no trouble to do this. I try to save a buck where I can. Hell, my back is sore because I've been painting my friggin' 18x10x10 bathroom all night. I could pay someone, but...

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate everyone's comments.

One poster said there was a chance the fuels seperate when the car sits still - is this true? If so, I won't mix fuels again.
No, it's not true. The fuels are both non-polar hydrocarbons with essentially the same density. You'll have a homogeneous solution soon after you mix them.

Quick Reply: Mixing 89 & 93 octane, will the tank blend them?