Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Question about the Rev-Mach 6MT on the 370z??

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:00 PM
pfizzle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about the Rev-Mach 6MT on the 370z??

So is the Rev-Match actually mechanical or is it electronic? Basically is there some sort of way to "reflash" the ecu to rev-match like the 6MT on the 370z? I just saw MotorTrend and they were showing the 6MT rev match in action, very basic, you push the cluch and it blips the throttle and youre on your way. Would be nice to have. Thanks fellas.

-Patrick
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
WhiteG37S

since the throttle is electronic it should be able to be done....but who will do it?
Old 02-08-2009, 05:32 PM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
definitely an additional electrical unit controlling the throttle bodies....
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Stylin G
Registered Member

Synch rev

If you watch the video of it at http://www.nissanusa.com/370z/?intcm....P2#/videos/1/ he talks about a sensor at the bottom of the shifter that can tell what gear you're coming from and going into so it knows how much to blip the throttle. I don't think this could be done in our cars with some quick fix.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:18 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by Stylin G
If you watch the video of it at http://www.nissanusa.com/370z/?intcm....P2#/videos/1/ he talks about a sensor at the bottom of the shifter that can tell what gear you're coming from and going into so it knows how much to blip the throttle. I don't think this could be done in our cars with some quick fix.
Yeah...that.

Plus, would you really want to have that? Many of the people who own 370zs seem to think that while it's a cool gimmick, it won't be as satisfying, nor as effective as a manually done downshift rev match.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My buddy has a 370Z 6MT and says it is very affective. Maybe too affective. He says when he's cruisin in 6th Gear and takes it out of gear and puts it in neutral, that the revs jump as the stick moves from the 6th gear position to the "dead-center" position in the gear box. As the shifter moves passed 5th and 4th gear (again, in Neutral) the tranny thinks you are going to downshift into one of those gears so it brings the revs up to match whatever gear it is passing... He says he imagines it becoming annoying once he slaps an exhaust on because it will be revving all the time.

Am I making any kind of sense here or is it only me that knows what I'm trying to explain? lol... Not sure if i'm being clear or not...
Old 02-10-2009, 03:15 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know I was thinking this same question, but cannot comment on the effectiveness of this mod directly since I've never driven the 370Z.. definitely something to keep an eye out for. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the 2010 G37 Coupes come with this feature on the S package.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a cool feature but it kinda takes away the fun from the raw manual tranny. Wouldn't you want complete control?

This is like the intermediate step between a 6MT and 7AT with paddles, may be the best of both worlds for some.

Anyway, I doubt you can do synchro rev match with just software. There's gotta be hardware upgrades too to make a feedback look.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 02-10-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:20 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can see kptechnology coming out with something like this for our cars if appliable.

seems pretty god, but gamedog did have a good point.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM
1BADV6

You can turn it off, don't know if it is a memory type switch to keep it off or if it needs to be turned off every time the car starts. I'm sure that's a KP switch
Old 02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
Carlitos_SS

I've been reading on other boards a bunch of driving "enthusiasts" claiming that this will take away from the "driving experience." If anything, I think it will add to the experience. It's a cool piece of technology that Nissan has developed, and I think the idea will catch on quickly, and other manufacturers will soon follow.

If we wanted true "total control" of our sports/GT cars, we would have to give up our power steering, power braking, ABS, etc... That would be total control. I'm sure back in the day when these driving aids first came out, the driving enthusiasts were saying the same thing that people are now saying about SynchroRev Matching. But eventually they came to realize that with these driving aids, they can push their vehicles much harder than they could without them.

just my .02

'Los
Old 02-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Thrillhouse

Originally Posted by Carlitos_SS
If we wanted true "total control" of our sports/GT cars, we would have to give up our power steering, power braking, ABS, etc... That would be total control. I'm sure back in the day when these driving aids first came out, the driving enthusiasts were saying the same thing that people are now saying about SynchroRev Matching. But eventually they came to realize that with these driving aids, they can push their vehicles much harder than they could without them.

just my .02

'Los
I disagree. The other systems you mention only augment existing actions of driving. You still turn the wheel to steer, push the pedal to brake, etc. The revmatch system completely removes the need to heel/toe when driving corners hard. This is a major act of controlling a manual transmission car on a race track. While it may allow you to go faster and spend more mental energy on steering/braking, it is still removing what I find to be a fun and challenging aspect of racing a car. At a track day, lap times don't matter, it's all about having the most fun possible.

It's similar to the new dual clutch transmissions. Yes they shift fast, don't have a clutch, and can work with paddles on the column, but you're removing the act of working a clutch pedal, which some of us (myself included) find very satisfying.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:06 PM
alunserjr

Reminds me of the time when these gizmos where in F1, and subsequently banned because it was more about engineers vs engineers than drivers. Sure the driver was turning the wheel, hitting the brakes and gas, but the computer was deciding if it was enough or too little and made corrections as it deemed necessary. I have to admit it was cool technology though, the cars suspension was even controlled to the point where the car would lean into the turns. After a few laps the computer eventually learned the track and took over shifting for the driver altogether. Not for me though, thats why I chose the manual over the auto to begin with.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by Carlitos_SS
I've been reading on other boards a bunch of driving "enthusiasts" claiming that this will take away from the "driving experience." If anything, I think it will add to the experience. It's a cool piece of technology that Nissan has developed, and I think the idea will catch on quickly, and other manufacturers will soon follow.

just my .02

'Los

Nicely put man!!!! If its capable of being turned off, Id love to have it. My guess it that a G37 needs a proximity sensor in the shifting linkage to know where the linkage is at in order to tell the ECM to blip the throttle. Of course the ECM would need a different calibration than whats in the stock G37 since the ECM isn't looking for an input from that sensor. I think it could be done fairly easy.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
AndrewDDS

After listening to all the pros/cons about the synchro rev, I have to insist that it's an amazing piece of engineering that will most certainly add the driving experience of our cars!! Does it take away from the heel/toe driving that the "enthusiasts" are clamoring about? When it's turned on, perhaps. But you can turn this feature off, which makes the car no different than our current 6MTs. If you want to go to the track and heel/toe through all the bends and turns, you still can. One could very easily apply the same argument that the synchro-rev "takes away from the driving experience" to the traction control we all enjoy. You think traction control takes away from the driving experience? Then turn it off; no one's complaining about having the ability to turn it on.

However, when you're half-asleep and you roll out of bed and into your car for your morning commute, the synchro-rev would allow you to enjoy a smooth drive without the extra hassle of throttle blips and rev matching your downshifts. I don't know about anyone else, but my morning commute is usually a rough drive because I'm drinking a coffee, half-asleep, dealing with stop-and-go traffic, and definitely not focusing on my transmission. To be honest, I wish I had bought an automatic every single morning. It's not until I take it out on a nice afternoon and have some fun that I remember why I chose the 6MT.

The synchro-rev transmission would give us manual tranny people the ability to have a classic manual transmission, but also allow for more daily-driving comfort and convenience when we want to focus on something other than our car. IMO, the synchro-rev transmission would make my 6MT a much better daily driver than it currently is. But once I turned it off, I would have the exact same car I already have!

Quick Reply: Question about the Rev-Mach 6MT on the 370z??