Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Transmission - Lost of Memory HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:52 AM
jo_sand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission - Lost of Memory HELP

Hey Guys,

I own a 2009 G37x with approx 24500km on it purchased June of 2009. So I went into the dealership last week for my 24k service and while I was there I asked them to check my transmission as I noticed the harsh downshifts in DS mode. I get a call a couple hours later and the dealer is telling me that my transmission is LOSS of MEMORY.

He said that he was in the process of transferring the data from my transmission to their computers to check to see which version of software my transmission was so that they could provide the necessary update. In the process of transferring at around 80-90% it just stopped apparently. They tried to load it again and it says loss of memory.

He then proceeded to tell me that this is the first time this has every happened and their is nothing in their manual to fix it, so my car is basically not drivable. He told me that he has to call head office to see if there is a solution to fix it otherwise they will have to replace my entire transmission which is more likely to happen.

My question to you guys, has this every happened to any of you and what are the implications for my car now and down the road? I don't have a lot of experience with the mechanics of cars so is getting a brand new transmission good news or bad news for me. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I should approach this situation. Thanks and any input is appreciated.

FYI - dealer covering all the cost under warranty
Old 10-25-2010, 10:53 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why would they have to replace the whole transmission. It just sounds like the firmware was corrupted (at most). The transmission leanrs your driving habits over time time and adapts to it. If you disconnect your battery or update the transmission software then you delete its memory and the transmission needs to re-learn your driving habits.

So just losing the "transmission memory" isn't that big of a deal. However, what they're saying sounds like they messed up the actual software. I don't see why they just can't replace the transmission control unit if that's the case. There's nothing mechanically wrong with the transmission so why would it need to be replaced?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:56 AM
jo_sand

They said that the transmission has loss of memory meaning that its actual software is messed up. The dealer made it seem like the entire tranmission would need to be replaced as the control unit cannot be separated, not sure exactly. Waiting for a call from them today
Old 10-25-2010, 11:02 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
I don't get it.
Transmissions don't have software.
The car's ECU does. It controls the shifts.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:06 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

There is a TCU (transmission control unit) that controls the transmission. It "talks" with the ECU and BCM.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Danny Boy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coming out of the deer accident repair, I have the SLIP and VCD lights on. In addition, my trip computer and A/C settings will not hold memory. Every time I start car it starts fresh with zero in trip computer and A/C off. When you turn A/C on it goes to 25*.

Willowdale Infiniti back ordered an ABS module (actuator??) for me. It has been one week + and I am still waiting for parts. I think the ABS module will fix the SLIP and VCD lights but I am not sure about the connection to the trip computer and A/C memory. I hope to have these issues resolved before snow flies.

<O
The bottom line is that most dealers are not knowledgeable with these odd problems.

<O
Jo: You must be fixing this at Markham Infiniti. Do you get a loaner? Please keep us posted.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Danny Boy
Willowdale Infiniti

I found your problem.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:51 PM
jo_sand

I had those same lights appear (VDC and SLIP), those are due to the brakes needing to be serviced. I am fixing it at Markham Infiniti, they gave me a loaner G37x sedan till they figure it out. Still waiting for them to give me an update on the status, will update as I know more.

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I found your problem.
Agreed..I don't like the dealers at Willowdale Infiniti, they charged me an hour for labor for fixing a corner of my bumper that came out, and a couple months later it popped back out, and they wanted to charge me again.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:46 PM
jo_sand

Just got off the phone with the dealer, they notified me that the TCU that has loss of memory, cannot be replaced as a separate part as it is one with the transmission, so they will be putting in a brand new transmission. He told me that my transmission was built in Nov 2008, so the new transmission I will be getting is built this year(2010) and should address all the problems with the down shifts. Guess its a good thing.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:04 PM
2008G-Man

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts
Sounds like it could be a good thing in the long run. Sounds pretty dump to design the TCU as a non-serviceble unit.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM
LightsOut

you should ask them for the 7at trans.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:09 PM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jo_sand
Just got off the phone with the dealer, they notified me that the TCU that has loss of memory, cannot be replaced as a separate part as it is one with the transmission, so they will be putting in a brand new transmission. He told me that my transmission was built in Nov 2008, so the new transmission I will be getting is built this year(2010) and should address all the problems with the down shifts. Guess its a good thing.
Interesting, it reminds me of my buddy who has a Mercedes ML SUV. The chain in his transfer case broke but Mercedes didn't sell the chain by itself. The dealer had to replace the whole transfer case which was a $6,500 part.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:14 AM
dsnke1

Originally Posted by LightsOut
I agree. Is this even posible?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:21 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dsnke1
I agree. Is this even posible?
Short answer no (he'd need to replace the wiring harness, the ECU and the BCM).

Long answer yes (anything is possible with enough money).
Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 AM
Danny Boy

Originally Posted by LightsOut
7AT is the only flavour for the G37x. I don't believe there is any choice.

I suspect that the dealer is making the issue a bigger problem so that they can charge Infiniti more hours under warranty.

Quick Reply: Transmission - Lost of Memory HELP