Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Problems with transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:01 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
I have cought some nice delay, i think this is because of the down shift rev match.

Mine is a 5 at, i did have a loaner with 7at.g37x.

so comparing both,the 7at is worse,seemed like it was always looking for the gear super annoying in stop and go.

I also think it has to do with the fact the throttle never fully opens & the car kinda chokes out.
I don't think either the OP or myself were referring to 'hunt' in the tranny. What I experienced was a failure to engage 2nd gear. The car just sat and the engine rev'd to redline without movement. Happened twice when I was passing and it was not a pleasnt experience.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:40 AM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
yeah, i,ve had that happen a few times.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 AM
G35Rhino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
I don't think either the OP or myself were referring to 'hunt' in the tranny. What I experienced was a failure to engage 2nd gear. The car just sat and the engine rev'd to redline without movement. Happened twice when I was passing and it was not a pleasnt experience.
This happens to me any time I try to pull out and pass on the interstate and floor the car. Huge hesitation then the car downshift to too low of a gear (i.e. almost redline) and then tries to upshift only to hang at the high revs with no actual engagement of any higher gear until I let off the gas pedal and then it upshifts. I've said it before...can be hazardous.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:57 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

I spoke with the Master Tech at my local Infiniti dealer about this in the past and he suggested that I file an offical complaint with Infiniti so that they would open an investigation into this issue. I would suggest that everyone here do the same. Its the only way we'd be able to get them to look into this.

Thx

I had started this post sometime back.....
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...g-for-1st.html

Last edited by blackfunk; 10-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
just got the answer, infiniti has made some change to their trans fliud.

the TSB calls for some new type of fluid, if that does not fix it.

Guess we will all be getting a new trans.(reminds me of the oil consumtion problem)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:38 PM
G35Rhino

Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
just got the answer, infiniti has made some change to their trans fliud.

the TSB calls for some new type of fluid, if that does not fix it.

Guess we will all be getting a new trans.(reminds me of the oil consumtion problem)
Is there a new TSB which calls for the new fluid? What is fluid supposed to do about the kind of problems we've been experiencing?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:55 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
power train automatic transmission
nhtsa#10024688
special transmission fluid
itb08-022

My dealer states it is a new fliud, all the complaints about mis shifting. delay when accelerating.

I will give the exact info from the repair order once i get the car back.

And FYI when the trans is hunting for a gear, that is a saftey issue.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Has anyone gotten this issue resolved yet? I had the issue resurface again this afternoon. pulled out to pass a corolla from a stop sign infront of a big rig and had the fear of god put into me. Engine rev'd all the way up to redline and nothing happened. Nothing at all. I looked down at the dash and for some reason it displayed 1st gear. I know for a fact that I was in sport mode (110%) sure.
Its the same routine that I do every single time because its a stop sign that I run (not proud but I do it). The person infront of me stopped at the sign, as did I. I put the car in sport mode - its a merge onto the freeway so I knew that i was going to pull around her - and as she pulled out I did to. I pull out and gave about 80% throttle, car started to pull a little then the rev counter goes all the way up.
Even if I somehow had accidentally engaged manual mode the fuel cut off didn't engage (rev's were still increasing). I then proceded to put the car back into auto mode and the tranny still did not engage and when it finally did it was VERY rough with a clunk and it was a very jerky pickup after it engaged (lurching of sorts). All of this caused the slip lights to flick on and off as if fighting for traction. This is the fifth time that this has happened and the third time where it almost caused and accident. I also have opened two cases with Infiniti consumer affairs but they've said there's little that they can do. If anyone else here is still having this issue please contact consumer affairs and open a case regarding this issue.

Thx

Luckily I had a witness on one occasion because whenever I had mentioned it in the past the tech's looked at me like I had two heads.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:13 AM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
i went to the dealer and told them about the problem.. mechanic came with me and i showed him exactly what i was experiencing and he told me it was normal -_- it seems like a lot of people have similar problems and the only real solution is to drive in manual mode when getting heavy on the gas from a stop. im pretty sure you wont get damage because of the fuel shutoff but the problem is annoying and infiniti should have the decency to attempt to fix the problem regardless of what it is. pisses me off to drop 40k on a car and then have problems like this..
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by fastlane45
i went to the dealer and told them about the problem.. mechanic came with me and i showed him exactly what i was experiencing and he told me it was normal -_- it seems like a lot of people have similar problems and the only real solution is to drive in manual mode when getting heavy on the gas from a stop. im pretty sure you wont get damage because of the fuel shutoff but the problem is annoying and infiniti should have the decency to attempt to fix the problem regardless of what it is. pisses me off to drop 40k on a car and then have problems like this..
Normal? I've floored mine a number of times from a stop and never had anything remotely like this happen. I would like to know how this is normal.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It seems to me when they don't know how to fix or simply don't want to fix something, they just say "it's normal". I've actually floored mine from a stop a couple of time in DS and never seen anything like that. How did he explain it was normal? I am curious.

Good luck though!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 AM
gsm026
Registered Member

After reading this, I took my 3 - month old G37xS on an open spot and clicked off two 0-60 runs - one in "D" and the other in "DS". No issue on either one, clicked cleanly between gears shifting just before redline.

I do find the shift programming and shift behavior annoying in normal driving; there are some random and unpredictable reaction to small throttle changes. Not nearly as refined as the 5AT in my old TL. I would class it as a minor annoyance. I have not experineced anything remotely like what you guys are describing.

Greg
Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Well I took it in today and we we're somewhat able to replicate the issue. The tech called it a 'sticky transmission'. Long story short they will be replacing the tranny. Strange though it is I really don't think think that the tranny is bad, I get the impression that the software controlling it is faulty and not selecting the correct gears. More of a confusion thing, where it upshifts then tries to downshift and gets caught out there in space.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:03 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Lord in heaven above, we need somebody to come out with a tranny tune....Cobb? Hello?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM
fastlane45

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by blackfunk
Well I took it in today and we we're somewhat able to replicate the issue. The tech called it a 'sticky transmission'. Long story short they will be replacing the tranny. Strange though it is I really don't think think that the tranny is bad, I get the impression that the software controlling it is faulty and not selecting the correct gears. More of a confusion thing, where it upshifts then tries to downshift and gets caught out there in space.
infiniti is replacing your transmission? or g sedans in general

Quick Reply: Problems with transmission?