Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

GTM Performance Engineering Stage 1 Turn key Supercharger kit In house Instal II

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
I think with the head room the Vortec blower has over the Rotex they can literally push past this issue with brute force..
Look like that poor little Rotrex has to work it as* off trying to push air through a small pipe at the out let to fill the air to air cooler and then to big intake pipe to a motor with valve overlap. But then 390 wheel horses is a lot of horses already.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
lol how many times have we gone over this...
Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
I'm guessing Staples missed Tony's long post about this issue
Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
Agreed, but the amount of lift control is so dynamic that you could effectively delay the opening of the intake long enough to correct (or really mask) the issue.
I don't see the VVEL being that dynamic. It would have to be doing adjustments while opening the intake valve every cycle. The VVEL can't adjust that fast.

Originally Posted by G37Sam
Link?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
I did, where's the post?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 AM
SubSurface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast Intentions Long Tube Headers are here! - Nissan 370Z Forum

Scroll to bottom of first post.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 AM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I just read Tonys post.

Shumby, if there really was an exhaust leak or pressure leak like Tony wrote, why didn't GTM try to reinstall the FI long tube headers and see what happens? How long do you think the stock cats will hold up with the added pressure of the supercharger feeding air through them?

Last edited by GraphiteG37S; 06-21-2010 at 02:33 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
That's the post I was waiting for! Looks like I'm four days behind on the forums now. Nice to see someone spell it out.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 AM
Sam@GTM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Staples
Sam, an on-topic question. With the free-flowing mods with an aftermarket exhaust do you think it will result in boost drop on this set-up? I'm thinking heavily on this, but I currently have exhaust and test pipes with stock headers.

.... Can't wait for the results!
We were able to maintain 8 psi of boost on our 370Z with stock exhaust and our 2.5'' cat back exhaust as well, the car did better with the cat back on it . as for the test pipes the will effect the torque results more then boost .

Sam
Old 06-21-2010, 11:46 AM
GraphiteG37S

^What I'm saying is with shumbys car, after the exhaust leak/boost leak was discovered and fixed, would the FI LTH and CBE result in added gains over the stock cats and catback?

Are those stock parts capable of handling so much exhaust pressure in the longterm?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 AM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverdina
^What I'm saying is with shumbys car, after the exhaust leak/boost leak was discovered and fixed, would the FI LTH and CBE result in added gains over the stock cats and catback?

Are those stock parts capable of handling so much exhaust pressure in the longterm?
This. I'm curious as well...
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
you guys mis under stand the boost leak was not a leak at all. it was a small amout around the maf sensors and only seaped out at 20 psi when tested. this was really a non issue. BUt again showes how much attention to detail the installers at GTM have
Old 06-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Just goes back to my VQ37VHR bottom end/VQ35HR top end pipe dream
Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM
GraphiteG37S

Originally Posted by shumby
you guys mis under stand the boost leak was not a leak at all. it was a small amout around the maf sensors and only seaped out at 20 psi when tested. this was really a non issue. BUt again showes how much attention to detail the installers at GTM have
Thanks Shumby, and trust me I'm not smashing on GTM by any means because I plan on going with their supercharger one day. And Sam, I'm sorry and do not mean any offense.

I'm just curious as to why the LTH had such a negitive effect on the boost and supercharger... And Tony is saying that it was not the problem. Also Shumby, what exhaust did you have on before you went to GTM? It's just strange that you have to run OEM cats and exhaust with the supercharger. But them again, what do I know, because I'm not professional. I only ask because it's curious to me.

GTM does great work and definately know their stuff, and hopefully continue to push the limits even further.

Shumby, I hope you are enjoying your new beast.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Kverdina
Thanks Shumby, and trust me I'm not smashing on GTM by any means because I plan on going with their supercharger one day. And Sam, I'm sorry and do not mean any offense.

I'm just curious as to why the LTH had such a negitive effect on the boost and supercharger... And Tony is saying that it was not the problem. Also Shumby, what exhaust did you have on before you went to GTM? It's just strange that you have to run OEM cats and exhaust with the supercharger. But them again, what do I know, because I'm not professional. I only ask because it's curious to me.

GTM does great work and definately know their stuff, and hopefully continue to push the limits even further.

Shumby, I hope you are enjoying your new beast.
Conventional thought would say that the exhaust valve closes before the intake valve opens. That would be (relatively) true on a low-rpm engine. However, with the RPMS that the VQ37 runs, the exhaust valve actually is still open when the intake valve opens (referred to as "overlap" since the window they are open overlap with each other). When NA, this isn't an issue, as the head is generally designed so that the intake air isn't lost to the exhaust valve because there is negative pressure in the cylinder. However, when FI becomes involved, the pressure in the cylinder is positive, so the air will look for a place to escape. There is air coming from the intake valve, so the exhaust valve is where it goes (along with a pressure loss).

Less air = less fuel (or too rich) = less power.

Unfortunately, there's no way to adjust the valve timing with VVEL here (yet), so GTM compensates by adding a restriction to reduce loss, which ultimately nets more power.

Quick Reply: GTM Performance Engineering Stage 1 Turn key Supercharger kit In house Instal II