Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Normal behavior for the 7AT or should I be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 02:00 PM
MaxdOut

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Normal behavior for the 7AT or should I be worried?

Purchased a new AG G37X auto with Premium, Navi, Spoiler, and Illuminated Kick Plates about 3 weeks ago and still getting a feel for the car. Bought the car with 15 miles and now has 500 miles, waiting for 1200 before seeing what she can do. Absolutely LOVE it BTW

Not sure if this is a problem or if the trans is still adapting to my driving style, but I noticed once in a while under light to medium acceleration at around 30 – 40 MPH the rpms rev up anywhere from 200-500 rpms (I think shifting out of 3rd) before shifting into the next gear. Not getting sudden jerks or anything and probably would not have noticed if I did not hear the engine race, I had the radio off.

So is this a problem or is it normal?
Could the car just be revving while skipping a gear to get into the next appropriate gear?
Old 04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Much could depend on the position of the accelerator during the upshift. The torque converters in these cars are also more aggressive than most. In the 5AT if I engage with a little more gas between shifts it will rev up slightly. What you are describing doesn't sound like anything to worry about.
200 RPM is not a lot of variance. If it were revving up 500 or 1000 between shifts then I might be concerned.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 PM
MaxdOut

Thanks for the reply Kahboom, feeling a little better about the problem.

But, once I did notice it jumped about 500 rpms before dropping down. If it's normal I am surprised no one else experienced this, kinda freaky. I know for some car's it's a sign of a slipping tranny.
But if it is dependent on accelerator position, it may make sense since am only pushing the pedal about a half inch or so when it does happen. It never happens when accelerating harder or when in DS mode.

Anyone else wanna chime in?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
I say give it some time and mention it at your next service appointment. If you are still not satisfied ask the tech to ride with you in another car on the lot to see if it does the same thing. In fact most of the loaners are now 7AT (at least in my area) so you will be able to test it out in a loaner as well. The trannys in these cars have long been solid. The 5AT tranny in the 03 - 05 coupe were also the exact same that were used in the V8 Q45. The newer ones likely have much of the same technology and quality but with different programming for rev matching etc. If all else fails you still have the warranty. So I say dont worry too much.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 PM
MaxdOut

Thanks again Kahboom, I am going to take your advice and give it some time and see what happens.