Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifting with 7AT

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:38 AM
LINY_Rob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paddle Shifting with 7AT

Have 2010 G37xS and use the paddle shifters in both D and DS (manual) A LOT ... everyday ... downshifting and upshifting ... This is the primary reason why I wanted the Sport package, and thoroughly enjoying myself and the car!

Compared to the 5AT in my previous 2008 G35xS, I find the 7AT is more responsive overall and more fun than the 5AT when using the paddle shifters. The 5AT seemed to get a little upset if I used the paddle shifters too much whereas the 7AT seems to welcome it. The 7AT also seems to shift more cleanly without disengaging the torque converter between shifts; something that drove me crazy with the 5AT. I would get these short 100-200 rpm decreases in engine speed with an upshift ... not the full upshift. The 7AT does not do this (EXCEPT when upshifting quickly with paddles from 5th to 6th ... without giving the 7AT enough time to engage the torque converter ... or so it seems).

But with only 3000 miles on my 2010, I am worried about the 7AT's ability to handle my aggressive use of the paddle shifters over time, and if it will start to behave like the 5AT with continued hard use. Curious about other 7AT owners who use the paddle shifters aggressively and if they've experienced any problems with more miles.

One thing I have noticed is that if I try to upshift a little early from 1-2 and 2-3 (below 3500 rpm) using the paddle shifters, the tranny seems to not respond - wondering if anyone else has noticed this - it just seems a little odd - and not sure if it's a safety feature ... if the tranny will only respond more aggressively in gears 1-2-3 when above 3500 rpm.

NOTE: All of my comments with respect to the torque converter are purely speculation and not based on anything I have ever read or heard. This is based on my observations ... just so that people don't start jumpin' all over me for it!

Thanks - I appreciate hearing from other "paddle shifters" like myself!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:03 AM
majin ssj eric

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I rarely use mine but haven't noticed it refusing to shift at any rpm.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 AM
XsG

Yes, mine also doesn't like upshifting early in first and second gears. I think it's just programmed that way, but it is annoying.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:08 PM
madmach

This is actually useful/helpful information for me. Apparently you can buy the paddle shifter for any g37 car for about $250 - 300 dollars. The car is "pre-rigged" to accept the paddles.

So, i was hesitant to research where to buy these, only because i figured the paddle shift wasnt something that really captured the spirit of paddle shift in our G's. With what was talked about, it appears that it does add the enjoyment of a paddle shift feature.

****On a side note, does anyone reccomend anywhere to purchase these paddles from, and is the install difficult. Im not sure if you have to remove the wheel, with a steering wheel puller.... thus maybe voiding the warranty etc etc...

Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 12:25 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bough my paddles from Riverside Infiniti on ebay. I also saw some guy listed them for sale in the classifieds section a while ago.

You can install them without removing the steering wheel. Search the forum for detailed instructions.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM
madmach

Thanks, Hadokenuh!

Ill search the forums!
Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No prob. You'll enjoy having them. I use them when the car feels slow in D
Old 07-24-2010, 02:30 AM
indycase

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think our leather trimmed magnesium paddles look one of the best on the market. They are the same ones on the GTR. Screw those plastic ones on BMW, Lexus, Cadillac, etc.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
LINY_Rob

XsG - thanks for chiming in. Good to know it's not just happening to me.

indycase - agreed - the G's paddle shifters are hot!
Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my paddes, they make the car so much for fun to drive. I do agree though, that it would be nice if it let you shift out of first bellow 2000 rpm, sometimes it seems unnecessary to go past 2k and if you click it before 2k it will jsut ignore the shift request and you will rev all the way up if you don't click it again. All in all I am very happy with the 7at
Old 07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
PascalT

I enjoy the paddles more and more. At first i didn't really feel the need to mess with them since i was enjoying the car a lot. now i use them more when i need a bit more of a rush during my daily city commute :P
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
LINY_Rob

Discovered interesting function with paddles this week ... After reading something in these forums suggesting multiple downshifts with the left paddle shifter, I decided to see what would happen if I just held down the left paddle shifter while cruising on the highway.

While holding the left paddle, the 7AT downshifted to 5th as it normally does in "D" mode (showing "5" in the gear selector readout), then after about 1-2 seconds while still holding the left paddle, the 7AT reverted back to "D" and subsequently taking a moment to shift back into 6th and 7th. Interesting because I thought that this function only worked when holding the RIGHT paddle for 2-3 seconds in D mode that would make the 7AT revert back to "D" - didn't think this worked with the left paddle. Nice little trick for quick uptick in speed under light throttle inputs.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
antirice
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
For some reason I much prefer using the console shifter. I rarely use the paddle shifters.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:24 PM
ged1067

love the paddle shifters. use them all the time and they're responsive all the time.

GED
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LINY_Rob
Discovered interesting function with paddles this week ...

While holding the left paddle...
What do you mean, "holding" - do you mean holding it in a pulled-in condition?

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifting with 7AT