Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

clunky transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:05 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Ive noticed that honda transmissions are VERY well done.. theyre so slick and fun to shift with. clutch action is perfect as well. Honestly, Nissan could take a few tips from them.
i couldn't agree more.... come on after building cars for so long... that should at least address the issue or make it better....
Old 02-04-2009, 02:00 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm a bit confused here. What exactly do you mean by "notchy"? The only trouble I seem to run into is when the car is cold , first gear seem like the shifter is going through a tight gate, it figths engagment for a fraction of a second and then slides into gear, but I never hear a "clunk".
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM
chasemyaccord

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by speedphreak
Honestly, I drove a Dodge Challenger RT 6 speed and it didnt feel notchy to me either. Hmmm....Yes I agree, Honda makes the best trannys out there!
HA! i did not just hear that...

IMO honda makes some of the worst transmissions out there (at least as far as autos go). im one of the unfortunate ones who bought a 2000 accord v6 and my tranny is on the verge of collapse.

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme.../php/login.php

i'm not quite sure what you guys mean by notchy, but i do admit my gearbox feels a bit rough shifting from 2 to 3...like it doesn't slide into place as well as i'd like it to. it feels fine for other shifts.

believe it or not, i think my favorite MT i've driven was a 2004 Acura TSX. the shifter popped into place smoothly like butter and the clutch had a nice feel to it.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
DashKid
Banned

I agree with OP. I can feel a clunk when I hit the clutch in 1st gear but than again its not as bad as the g35. Man it was horrible that I didn't want to start in 1st gear with the g35.

Also, I couldn't agree more with people who said Nissan has crappy engine thats why the GT-R = Fail on the track but it can be said with all car company. My mom had a Honda Pilot and that thing had so many engine problems like it service engine light would randomly come on and off, SRS bag would randomly come on and off two, mind the fact that she had her engine replaced twice because something was wrong with her auto gear box. After seeing that I decided never to get Honda.

P.S I wish Nissan would make a hyrogen powered sports car like Honda =(.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by DashKid
I agree with OP. I can feel a clunk when I hit the clutch in 1st gear but than again its not as bad as the g35. Man it was horrible that I didn't want to start in 1st gear with the g35.

Also, I couldn't agree more with people who said Nissan has crappy engine thats why the GT-R = Fail on the track but it can be said with all car company. My mom had a Honda Pilot and that thing had so many engine problems like it service engine light would randomly come on and off, SRS bag would randomly come on and off two, mind the fact that she had her engine replaced twice because something was wrong with her auto gear box. After seeing that I decided never to get Honda.

P.S I wish Nissan would make a hyrogen powered sports car like Honda =(.
+1 on the clunk in 1st gear. almost like a clunk w/ rattle. usually occurs at slow speeds.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
+1 on the clunk in 1st gear. almost like a clunk w/ rattle. usually occurs at slow speeds.
yeah it happens like 30% of the time at low speeds.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:37 PM
chasemyaccord

yeah it happens like 30% of the time at low speeds.
have you brought this up to the dealership before? i asked them to look into it and they couldn't reproduce the problem...

hope there's a TSB for this later...doesn't sound good when you're pulling up to a parking lot and ppl are lookin at your bad *** ride and suddenly surprised by a noticeable clunk from pressing down on the clutch. my g/f is always like wtf is that noise...
Old 02-04-2009, 04:38 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i thought the clunk was normal?
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It is normal. It sucks but it is normal. My G before this did it and so does everyone I have ever seen.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
last lemming

does the clunk happen when the clutch pedal is released or depressed.

If its when the pedal is released it might be the pinion gear slack being taken up. Just a thought there, happened on my old Mustang GT when I swapped out the rear ring and pinion.

As for if it is when the clutch is depressed, it still might be the pretension being eliminated and the driveshaft slacks of and again you get the pinion gear "clunk".
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
DashKid
Banned

Originally Posted by chasemyaccord
have you brought this up to the dealership before? i asked them to look into it and they couldn't reproduce the problem...

hope there's a TSB for this later...doesn't sound good when you're pulling up to a parking lot and ppl are lookin at your bad *** ride and suddenly surprised by a noticeable clunk from pressing down on the clutch. my g/f is always like wtf is that noise...

Yeah they told me it was normal and they told me that changing to ester oil might help the problem.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
^^WTF! Why would different oil make your tranny noise go away?
Old 02-04-2009, 05:08 PM
last lemming

Are you sure they didn't mean your diff. oil?

Yeah they told me it was normal and they told me that changing to ester oil might help the problem.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM
sonsofliberty

to regards of people talking about honda having good tranny's..yes they're smooth like butter. but not the best trannies out there -- referring to the infamous third gear wall/popout/grind from the si/rsx-s
Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
chasemyaccord

Originally Posted by Kidcane
^^WTF! Why would different oil make your tranny noise go away?
+1, what a bunch of crap.

haha well even if ester oil is supposed to help the problem, i should still be okay since i've only had my oil changed at the dealership so far...

Quick Reply: clunky transmissions?