Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Trackday Datalog - Hello Limpmode

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 03:49 PM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
He guys... just curious... what's the build date on your cars? It's wierd that some folks are experiencing this and others are not and that we are only recently hearing about this issue.
Good idea and well worth knowing.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:26 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Every Nissan car I've owned has a limp home mode. It says in the manual it is activated after a period of "aggressive acceleration and braking". It doesn't throw a code but it says that the "event is logged and can be retrieved by your authorized Nissan dealer for assistance when assessing warranty claims"
Please, section and/or page number. I don't recall reading this and I can't find it. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:30 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Every Nissan car I've owned has a limp home mode. It says in the manual it is activated after a period of "aggressive acceleration and braking". It doesn't throw a code but it says that the "event is logged and can be retrieved by your authorized Nissan dealer for assistance when assessing warranty claims"

The engine in the G35 and my FX35 and the 350Z are the same.
I've never heard of such a thing before.

I've got about 300 hard track miles and about 90-100 SCCA autocross runs on my FX and never a problem.
I'm wound out to redline and above for basically the whole session. Same thing with the autocross.
Heavy duty pounding.
I have 74K on my FX and still use no oil.
(Just thought I'd throw the oil thing in there-)

Last edited by wireboltman; 10-03-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:55 PM
alunserjr

My G37S has a manufactured date of 12/07 and has the limp home mode. Can anyone else who has tracked their car list their manuf. date and if they experienced the limp home mode?
Old 10-03-2008, 09:06 PM
tlon19

i dounno how you guys are driving, but me and home boi go canyon runs every weekend and we never haf this kind of problems
Old 10-03-2008, 10:00 PM
alunserjr

If you have the chance to track your car you should go for it. Get on a track and let this dog off its leash! Street or canyon runs just can't compare to 20-30 minutes of non-stop track time. This car's potential is more than can be experienced on public roads. And its safer and ticket free! But in terms of the limp home mode - I doubt you are going to hit that on public roads - I haven't - and that's where the dealers have the upper hand - if they can't reproduce it on public roads - its not a problem. I think we are left on our own to solve this one. Thats why it would help if manufactured dates can be provided - its a start. Maybe ECU version is next. Is there any way to check software versions on the ECU for our cars?
Actually, looking back on the thread I see Gamedog has hit this on a canyon run - that must be a pretty serious run.

Last edited by alunserjr; 10-04-2008 at 06:35 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
Thrillhouse

My build date is 02/08
Old 10-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Greggski

Suscribing...

If this does end up being an oil temp issue - I wonder how it will effect a
G37TT with oil cooled turbos...Also, if a standalone emu can take care of it.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:02 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I was looking throught the FSM for some reset procedures and came across this paragraph that describes what you are experiencing:

TORQUE CUT CONTROL (AT HIGH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE)
ECM receives engine oil temperature signal from engine oil temperature sensor.
To avoid VVEL performance, ECM performs the engine torque cut control at high engine oil temperature.
If engine oil temperature is too high, engine oil viscosity will change. As a result, engine oil pressure is
decreased. This control is to control the VVEL operating angle by operating the VVEL actuator sub assembly.
If this control is operated, engine performance will decrease, then maximum engine speed is reduced a little,
for example.
NOTE:
If the engine oil temperature sensor is deteriorated, its characteristic will change.
In this case, the operating temperature for engine torque cut control might be decrease.
Perform Component Inspection of the engine oil temperature sensor to check for the deterioration.
Refer to EC-248, "Component Inspection".
Old 10-13-2008, 07:34 PM
G37RacerX

Originally Posted by xeroed
I was looking throught the FSM for some reset procedures and came across this paragraph that describes what you are experiencing:

TORQUE CUT CONTROL (AT HIGH ENGINE OIL TEMPERATURE)
ECM receives engine oil temperature signal from engine oil temperature sensor.
To avoid VVEL performance, ECM performs the engine torque cut control at high engine oil temperature.
If engine oil temperature is too high, engine oil viscosity will change. As a result, engine oil pressure is
decreased. This control is to control the VVEL operating angle by operating the VVEL actuator sub assembly.
If this control is operated, engine performance will decrease, then maximum engine speed is reduced a little,
for example.
NOTE:
If the engine oil temperature sensor is deteriorated, its characteristic will change.
In this case, the operating temperature for engine torque cut control might be decrease.
Perform Component Inspection of the engine oil temperature sensor to check for the deterioration.
Refer to EC-248, "Component Inspection".
Good Find!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Thrillhouse

Thanks a ton for finding that. I didn't want to fit an auxilliary oil cooler without knowing for sure that it was an oil temp issue.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 PM
alunserjr

Finally! Excellent find!

So you have to think this is common to all G37's. If only Car & Driver, or some other rag, would push the G37 for a longer duration to expose this issue. Maybe the higher visibility would motivate Infiniti to implement their own solution - and retrofit for us. In the meantime, can an auxillary oil cooler be installed without voiding the warranty?
Old 10-13-2008, 09:43 PM
chamelieon

very interesting.. i havent had this issue yet. hoping to track the car this week. everyone who is having this issue, what oil are you using?? maybe some oils hold the heat better than others and keep the others from having this problem.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
alunserjr

The dealer is changing my oil. So whatever Infiniti uses.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It also says that the temperature sensor could be the culprit, so even though its more likely that the oil is getting too hot, the sensor may not be doing a very good job.

Quick Reply: Trackday Datalog - Hello Limpmode