Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

New poster/G37 owner. Q about oil.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyMG37x
If you relook at the info, the oil is the red in the diagram (ultra low friction lubricating film) on top of the DLC coating on the lifter.
"Use of an oil additive developed for DLC applications creates a more durable ultra-low friction lubricating film. The resulting reduction in cam lifter friction significantly boosts fuel efficiency."
I guess what I mean to say is that the DLC coating is part of the valve lifter, not the oil itself as you had implied earlier. The ester additive in the oil is what reduces friction even further.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:35 PM
boostard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notalk
Oil tends to "thicken" or flow less as it heats up and becomes more 30 weight like and less 5 weight like. (Think water when at 5 weight, colder, temperatures and syrup when at 30 weight, warmer, temperatures.)
Just more info for you:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...53#Post1471053

Oil type... Thickness at 75 F...Thickness at 212 F

Straight 30...... 250......................10
10W-30............100......................10
0W-30..............40 ......................10

Straight 10........30....................... 6

Originally Posted by Mike
I guess what I mean to say is that the DLC coating is part of the valve lifter, not the oil itself as you had implied earlier. The ester additive in the oil is what reduces friction even further.
This should help with some questions people have:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...279549&fpart=1

http://www.springerlink.com/content/5r6j3u60001365t7/

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=17494311
Old 05-29-2009, 08:35 PM
notalk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I appreciate you are trying to prove yourself correct and me wrong. However, please note I put "thicken" in quotes because I know the oil doesn't actually thicken.

Now, I must assume you did not read the underlying article in your post. The temperatures referred to are ambient temperatures, not oil temperatures. So, your conclusions about oil thinning when it gets hotter can not be based on something dealing with air, not oil, temperatures.

Also, the underlying article does not support any of your claims. The author writes "Thickness has the same meaning as viscosity. Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid (liquid or gas) to flow. Fluids with high viscosity, such as molasses, flow more slowly than those with low viscosity, such as water." In other words, the higher the viscosity, the slower the flow. Isn't that exactly what I wrote in my post with which you disagree? I find it ironic the author uses a water-molasses comparison while I used a water-syrup comparison for each of us to demonstrate the same principle.

Actually, I should probably thank you for referring me to a good article which supports everything I posted. Thank you.

P.S. Since you are a BITOG participant, you might want to search out the Nissan Ester oil and the Nissan European patent application posts. One poster, very knowledgable in patent applications, gives the response (denial) and reasons in the Nissan's European patent application.